Search

Same Day change on BA issued award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze

Hi Everybody,

I'm planning to purchase a BA issued award for an AA flights. Before I purchase the award - I just need to make sure that I can make a same day change for the award; I'll probably need to take the last flight of the day - which I'll purchase the tickets for; However, assuming there will be available seats on an earlier flight and I finish my meetings earlier that day - will I be able to make a same day change, even though my ticket was issued by BA and not by AA?

And two more questions:
1. I read that for AA saver award there is no need to pay the change fee if there are award seats available for the new flight; I assume this doesn't apply for a BA issued award, does it?
2. This page (http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp) states that oneworld Sapphire recieve same-day wait-list for an earlier flight free of charge; what does this mean? How can I apply for a spot on an earlier flight using this? If I just come to the airport in time for the earlier flight and it has seats, will they move me to it, free of charge (or does the waiting list only clear at boarding)?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
BA likely will not allow you to make the change. AA very well will allow you to make the change, or at least to travel standby.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Blumie
BA likely will not allow you to make the change. AA very well will allow you to make the change, or at least to travel standby.
Thanks. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough - what I want is that AA do the change for me at the airport. I won't know until I finish with all my meetings whether I will be able to catch the earlier flight or not, and since after the meeting I will be going directly to the airport, I have no reason to do the change via the internet or the call center. All I wanted to ask you is if AA can and will make the change for me when I arrive to the airport.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
That link is not clear whether this applies to BA issued award. Though in the absence of more precise wording, I'd be inclined to say that you can probably go standby.
This means you have to ask an agent in the Admiral's Club or at the checkin counter or at the gate to put you on the standby list.
Then you go to the gate 30 minutes earlier and wait to see if you clear the list.
If you do, hand in your old boarding pass and you will get a new one.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:35 am

I just had this come up yesterday. A BA partner award is pretty much treated by AA just like any other. However, I DID put my AA# in the res after I booked it with BA.

I needed to SDC yesterday to a later flight. The flight I wanted didn't have award space so they said they couldn't do it without a fee. However, they did SDC me under the normal policy for $75 a ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I just had this come up yesterday. A BA partner award is pretty much treated by AA just like any other. However, I DID put my AA# in the res after I booked it with BA.

I needed to SDC yesterday to a later flight. The flight I wanted didn't have award space so they said they couldn't do it without a fee. However, they did SDC me under the normal policy for $75 a ticket.
BA booked award is treated almost the same as an AA booked award. You can SDC and elites can standby.

However AA probably won't confirm award space even if its available on a BA-issued ticket because free change on award is based on AAdvantage award rules.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
BA booked award is treated almost the same as an AA booked award. You can SDC and elites can standby.
Anyone traveling on an AAnytime Award my standby for free.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/stan...ptionsList.jsp
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Member

A BA-issued award won't be an AAnytime award. It will be booked in regular award inventory.

I'm assuming OP is referring to an economy MileSAAver, not F/J MileSAAver.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A BA-issued award won't be an AAnytime award. It will be booked in regular award inventory.

I'm assuming OP is referring to an economy MileSAAver, not F/J MileSAAver.
You're right; I was thinking Mileage Saver. But as the link I provided makes clear, if he's traveling in F or J, he can standby for free. If he's traveling in Y he cannot (unless he qualifies through some other means).
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"However AA probably won't confirm award space even if its available on a BA-issued ticket because free change on award is based on AAdvantage award rules."

Exactly right. However, if award space is available on the preferred flight even one day in advance, one can just book a new BA award on the preferred flight, and simply cancel the first BA award. BA does not make any additional collection on award cancellations: if the cash amount paid on a BA award is less than the cancellation fee, only the amount actually paid on the award is forfeited. In the case of BA awards on AA domestic flights, that amount should be a pittance. But a free same-day confirmed change is not possible.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Of course, as with any large organization, YMMV.

I just came back on an UA-issued award on LH (CDG-FRA). LH doesn't not allow standby and won't change other airline issued ticket. I had an 10 hour connection at CDG. Went to LH check-in asked and nicely to switch to an earlier flight; agent confirmed me on the spot gratis. Shrunk my 10-hour connection down to a 2-hour connection.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
So I have a friend who is going to miss a BA issued AA award today. The thing is:
* AA agent refused to SDC his flight on the phone
* He is BA silver (=oneworld sapphire), no AA status
* AA award is still available

Will he get any chance to get on the flight later at the airport?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"However AA probably won't confirm award space even if its available on a BA-issued ticket because free change on award is based on AAdvantage award rules."

Exactly right. However, if award space is available on the preferred flight even one day in advance, one can just book a new BA award on the preferred flight, and simply cancel the first BA award. BA does not make any additional collection on award cancellations: if the cash amount paid on a BA award is less than the cancellation fee, only the amount actually paid on the award is forfeited. In the case of BA awards on AA domestic flights, that amount should be a pittance. But a free same-day confirmed change is not possible.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:12 pm
Original Member

I say your friend will probably have better luck at airport.

SDC is only possible if E inventory is there. BA status should allow for free standby.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gordo6
I'm planning to purchase a BA issued award for an AA flights. Before I purchase the award - I just need to make sure that I can make a same day change for the award; I'll probably need to take the last flight of the day - which I'll purchase the tickets for; However, assuming there will be available seats on an earlier flight and I finish my meetings earlier that day - will I be able to make a same day change, even though my ticket was issued by BA and not by AA?
From personal experience: I showed up early for my BA booked ORD-LGA flight a few weeks ago and asked at the gate if I could jump on the earlier flight. She typed a few seconds and said, we're not supposed to allow standby on this type of reservation, but then went ahead and issued me a BP for the flight. I asked, "is it b/c it was booked on BA"; she said "Yes". That said - I have a feeling YMMV on this one.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I say your friend will probably have better luck at airport.

SDC is only possible if E inventory is there. BA status should allow for free standby.
The final solution is:

* After HUACA some agent cancelled his reservation
* The agent at the airport reissued him another ticket with 001 ticket #

I guess it's not a typical thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.