Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Complimentary Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Question about Complimentary Upgrades

My apologies if this has already been covered, but I've searched the internet and Flyertalk with no clear answer.

I just status matched to AA Exec Platinum from United 1K.

1. Do you need to "request" your complimentary upgrades at booking, or are you automatically added to the list like United?

2. When you book a first class flight that is less than 500 miles (like LAX to LAS) do you get 1.5X 500 miles or 1.5x actual miles? I'm asking specifically about the elite qualifying points.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
1. Do you need to "request" your complimentary upgrades at booking, or are you automatically added to the list like United?
During booking there are checkboxes you click to request to be upgraded.

2. When you book a first class flight that is less than 500 miles (like LAX to LAS) do you get 1.5X 500 miles or 1.5x actual miles? I'm asking specifically about the elite qualifying points.
It is 1.5X 500 miles.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I've searched the internet and Flyertalk with no clear answer.
AA.com has a"who, what, where of upgrading" page

I just status matched to AA Exec Platinum from United 1K.[/QUOTE]

From that page on aa.com:

Step 1 – Request an upgrade when making your flight reservations on AA.com, through an American Airlines agent, or your travel agent.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
It is 1.5X 500 miles.
The OP was asking about EQP. It is 1.5x EQP, 1x EQM, and 2.5x RDM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. The first issue seemed be an issue with the website last night, as it was not letting me click "request upgrade" but this morning it is doing so.

So just to summarize, a trip under 500 miles booked in first would garner 750 EQP each way?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, I think it would not.

It would result in actual (base) miles x 1.5. E.g. SMF-LAX is 373 miles, for example. and though one would earn 500 EQM minimally with status, one would earn 559 EQP iirc.

Thanks for the help. The first issue seemed be an issue with the website last night, as it was not letting me click "request upgrade" but this morning it is doing so.

So just to summarize, a trip under 500 miles booked in first would garner 750 EQP each way?

As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2014 at 6:30 pm Reason: add mod note
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

I booked a LAX-LAS in P (discount F) once, and I received 1000 miles including the EXP bonus. I contacted AA and they said the 500 mile minimum was computed AFTER the 50% bonus.

I don't recall what the EQPs were -- sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
i do not recall ever getting 1.5 EQP on the SFO-LAX route when my upgrade clears. only 500 EQP and 500 EQMs and 1000 spendable miles.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver

It would result in actual (base) miles x 1.5. E.g. SMF-LAX is 373 miles, for example. and though one would earn 500 EQM minimally with status, one would earn 559 EQP iirc.
I flew DFW-IAH earlier this week in S class, 224 base miles. Received the following:

EQM: 500
EQP: 250 (S earns .5 EQPs)
RDM: 1,000

So EQPs are based upon the minimum EQMs, not the base miles. F or P class would earn 1.5 times minimum EQM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
i do not recall ever getting 1.5 EQP on the SFO-LAX route when my upgrade clears. only 500 EQP and 500 EQMs and 1000 spendable miles.
EQM and EQP are based on the original booking class, not the upgraded one.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danville 1K
I flew DFW-IAH earlier this week in S class, 224 base miles. Received the following:

EQM: 500
EQP: 250 (S earns .5 EQPs)
RDM: 1,000

So EQPs are based upon the minimum EQMs, not the base miles. F or P class would earn 1.5 times minimum EQM.
Great that's what I thought. A P-class (First) should earn 750 EQPs then. It makes sense, as why would a discount economy like V or M earn more EQP than a first class.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

I believe you are incorrect. EQPs are a multiple of EQMs and not of base miles.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
I believe you are incorrect. EQPs are a multiple of EQMs and not of base miles.
Danville just posted above that he got 250 EQP on a deep discount fare under 500 miles. It would appear from his post that the multiplier (in this case 0.5) was based on the 500 mile minimum and not actual flight miles.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Danville just posted above that he got 250 EQP on a deep discount fare under 500 miles. It would appear from his post that the multiplier (in this case 0.5) was based on the 500 mile minimum and not actual flight miles.
Correct. EQPs are calculated based on the 500 mile minimum for elites. Non-elites accrue EQPs based on actual miles flown.

This happens all the time on my feeder flights into DFW which are always less than 500 BIS miles.

As always, EQP/EQM are based on purchased inventory, not upgraded.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Correct. EQPs are calculated based on the 500 mile minimum for elites. Non-elites accrue EQPs based on actual miles flown.

This happens all the time on my feeder flights into DFW which are always less than 500 BIS miles.

As always, EQP/EQM are based on purchased inventory, not upgraded.
Thanks for the help. It will be cutting it close to get 25K EQPs by the end of the challenge, so I may need to book some short runs to LA.

It is frustrating that "discount fare economy" often doesn't show on searches, and only "deep discount economy" may be available. I'm willing to pay a bit more for the 1X earning classes, and find it odd that they aren't even available much of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.