Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agents informing when there will be a ground delay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Gate agents informing when there will be a ground delay

Wanted to see if you folks are experiencing a possible change in gate announcement policy. One should note I fly the last flight out of the day to most locations, and usually have a connection. I am finding that the gate agents will board the plane, and the FAs know there will be a ground hold for several hours due to weather ATC etc. There is no announcement before one boards, and once you board they wont let you off. I suspect with 9-11 bag matching they dont want people to leave the flights, pull bags etc. But as someone who never checks, it sure would be nice to take the flight first thing in the morning rather than wait several hours on the tarmac to get to a missed connection. This is compounded by the fact AA is not paying for a hotel, so your stuck with two hotels, the one you initially booked at the destination(after 6pm), and the one you now have to pay for at the connecting city.

Had this happen again in DFW s Sunday night Blizzard

Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:00 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Just curious -- you connect on AA starting a trip in DFW? Why?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrMan:
Wanted to see if you folks are experiencing a possible change in gate announcement policy. </font>
there is no change in policy. if you ask the correct question ["is there an FAA ground delay in place"], the gate agent will gladly look up and tell you a ground hold is in place, but they are boarding the plane anyway since it "might be lifted anytime".

there's almost no excuse for getting surprised by one of these. you can always look up ground stops yourself, at http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/ , or http://www.dispatcher.org/brief/adfbrief.html ,
and then decide whether or not you wish to board.

caveat flyer...

[This message has been edited by martin33 (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

I love DFW, however no ROC flights
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

The holdups out of DFW are deicing waits of 2+hours. No problem with waits if one flies NW, CO etc
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
a ground hold is in place, but they are boarding the plane anyway since it "might be lifted anytime".</font>
That is absolutely the case. Flying into third-world runway-equipped SFO, the king of ground-holds, I see this happen all the time: the ceiling lifts suddenly, and the expected 50 minutes ground delay (that's the technical name) evaporates and you're off to the runway with only a 10 minute delay.

Also, at times they need the gate, so that's why they board.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 9:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hillrider:
the expected 50 minutes ground delay (that's the technical name) evaporates and you're off to the runway with only a 10 minute delay.
</font>
I was using hold to refer to both "official" programs, delay and stop.

I do agree the ground-delays often evaporate early. If the expected delay is over 90 minutes, or there's an actual ground-stop underway, I think twice before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.