Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Domestic Baggage Weight Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was on my AA.com homepage six hours ago, but now it's gone. Hmmm...
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:03 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
What was the old policy? </font>
$80.00* (used to be $50.00) for every bag over 70 lbs or over the quantity limit--currently 2, but used to be 3 (with no carry-on).

*I think. Might be $75. AA offers a discount for photo/sound equipment so I haven't had to pay the full amount. Will be interesting to see if that discount is still around now (since the "new" overwieght price is now the "discount" overwieght price), and whether it applies to the 50-70 lb pieces as well.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
The Northwest policy is to be implemented (as I recall) 12-15-02. I would guess AA might do the same.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:48 am

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
The link from my homepage is gone. Rather bizarre.

Two weeks ago at MCI, while checking a sample cooler 61 lbs. I made a comment regarding that the NW new policy for checked luggage would be costing NW business, probably to the benefit of AA. Her reply was "AA is probably going to follow suit, along with other carriers."

Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:49 am

This will certainly speed up check in :-), and those new self service machines - I can see the lines forming now.....
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Glad to see AA is slowly turning into RyAAnAAir. Next fee? Pillow fee. Seat belt fee (pay for each buckling and unbuckling).
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:20 pm

So do I get a discount for not checking any bags??
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Usually when the family travels we try and pack one bag each that weighs around 70 pounds since it is easier to keep track of fewer (but a bit heavier) bags.

If AA is going to charge me for bags weighing 50-70 pounds, then each family member will pack the allowed two bags, each weighing less than 50 lbs. Since our son always travels in his own seat (as opposed to a lap baby), he is allowed two checked bags. We usually just try and cram his stuff into our bags (making them a bit heavier, but still less than 70#). From now on, he checks his own two bags (each weighing less than 50#).

I guess in the short run they will be able to charge people who didn't know about the change, but as soon as people learn that 50 pounds is the new limit, everyone will be checking two 35# bags instead of one 70# bag.

Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:16 pm

And you can always revert to the tactics described in Barbara Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible": have your kids remove as many clothing items from their bags as needed and put them on.

Such silliness on the airlines part here - you know it's easier for them to keep track of one 70 lbs. bag than it is several smaller ones, yet the latter is free while the former is not.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I have verified with a friend at AA that the change is indeed effective December 15th, apparently only for tickets issued after that date.

Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
Once again the notice is not on my homepage.

But I swear that I'm gonna start travelling with a bag of bricks on AA & NW.

The idiots at CO haven't copied this change, but I'm sure their not far behind.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I just love how the airlines compete with each other, don't you?
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
This is insane. Personally, I vote for onedog's strategy.

Although I usually fly to Europe, which isn't affected yet, there are many times on long trips where my bags fall just below the 70lb mark.

The increase of all these little fees and restrictions and cuts is getting really frustrating.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jaguar99:

I don't consider a 32" Hartman rolling suitcase at 65 lbs excessive. When traveling with small ones, two or three of these are much easier than six smaller bags.
</font>
You're going to fall afoul of overSIZE rules rather than overWEIGHT...

the dimension restriction is 62 inches, length plus width plus height... anything over 62 up to 115 costs the overSIZE fee of $80.

[plus of course any overWEIGHT fee...]

Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:58 pm
J S

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jaguar99:
But I swear that I'm gonna start travelling with a bag of bricks on AA & NW.
</font>
And if they tell you you are overweight (I mean your bags), you can just take one brick out at a time until you reach 50 lbs. They can collect a nice little pile of bricks next to every check-in counter...and a long line behind you while you unload your trunk. I like it.
-JS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.