Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost ready to quit AA [denied change on restricted fare]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm curious as to how much time elapsed between the time the OP booked the ticket and when they realized they made a mistake and wanted to make changes. Situations like this usually all for last minute flights, usually within 24 hours, and it's been my experience that they are more sympathetic to fixing your mistake if it is caught within 24 hours.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Acting is just that: acting.
A professor told me that once as well (and I kept that in mind and did well.)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Neither would I. But based on some threads here, I sometimes wonder...
Sorry, I missed the winkie in your earlier post. I thought perhaps your account had been hacked by another member.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are still being paid for the miles which you gave the person. If there is payment in kind, then how is it a gift?
I didn't say it would be a gift. It would be a loan, against which there is no prohibition. There would be no sale or barter component.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I doubt AA is overly concerned about such things though
Agreed.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
I didn't say it would be a gift. It would be a loan, against which there is no prohibition. There would be no sale or barter component.
Do you know what the terms "barter" and "consideration" mean?

From the AAdvantage terms and conditions:

At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold or bartered.... Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorney's fees incurred in enforcing this rule. Use of award tickets that have been acquired ... for any ... consideration may result in the tickets being confiscated or the passenger being denied boarding. If a trip has been started, any continued travel will be at the passenger's expense on a full-fare basis. The passenger and member may also be liable to American Airlines for the cost of a full fare ticket for any segments flown on a ... bartered ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by LTRS
This is similar to why I quit AA. Got notification my father was in hospital and expected to die soon. Had 30 min to book flight and 1 hr to airport. After 3m+ butt in seat miles and 7 yrs of EXP PLUS many employee EXPs for which I paid AA couldn't have cared less. Cost 4k for me and spouse domestically. He died, I flew back and never booked another paid flight (and won't). I will use my 1.5 award miles but they won't see another dime from me.

Business ExtrAA rep actually called me and asked why we weren't using them anymore. So apparently they cared but not enough to accommodate me when I needed it. I told her loyalty needs to work BOTH ways.
Why not simply use miles instead of paying $4K for the seats?
I am not sure what you expected AA to do. If the airline doesn't offer bereavement fares, then I don't see the issue. Rather the pay the AA walk up fare, you could have flown on another carrier's bereavement fares.
I would not leave a carrier because it didn't waive published fare restrictions.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by swajames
But that's a non-sequitur. Dresses and coffee need not cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and the price of the dress or coffee doesn't go up the closer you get the date you need to purchase it... .
Bingo... Dresses need not cost hundreds of dollars... AND people need not fly between Philadelphia and NYC.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why not simply use miles instead of paying $4K for the seats?\
Doesn't AA still offer anytime awards at double the miles for the last available seat for sale? Are there any restrictions on those awards? I've only had to get one at that rate once, for a short-notice trip to Barcelona last summer, and it was painful to give up the extra miles, but it was an event I wanted to go to. Cheapest ticket was around $1,900 if I bought one.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

Second of all, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I side with AA here.

I used to run an independent rental car company. Whenever people wanted a discount, free stuff or to get out of something they'd done wrong, they told me that someone had died (or someone was in the hospital). After awhile, I got desensitized. I'm sure people do similarly to AA. The question becomes, where do they end up drawing the line? Is it only the funerals of family and spouse? Best friends who are like family? Cousins who are almost siblings?

Non-refundable and non-changeable mean exactly that, always. I'd just eat the charge and move on, especially as I'd imagine I'd have a lot of other things to do and things on my mind in your circumstance.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:01 am

Just an observation. There seems to be about an even split on this board between OP's who are outraged that every AA employee and agent does not know every rule and strictly adhere to them (visas, upgrade priority, routing and award rules, etc.) and OP's like this one who are outraged that an AA employee knew the rules and strictly adhered to them.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Do you know what the terms "barter" and "consideration" mean?

From the AAdvantage terms and conditions:
I know exactly what the terms mean. There is no court of law in the world that would deem an arrangement such as I outlined to involve barter or consideration. I would love to see an airline take me to court over this issue. Not gonna happen.

Originally Posted by dickinson
Just an observation. There seems to be about an even split on this board between OP's who are outraged that every AA employee and agent does not know every rule and strictly adhere to them (visas, upgrade priority, routing and award rules, etc.) and OP's like this one who are outraged that an AA employee knew the rules and strictly adhered to them.
And sometimes they are the same OPs. Well played. ^
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
I know exactly what the terms mean. There is no court of law in the world that would deem an arrangement such as I outlined to involve barter or consideration. I would love to see an airline take me to court over this issue. Not gonna happen.
No idea if it would be worth their time to pursue, but your expectation of the return of the miles is the 'consideration' in the deal. Without that consideration you would not be willing to provide him with the ticket ...

Buy your friend a ticket with your miles and just give it to him and you are within the rules, the moment you expect anything back from him you are outside the rules.

Pedantic perhaps, but you can't duck the rules by calling it a loan.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark_T
No idea if it would be worth their time to pursue, but your expectation of the return of the miles is the 'consideration' in the deal. Without that consideration you would not be willing to provide him with the ticket ...

Buy your friend a ticket with your miles and just give it to him and you are within the rules, the moment you expect anything back from him you are outside the rules.

Pedantic perhaps, but you can't duck the rules by calling it a loan.
This situation is very different from "bartering" miles on the internet (say)---even though it violates (the spirit) of AA's rules, there is NO way AA could know. ["We" members of FT, of course have never violated any rules (laws)--driving at 30.1 mph in a 30 mph zone say]
PS: I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, what number am I thinking of?--only one person is allowed to respond.]
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

Second of all, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I side with AA here.

I used to run an independent rental car company. Whenever people wanted a discount, free stuff or to get out of something they'd done wrong, they told me that someone had died (or someone was in the hospital). After awhile, I got desensitized. I'm sure people do similarly to AA. The question becomes, where do they end up drawing the line? Is it only the funerals of family and spouse? Best friends who are like family? Cousins who are almost siblings?

Non-refundable and non-changeable mean exactly that, always. I'd just eat the charge and move on, especially as I'd imagine I'd have a lot of other things to do and things on my mind in your circumstance.
It's well known that some college students use the "my grandmother died" excuse when then want a deadline to be extended for them. Some of them lose five or more grandmothers along the way to a bachelor's degree.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Doesn't AA still offer anytime awards at double the miles for the last available seat for sale? Are there any restrictions on those awards? I've only had to get one at that rate once, for a short-notice trip to Barcelona last summer, and it was painful to give up the extra miles, but it was an event I wanted to go to. Cheapest ticket was around $1,900 if I bought one.
AAnytime awards still have "any seat" availability, no limitations (barring married segments and one or two other obscure scenarios that have been discussed a few times,) but, yes, AAnytime will get any seat available on the plane.

As far as the issue of a "loan of miles" or whatever description one wants to use, in an emergency, no, nobody's gonna get jammed up for that, barring some very extraordinary circumstances. Completely safe, let's not get people unnecessarily paranoid over this stuff.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's well known that some college students use the "my grandmother died" excuse when then want a deadline to be extended for them. Some of them lose five or more grandmothers along the way to a bachelor's degree.
From personal experience (as a Mathematics Professor), besides dead (dying) grandmothers, I've heard lots of other "inventive" excuses.
Playing devils advocate, for some "families", there might actually be lots of grandmothers--whether any of them are dying is a different issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.