Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles taken from my account without my approval

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CC, HH DM, SQ SLTRE, BonvoyTit, UK SL, VS Wings, UA, DL, AA
Miles taken from my account without my approval

I just logged into my account to find 15k miles taken out for an upgrade for someone yesterday. When I called the Exec Plat desk just now, they informed me this was probably done in error as the agent who handled my last call would have kept my advantage number on her screen when she processed the next call. I have been assured that this will be taken care of, but its been a few hours and miles still aren't back.
I am shocked that something like this could happen with American. Are our account secure? Or can someone just go in and take out miles? What are the precautions we have to ensure our miles are safe when the executive platinum desk can't be trusted.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by avm2806
What are the precautions we have to ensure our miles are safe when the executive platinum desk can't be trusted.
Make sure you have a current email address on your account.

Accidents can always occur even in the best run organizations, but you will always receive an email if there is mileage activity on your account so should a mistake occur you'll have a chance to correct it.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CC, HH DM, SQ SLTRE, BonvoyTit, UK SL, VS Wings, UA, DL, AA
I have my e-mail address on, yet I didn't receive any notification. It's not even in my spam box and I do usually get notifications.... Miles are back, but I am concerned that this could happen.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:16 am

I have my e-mail address on, yet I didn't receive any notification. It's not even in my spam box and I do usually get notifications.... Miles are back, but I am concerned that this could happen.
People make mistakes. They fixed it for you. This is news?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
How are human error by an airline employee and account security related? Apple's, oranges - though some do believe accounts are not as secure as they would like.

The OP has certainly reminded us why it's important to review one's account activity regularly.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
In today's impersonal world where face-to-face transactions are very rare, there will always be innocent mistakes or out-right fraud. Only by keeping an eye on your accounts and alerting the company of any suspect activity will these be found and corrected.

If it was an issue of the agent forgetting to update their screen, there are ways to prevent it. Reporting such issue will help raise visibility and either agent retraining or system re-design should be done. If it was fraud, AA Security is pretty good about tracking that down. Either way, ultimate responsibility for accuracy in your account is you.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a non-issue. It's not related to fraud or anything else. Mistakes happen. OP called in and it was fixed. Short of requiring people to appear in person and provide finger prints before miles can be transacted, these kinds of errors are going to happen. The point is that AA has an audit trail and can fix the problem.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:51 am
Suspended

Agree with everyone else, accidents happen, they've always been very good about fixing this kind of error (especially compared to SWU issues, etc.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:50 am

AA very frequently pulls up the wrong account when I call, guess the computer doesn't know the difference between a verbal "A" and "8". Seems like this error could easily happen.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
When I called the Exec Plat desk just now, they informed me this was probably done in error as the agent who handled my last call would have kept my advantage number on her screen when she processed the next call. I have been assured that this will be taken care of, but its been a few hours and miles still aren't back.
This is probably exactly what happened. At worst the miles may not show up until tomorrow since AAdvantage CS is closed on weekends.

I am shocked that something like this could happen with American. Are our account secure? Or can someone just go in and take out miles? What are the precautions we have to ensure our miles are safe when the executive platinum desk can't be trusted.
Just relax. This is how it's always been. Agents have to clear their screen before taking their next call.

Is there a potential of these kind of errors to increase with the merged airline? Possibly, since AA has adopted the USAir policy for agents that require agents to be on the phone constantly without any "down time" to work on complex itineraries by turning their phone off.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
"they informed me this was probably done in error as the agent who handled my last call would have kept my advantage number on her screen when she processed the next call"

Seriously? This is a classic US Airways bug.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Pinned
AA very frequently pulls up the wrong account when I call, guess the computer doesn't know the difference between a verbal "A" and "8". Seems like this error could easily happen.
But it does know the difference between "alfa" and "eight." Just a tip for next time
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
Is there a potential of these kind of errors to increase with the merged airline? Possibly, since AA has adopted the USAir policy for agents that require agents to be on the phone constantly without any "down time" to work on complex itineraries by turning their phone off.
Please elaborate. I hadn't heard or read about this before.
What are the precautions we have to ensure our miles are safe when the executive platinum desk can't be trusted.
A bit dramatic, don't you think?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
like bank account

Originally Posted by JDiver
How are human error by an airline employee and account security related? Apple's, oranges - though some do believe accounts are not as secure as they would like.

The OP has certainly reminded us why it's important to review one's account activity regularly.
My various points/miles accounts are like bank accounts to me-I try to monitor them regularly. Recently my USPS mailed bank statement arrived one month late, and "tampered," clearly opened with intent. Oh well, something new everyday.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've definitely witnessed a greater frequency of mileage debit hiccups since US acquired AA. I've seen multiple cases where the same award type was pulled out twice for a single award trip in a given direction, and the resolutions to such messes have required extensive time-consuming pursuits and turned sloppy sometimes. And given some of the stuff I was hearing about pricing, it was clear that there are more agents who are unfamiliar with free gateway stops on AA one-way awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.