Search

Segment and revenue value to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Segment and revenue value to AA?

Hello folks,

Just a generic question to throw out. I don't fly many miles, but I do rack up segments and I purchase my tickets the day of travel, and never stay a weekend. My ticket prices range (all domestic travel, all between 500 and 1000 miles) $800-$1300 (round-trip).
Between January 1 and the end of March, I've flown 40 segments, but only 22,000 Q Miles. (21,000 Q Points - most of my tickets are full fare Y, it's rare that I get a lower priced ticket).

Anyway... (I did a plat challenge in Jan, and got my plat status a week or two ago).

Is there any chance on earth that AA would consider giving me EXP status if I fly 100-150 segments this year? Also - is there any chance I could get the 4-500mile upgrade things for flying 10-15 segments, instead of flying 10k Q miles?

On a revenue basis, I think AA is making good money off me. I could switch to another carrier who would give me premium elite status for segments - but I'd rather stay with AA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pakse

[This message has been edited by Pakse (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
It never hurts to ask. I would be surprised if they were to change the upgrade threshold for you but EXP might be slightly more doable (though still hard). In asking for EXP, I would put things into dollar terms and wait until you have flown the segments. Once you've flown 100 segments send them a letter saying how you've spent $50K or whatever on tickets and flown 100 segments and that you very much want to stay with AA but that the lack of EXP status for the amount you have flown is a problem which will cause you to go to UA where such loyalty would get you 1K.

Just my thoughts.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1+MM,UA Exec Prem, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Cent
Let me see if I understand. You are wanting AA to comp EXP status cause you'll fly 100-150 seg's this year? Or are you asking, will you get EXP status after the 100-150 segs? Well here's the deal. You'll get EXP after you pass 100,000 Q-points. EXP status is only on two conditions. 100k Q-miles or 100k Q-points. No bending that I have seen or heard on this one man. Sorry.

------------------
AA PLT, HYATT GLD, HILTON GOLD
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
Money talks, if I spent 50k-75k on 150 segments on AA. I would request EXP and as smart as AA is, I think you just might get it after spending that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

dallasflyer
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:12 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Ditto to SoCrazy...in the 4 years I have been EXP, I have never heard of an EXP getting status on anything less than the mileage or points threshold.

But, as Dudster says, I would wait until you actually fly the miles. Then request the status. However, based on past experiences, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I have seen entire companies bring their flying to AA with PLT being the best they have comped folks. Rumor has it VPs and higher with travel decision-power at a company may have received it in the past....but I don't know of a confirmed case of this happening.

Sorry, just telling you how it is (right now).
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Folks,

Thanks for the advice. To clarify my question for those who asked, yes - I'd like to get an exception or variance due to the revenue I spend with AA. I do have some choice in carrier, so I could go elsewhere.

I would also think it would be silly to have to do a milage run or two in order to get it. This year I will fly between 80k and 90k Q-miles (estimating 75k-85k Q-points). As much time as I spend in the air, top-tier status is something I would appreciate.

When the year is ending, I'll add up what I've spent, and the flights I've flow and ask AA to consider it. Barring that - I guess I'll either switch or possibly make a milage run.

Here's one more question for ya'll in the know. If I pay cash to upgrade a full-Y fare ticket to business or first, will I get the extra Q-point bonus (25% or 50%)?

And if the answer to the above question is yes, any idea how much it costs to upgrade at the gate to business or F? (1/2 my flights don't even have a first class, let alone a business

Thank you all very much for your advice.

Pakse
Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:30 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
I personally agree wholeheartedly with your point of view although have no idea whether AA will. To give you some ammunition I can say I flew 137,000 Q-Miles (132,000 Q Points) last year to make EXP and total revenue to AA was $15,000. Makes you realise how skewed AAdvantage elite system is.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:44 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:
This year I will fly between 80k and 90k Q-miles (estimating 75k-85k Q-points). As much time as I spend in the air, top-tier status is something I would appreciate.</font>
Join the club.

Kovich is right: Since it's possible to attain EXP so cheaply (that is, miles flown is not really a fair indication of how "good" a customer you are), you'd think AA would
reward its truly most frequent customers--segment folks like you and me--with EXP.

But from someone who's been there, done that for three years running, who has written one (and only one) reasoned letter to AA, practically making your arguments above verbatim, and who has received a pretty snotty response from AA, trust me:

AA could care less about customers who fly lots of segments.

It all boils down to why you choose to fly a particular airline: is it for the status, or is it for the product?

Do a search using "EXP segments" to find a heap of previous whine-fests on the subject. The bottom line is this: if you want top-tier status on segments, fly another airline.

If you want a top quality product and are therefore willing to stay at PLT despite the opportunity to be top-tier somewhere else, stick with AA.

That having been said, please write to AA and prove me wrong. I hope you do.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 04-03-2002).]
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Here's one more question for ya'll in the know. If I pay cash to upgrade a full-Y fare ticket to business or first, will I get the extra Q-point bonus (25% or 50%)?"

if you pay the difference between Y and J/F, then yes you would get the bonus mileage.

"And if the answer to the above question is yes, any idea how much it costs to upgrade at the gate to business or F? (1/2 my flights don't even have a first class, let alone a business "

That would depend on the route. Just look up the F fare for the journey you want to do and subtract the Y fare from it to get the amount.

You can get upgrades using upgrade credits , ( either the 4 awarded per 10,000 miles or by purchase at around $35 each ) using 1 per 500 miles. In this case you would still get the mileage credit for economy.

Dave
Old Apr 3, 2002, 1:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Segments can be pretty skewed as well. Think of two people who fly to SFO every other week -- one from DFW and one from AUS, usually on full fare tickes. They both bring in roughly the same revenue, however the AUS flier is much less profitable (because of the connecting flight he must take). However, at the end of the year the AUS flyer would have 100 segments and the DFW only 50. So segments may also be a better measure.

The best thing to award would probably be Revenue/Miles flown, but I just don't see that happening.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

In a perfect world, the airlines would reward in direct relationship to the potential revenue stream a person represents.

But, stat's ain't quite up to that task yet.

I guess come November, I'll ask AA directly about it, when I've got some numbers behind me.

If they turn me down, I'll have to decide if I want to:

a. Do nothing, be content with PLT status.
b. Make a milage run.
c. Switch.

On the 'why do I fly a particular carrier?' question that sorta came up here - for me, it's all about what I get. I fly weekly, sometimes more often. My company pays for last minute, full fare economy, but wouldn't buy a discounted F or business class ticket - rules you know.

Kills me sometimes, with my $1,300.00 ticket to BOS, while some of the first class seats were sold for 400 or less, and it's pointless asking the GA (I've tried) to comp me a first class upgrade (plenty of free seats, 1/2 empty first class).

So for me, it's all about comfort.

I prefer -

1. Three open economy seats (best for me on a 2-class flight).

2. First class

AA is cool about blocking the middle seat for me, since getting PLT status I've had an empty seat next to me everytime.

The extra miles are nice, but most of all I'd like to get those free upgrades

I do appreciate all your input folks, I'm new to this traveling thing. This site has been a huge help.

Pakse

Old Apr 3, 2002, 5:26 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:

Kills me sometimes, with my $1,300.00 ticket to BOS, while some of the first class seats were sold for 400 or less, and it's pointless asking the GA (I've tried) to comp me a first class upgrade (plenty of free seats, 1/2 empty first class).
</font>
Try asking for (or have a travel agent who can find)a Y-UP26 fare (coach ticket, F seat if "A" inventory is available).

Depends on the route, but AA does frequently offer them.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:16 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Why would your employer want to pay $1300 instead of $400 for the same flight, not to mention the latter being First Class? That makes no sense.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Why would your employer want to pay $1300 instead of $400 for the same flight, not to mention the latter being First Class? That makes no sense.</font>
I assume he's referring to people who buy discount economy tickets and upgrade.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:51 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
&lt;&lt; I assume he's referring to people who buy discount economy tickets and upgrade. &gt;&gt;

... I fly weekly, sometimes more often. My company pays for last minute, full fare economy, but wouldn't buy a discounted F or business class ticket - rules you know.</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.