Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Choice Essential and Choice Plus fares -- Benefit Changes [Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond

The Choice Essential fare level no longer waives the applicable change fee. It now includes just 2 options: A Free Checked Bag and Group 1 Boarding.

Choice Plus comes with those two features, plus 50% mileage bonus, free change fee, SDFC, same-day standby, and an adult beverage.

I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but the descriptions on AA.com now reflect the revamped offerings.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Wow, so why in god's green earth would an elite ever buy that? I hope they reduce the pricing for Essential and Plus to more normal levels then.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by 777Pax
I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but the descriptions on AA.com now reflect the revamped offerings.
Thanks for pointing this out! Considering that the recent price changes were never announced, I doubt there will be anything official announcing the benefits chances.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
This doesn't apply to Choice Essential fares already purchased, does it?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
It would only apply to tickets purchased after the rule change. However, if you do change a Choice Essential ticket that has the waived change fee the rules of the new fare would apply to changes made to the new ticket. Thus, a second change would result in the change fee being applied.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I was just going to book a ticket now with choice essential and was furious. They dropped the price on Essential to $29 ew but the non change fee Choice Plus is now $80 ew...I'll no longer be buying, thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Wow, so why in god's green earth would an elite ever buy that? I hope they reduce the pricing for Essential and Plus to more normal levels then.
They get a third (or, if EXP, fourth) checked bag.

Not that many people have a use for that...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Good catch. From the Q&A on it...

EDIT, see full section from AAgency below, thanks for the correction

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 25, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good catch. From the Q&A on it:
This part is actually old news -- BFP was killed when Choice fares were first introduced. There were only minor tweaks to this webpage today.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA
This part is actually old news -- BFP was killed when Choice fares were first introduced. There were only minor tweaks to this webpage today.
Ah, yes-- you're right-- now I see where that section (that was PMd to me from a very well-intentioned soul ) is from, here's the rest, dated Feb25, FWIW:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Genera...fares_faqs.jsp
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only way to eliminate change fees on a roundtrip is to pay 80% of it upfront.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/33.0.1750.14 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

It's still a good deal if you billing your expenses for a non elite traveler.
I'm buying a ticket now for non elite who will check a bag but I'm not able to present two receipts...

This way I roll it into the price of the ticket and AA them forces me to spend $4 extra for "group 1" boarding. Win. Win.

Last edited by hotdogs; Feb 26, 2014 at 8:01 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:10 am

The real benefit of choice plus is same day flight change w/o paying the $75. That may be all that one needs to decide if you want to buy up...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: American Airlines
AA Choice-Choice Essentials-Choice Plus CHANGES

Choice Essential no longer waives the $200 change fee as of Feb 25. The only benefit for Choice Essentials is extra bag. I understand there are going to be changes but wheres the email, notice, something telling us of these changes. What the purpose of Choice Essentials. Fourth Bag yeah. lol
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by iTouchBooth
Choice Essential no longer waives the $200 change fee as of Feb 25. The only benefit for Choice Essentials is extra bag. I understand there are going to be changes but wheres the email, notice, something telling us of these changes. What the purpose of Choice Essentials. Fourth Bag yeah. lol
It's the standard corporate process - if a change is bad for customers it's buried on the web-site somewhere. Only changes that can be spun as "improvements" are announced with fanfare.

Jim

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 26, 2014 at 8:33 am Reason: Added quote for continuity post merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.