Search

AA: no blinds [window shades] up during take off and landing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, United, HH, club Carlson
AA: no blinds [window shades] up during take off and landing

Hi there
Just wondering why with most AA flights I take, is it allowed to have the window blinds down during take-off and landing. This is never allowed in Europe or any any other airline I have travelled on before. In fact, it is one of the compulsory pre take-off and pre-landing checks for the crew and you will be asked to pull the blind up if it is engaged.

thanks
- very Curious M!!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I can confirm that sitting in 15F this morning (Exit Window seat) before landing I was asked to make sure the blinds were up/down to not obstruct visibility outside the aircraft in case of an emergency.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mrkdips
Just wondering why with most AA flights I take, is it allowed to have the window blinds down during take-off and landing.
Because it is. Except, I believe, in exit rows.

This is never allowed in Europe or any any other airline I have travelled on before. In fact, it is one of the compulsory pre take-off and pre-landing checks for the crew and you will be asked to pull the blind up if it is engaged.
There is no FAA regulation as far as I know that requires US air carriers to have window shades up. Some US airlines may wish to make it policy/write it into their Ops Specs but apparently the FAA/FARs do not mandate it.

I think that flight safety is enhanced if all shades are up during critical phases of flight. The FAA and AA apparently disagree.

In some countries, no carry-on luggage is allowed to be placed under seat in exit rows. In the US, the FARs and carriers' Ops Specs allow it. Many aviation regulations are inconsistent around the world.

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
I can confirm that sitting in 15F this morning (Exit Window seat) before landing I was asked to make sure the blinds were up/down to not obstruct visibility outside the aircraft in case of an emergency.
I believe that you are correct. Shades up in exit rows is, I think, an AA policy so presumably written into its manuals and thus just as controlling as the FARs.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum. I've also slightly updated the thread title of the destination thread for clarity.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.