Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost ready to quit AA [denied change on restricted fare]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
sorry for your loss... I doubt any other airline other than WN or maybe B6 would be any different... my friend recently tried to change a DL ticket that was booked one week too late by mistake and would cause him to miss a wedding... DL said too bad... those are the rules on restricted fares.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:26 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
sorry for your loss... I doubt any other airline other than WN or maybe B6 would be any different... my friend recently tried to change a DL ticket that was booked one week too late by mistake and would cause him to miss a wedding... DL said too bad... those are the rules on restricted fares.
In another thread on FT, I noted that I erred in my return flts date (I found out about the error, when I wanted the hotel I was staying at to print my bp--I was trying one day too early). I used miles (at full rate) to fly the return on the date I should have been flying. [I "ate" my loss = error]
I was admonished in that thread by one or two posters, noting that AA might penalize me for not flying my paid return--I was not penalized--nor should I have been. No airline could be that draconian.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by swajames
But that's a non-sequitur. Dresses and coffee need not cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and the price of the dress or coffee doesn't go up the closer you get the date you need to purchase it...
That is EXACTLY the point. I don't complain when I need to book a last minute business trip and the fare is higher. I also don't go shopping around -- I (used to at least) stick (stuck) to AA.

Sure, AA can make the business decision that my loyalty should not be taken into account for bereavement or similar situations. I, too, and am given the freedom to make determinations about MY loyalty to them.

And so I did. And it was not hard at all.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<redacted>

Originally Posted by Mark_T
No idea if it would be worth their time to pursue, but your expectation of the return of the miles is the 'consideration' in the deal. Without that consideration you would not be willing to provide him with the ticket ...

Buy your friend a ticket with your miles and just give it to him and you are within the rules, the moment you expect anything back from him you are outside the rules.

Pedantic perhaps, but you can't duck the rules by calling it a loan.
There is no rule being ducked. It is clear that the prohibition is intended to deter commercial activity. If I loan my neighbor a cup of sugar and he returns it to me a few days later, it is not a commercial transaction by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
As far as the issue of a "loan of miles" or whatever description one wants to use, in an emergency, no, nobody's gonna get jammed up for that, barring some very extraordinary circumstances. Completely safe, let's not get people unnecessarily paranoid over this stuff.
Thank you for injecting a dose of common sense here. ^

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 14, 2014 at 2:30 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted content
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To get back on topic (and with apologies for the earlier thread drift), the major perception issue here arises because for an airline seat sold at the last minute, the incremental revenue bears no relationship to the incremental cost. So consumers get resentful because they feel that the airline could have done them a favor and it would not have cost the airline anything. This is faulty reasoning. The airline has a revenue model that is different from the revenue model of a dress shop or a coffee shop, in that it has invested huge sums of money in equipment and needs to recover and make a profit on that investment. For it to give up thousands of dollars in incremental revenue just because there is no incremental cost attached to it defeats the business model. But that is too complicated for most of the public to understand.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Assuming marginal revenue is greater than marginal cost, explain the problem.

The real issue has nothing to do with either margins or incrementalism. The issue is bigger picture than that.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Assuming marginal revenue is greater than marginal cost, explain the problem.

The real issue has nothing to do with either margins or incrementalism. The issue is bigger picture than that.
The problem is the perception issue. To the general public, the airline is charging $4K (or whatever) for something that incrementally costs it next to nothing. Therefore it must be greedy, evil, unfeeling, <insert your own adjective>.

Even on this board which is undoubtedly more informed than the general public, you see evidence of that attitude right in this thread.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My sympathy to the OP for the loss of his mother. But not much sympathy for the rest of it. He booked a cheap ticket for the wrong date and AA won't bail him out. Whether it was for a memorial service or to gamble in Vegas doesn't matter. I have done the same in the past and, unless I notice it shortly after I make the reservation, I don't expect the airline to bend the clear provisions of a non-refundable ticket. Would I ask them to? Sure. But if they said no I would not throw a fit and threaten the airline with apocalypse due to the loss of my business. Frankly, anyone could play the "I made a mistake" card. If an airline routinely bent the rules in those cases it would quickly make a shambles of the whole pricing scheme.

Neither DL or UA would have done differently. WN doesn't charge a change fee but they would still hit you for a fare difference, which I would guess the OP was also looking at.

The real problem is the size of the change fee. $200 is ridiculous, but that is the state of the airline world today. Someday in the not too distant future it will no doubt be $250 or more.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
So that makes you an expert on interpreting AA's legal documents, even without a law degree?
You can pass the LSAT without a law degree (though I certainly wouldn't hire such a person as legal counsel...)
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You can pass the LSAT without a law degree (though I certainly wouldn't hire such a person as legal counsel...)
Do you mean the Bar Exam? The LSAT is the law school admissions test which most people pass without a law degree
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Acting is just that: acting.

Be loyal to your family, friends, and dogs. You know and love them. Being loyal to a profit-seeking corporation is just going to lead to feelings of betrayal and bitterness. Be business-like with a business. Expect it to be professional with you. But never forget that its bottom line objective is to make profits for its shareholders, not take care of you during retirement or make sure everyone gets to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving.

If you fall for the acting/marketing BS from a corporation, blame only yourself.
In my part of the business world relationships based on trust are the most important drivers of success.

YMMV, but what a terribly sad world you inhabit.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by hillrider
In my part of the business world relationships based on trust are the most important drivers of success.
Sure, trust between an airline and customers.

"I trust that when I buy an airline ticket I will be safely transported as agreed from A to B, barring safety issues such as weather, mechanicals, etc."

"We trust that when you buy a non-refundable, restricted ticket you accept the associated restrictions and don't come back later telling us the restrictions don't apply to you for reasons under which we have no control."

Another thing: "Almost ready to quit AA" is a threat. I don't pay much attention to threats. I don't make a threat unless I am 100% prepared to see it through.

Saying "I'm disappointed they did not bend their usual rules for my special situation, but will still fly AA" is OK.

Saying "I have quit flying AA because they did not bend their usual rules for my special situation" is OK.

Saying "I am threatening to quit unless AA bends their usual rules for my special situation" is not OK.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compare and contrast: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...exibility.html

Interestingly role reversal (BA reservations have the reputation of being cold, while AA used to have a warm and fuzzy reputation).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compare and contrast: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...exibility.html

Interestingly role reversal (BA reservations have the reputation of being cold, while AA used to have a warm and fuzzy reputation).
But the bottom line is that the airline is a business and will make decisions that it perceives as being in its own interest.

While I have no love for DL, this email that they sent to a disgruntled customer was right on:

In the end, we must do what we feel is best for Delta to remain
successful. Even though we aren't the first airline to take this step,
we're certain we won't be the last. If the new program succeeds as we
think it will, then the end result will be a more robust program that is
better and more rewarding for everyone. If it doesn't succeed, then we
will have to evaluate where we went wrong and what our next steps are.
While the above was in relation to the recent SkyMiles changes, it could just as well apply to any policy that the airline chooses to adopt. If it's a bad move, the market will penalize the airline.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but the airline industry is a unique one IMO, probably for reasons too numerous to go into. But even putting that aside, it really just comes down to competition. The more competition there is, the more "things" a company will do to keep your business. We all know what's happened to competition in the domestic airline business over the last decade, and now we pay. Prices are higher, loyalty benefits are diminished and waivers are more difficult to come by. Personally, I blame the last two administrations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.