Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Assignment [seat assignment honored for award?]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Seat Assignment [seat assignment honored for award?]

I booked an award ticket (AA MSP to ORD) in F and made a seat selection; the booking got ticketed and confirmed a month ago. I did a dummy booking today and I was able to select a seat assigned to me in my award booking, does that mean my seat is not guaranteed since it is an award booking???
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
I booked an award ticket (AA MSP to ORD) in F and made a seat selection; the booking got ticketed and confirmed a month ago. I did a dummy booking today and I was able to select a seat assigned to me in my award booking, does that mean my seat is not guaranteed since it is an award booking???
Technically seat is never guarneteed (and it really doesn't matter if it was a reveneue or award ticket).

Was their a schedule change? up or down gauge of aircraft or a new flight number? Did you loose status? One of those could potentially trigger you loosing your seat. Otherwise it was most likely a technical glitch. I don't think you can glean anything else from this IMHO.

Also why are you doing a dummy booking? Why not just log in and open the seat map with your reservation and make/change your seat assignment?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by neo_781
Also why are you doing a dummy booking? Why not just log in and open the seat map with your reservation and make/change your seat assignment?
^
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I believe the OP is saying he is able to select the seat he currently has assigned to his award booking, when he makes a dummy booking ...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I believe the OP is saying he is able to select the seat he currently has assigned to his award booking, when he makes a dummy booking ...
Yes exactly ... still no need to do a dummy booking, I would recommend the OP going into his/her reservation and re-reserving the seat if it is available. Something happened to kick out the seat assignment. Maybe the OP didn't click "submit" after making the original assignment and the seat was never officially assigned.....
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

@neo_781: I logged into my account and looked at the seat assignment and it shows the seats I picked, but when I did the dummy booking it still shows that seat as available.

@Mark_T: You are right that is exactly what i am saying.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by neo_781
Technically seat is never guarneteed (and it really doesn't matter if it was a reveneue or award ticket).
That's what it comes down to. They actually stated that explicitly sometime during the process the most recent time I bought a ticket from AA.com. Only a *real* problem to the airline in case of IDG, where they would owe you compensation.

Yeah, it would suck to be unwillingly relocated from a window or aisle seat to the middle of the middle in Y or the lav row on a long-distance plane, but at least you're in F from MSP-ORD.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
@neo_781: I logged into my account and looked at the seat assignment and it shows the seats I picked, but when I did the dummy booking it still shows that seat as available.

@Mark_T: You are right that is exactly what i am saying.
OK, still not sure what everyone else is reading and answering as people seem to be missing the point.

If your current award reservation still shows the correct seat, you should not be able to book it on another reservation, awards are no different to any other form of reservation in that regard, once the seat is taken, nobody else can reserve it unless you are already removed from the seat.

I'd check that you definitely have the correct flight on the correct day and also make sure you are reading the seat map correctly.

If you want to post the details we can also check to see if we see the seat open (PM if you prefer).
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
OK, still not sure what everyone else is reading and answering as people seem to be missing the point.

If your current award reservation still shows the correct seat, you should not be able to book it on another reservation, awards are no different to any other form of reservation in that regard, once the seat is taken, nobody else can reserve it unless you are already removed from the seat.

I'd check that you definitely have the correct flight on the correct day and also make sure you are reading the seat map correctly.

If you want to post the details we can also check to see if we see the seat open (PM if you prefer).
Yup, extremely odd (maybe an IT glitch?) that a seat that shows reserved in your PNR is showing open for any dummy booking i.e. open on the seat map
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I am attaching the image of my reservation. Can someone please check.

June 12

Flight: 2384 MSP to ORD

Dep Time: 5:10 PM

Seat's: 3A, 3B, 3E, 3F

Last edited by INDFlyer; Mar 15, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
I am attaching the image of my reservation. Can someone please check.

June 12

Flight: 2384 MSP to ORD

Dep Time: 5:10 PM

Seat's: 3A, 3B, 3E, 3F

I see seat 3A as taken and the others as free when I use the 'view available seats' option. What did AA have to say when you called them? Have you accidentally cancelled the ticket?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I see every single seat in F available.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChrL
I see seat 3A as taken and the others as free when I use the 'view available seats' option. What did AA have to say when you called them? Have you accidentally cancelled the ticket?
ExpertFlyer shows 3A, 4A and 5A occupied...truly strange.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
ExpertFlyer shows 3A, 4A and 5A occupied...truly strange.
I show 4A, 5A occupied on EF, just like the seat map OP posted.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I changed my seats to 4E, 4F, 5E, 5F, now the seat availability shows properly. Hope they don't screw-up the booking.

A few days ago i had to battle with Hotwire to get my hotel straightened out i hope my vacation goes smoothly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...ncelation.html

Last edited by INDFlyer; Mar 15, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.