Wiki Posts
Search

Almost ready to quit AA [denied change on restricted fare]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:34 pm
Suspended

twitter is by far best suggestion
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:34 pm

The rules are the rules. All of us have stories where the rules left us smiling or left us frowning. When I broke my leg and had to lose $150 of a $300 ticket purchased on a grad student's annual income of $4000 10 years ago, I didn't whine about it. The rules were the rules, and my horrible misfortune was nobody's problem but my own.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA, AA PLT, UA
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I'd write a polite email to Doug Parker or Scott Kirby explaining you are a loyal customer, EXP with over 4 million miles. In booking a flight to attend your mother's funeral you mistakenly booked the ticket on the wrong day. You had contacted reservations to explain this, would be happy to provide any proof needed, but would certainly appreciate waiver of the $200 fee which you were told was not possible...
This. Maybe proactively include a copy of the death certificate. Much less stressful than trying to get the fee waived upfront, particularly if the supervisor you spoke with noted their denial of your initial request.

I wouldn't get my hopes up—especially given AA's recent elimination of bereavement/medical emergency fares—but I think it's reasonable to state your case.

My condolences.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't believe this is possible. Otherwise everyone would be doing it. The nonrefundable dollar amount always remains nonrefundable.
But once it was a Y/B fare could he then change the date of travel?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry for your loss, 1AAFlyer. I concur on reaching out to the twitter team at AA as well as calling again. Assuming the same fare was available on both dates, AA definitely should have changed for you.

More importantly, AA should reinstate bereavement fares.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm not completely familiar with AA but, on other carriers, only the additional fare paid becomes refundable. The original amount of the restricted ticket continues to be nonrefundable. If they don't waive the change fee for the initial upfare you would be in the same place
Yep. See my post upthread.

Originally Posted by adambrock
But once it was a Y/B fare could he then change the date of travel?
AFAIK the restrictions of the original fare still apply, unless the change fee is paid. But I can't swear to that.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
When my son died in 2012, I was told it would take several weeks for the death certificate to be generated. This delay could make refund, etc. less likely.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Almost ready to quit AA [denied change on restricted fare]

Just a lowly kettle had something similar happen. called aa told agent I made mistake, off 1 day, he said since it was not long after booking he could change for only fare difference.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
So sorry for your loss 1AAFlyer.
V frustrating circumstances. Regardless of formal policy, it would seem to me that common sense might lead to a waiver. Yes, if I were in the decision circuit, the 4MM Exp would make a diff to me. No company should want to alienate their loyal customer in a time of distress. To those saying none of this makes a diff, and suck it up, yikes. World class organizations can do better. Those implying AA is not a world class org, perhaps you are right....
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see any difference in these types of situations. Either it is something where it is a special situation and status is irrelevent or it is a normal situation and again status is irrelevent since there are no benefits of status regarding change fees

It is not common sense imo to waive change fees for someone with status
But it absolutely is common sense to show some compassion and flexibility in circumstances such as those encountered by the OP, and even more so if the OP is a flyer with demonstrable loyalty and considerable spend.

It makes zero business sense to piss off such a customer over $200 or so. None at all.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by swajames
But it absolutely is common sense to show some compassion and flexibility in circumstances such as those encountered by the OP, and even more so if the OP is a flyer with demonstrable loyalty and considerable spend.

It makes zero business sense to piss off such a customer over $200 or so. None at all.
It indeed is good business sense says "give the guy a break", but the new AA is getting stricter and more penurious on this issue. Mr. Bentel and Twitter have been mentioned; they are worth giving a try, the latter (being easiest) first.

But hey, I am EXP (over ten years) 5MM plus - and honestly it only means I had some spend, lots of class of service, elite status and promo bonus miles; I'll bet my helix / Eagles rating ain't that high.

On UA OTOH, it would mean a lot and then some - they only have counted Base / butt in seat miles for a long time, unlike AA (fortunately, for many of us).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
I booked a $224 fare from lag- phi for my mother's memorial service. I admit that I booked the wrong date...by 1 day. I have explained that I booked this at my mother's death and I made a MISTAKE. I asked AA to waive the $200 change fee for this $224 fare. Even a supervisor would not waive the fee. I have more than 4m miles flown and I have just about had it. Suggestions anyone?
This is similar to why I quit AA. Got notification my father was in hospital and expected to die soon. Had 30 min to book flight and 1 hr to airport. After 3m+ butt in seat miles and 7 yrs of EXP PLUS many employee EXPs for which I paid AA couldn't have cared less. Cost 4k for me and spouse domestically. He died, I flew back and never booked another paid flight (and won't). I will use my 1.5 award miles but they won't see another dime from me.

Business ExtrAA rep actually called me and asked why we weren't using them anymore. So apparently they cared but not enough to accommodate me when I needed it. I told her loyalty needs to work BOTH ways.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTRS
This is similar to why I quit AA. Got notification my father was in hospital and expected to die soon. Had 30 min to book flight and 1 hr to airport. After 3m+ butt in seat miles and 7 yrs of EXP PLUS many employee EXPs for which I paid AA couldn't have cared less. Cost 4k for me and spouse domestically. He died, I flew back and never booked another paid flight (and won't). I will use my 1.5 award miles but they won't see another dime from me.
Not providing any help in this situation seems very disappointing, but would view this as greatly different to the OP's situation where it is really just a case of booking the wrong flight
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:46 am
Suspended

I do not understand all this talk about "loyalty" to/from AA. It's just a profit seeking corporation, not a family member or friend.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
I do not understand all this talk about "loyalty" to/from AA. It's just a profit seeking corporation, not a family member or friend.
This. ^

Also, there are very few regular members on this board who cannot afford either a last-minute ticket or an AAnytime award. Most of us have friends who would front us the miles in an emergency. It's either worth that expenditure to you to be by the side of a loved one, or it isn't.

(I run my own business so I have a different perspective. However, I'm not really as callous as I sound and, in fact, I just made an exception for someone yesterday in a case that did not involve anything near as serious as a death in the family. It cost me $2K. But I get sob stories all the time in my business and even when I do choose to be flexible, my gut reaction is: "I'm sorry for your misfortune, but how did I get elected to share in your financial burden? If I had a problem and came to you, a total stranger, for financial help; would you give it to me?")

Were I in a similar situation, I would appreciate help from AA but would certainly not expect it or view it as an entitlement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.