Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show Credit Card at Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2002, 9:55 am

I've never been asked. But I wonder if it is because I clip together my AA Advantage card, my passport id, my ticket and put that whole packet on the counter when I am checking in, and then disassemble it for the steps. The Advantage card can be used in the machines to check-in; it associates with information and credit card information they have on file. <shrug>
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:04 am

I have always found there is no consistency. Simply put- sometimes they ask for the credit card, sometimes they don't.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 3:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
How about ask the agent when issuing your ticket to issue a "MCO" or "Misc. Charge Order" for the price of the ticket?

And then you would pay for the "MCO" using your credit card.

Then the agent would "exchange" the "MCO" for the real ticket (paper or electronic). On the real ticket, under "form of payment", instead of your credit card# showing, it will have the number of the "MCO" which the ticket is issued against.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
I am on ticket 250 or so since I started with all the flying about. Not one ticket ever paid for with a Credit card in my name, hence I never have said credit card. Also, NEVER been asked. Not even once.

Once my agent forgot to pay for a ticket I had booked, and when I got to counter, I tried to have the agent pay it with the card I had stored in the res, in this case she did ask. I did not have it, so I had to pay with one I carry. Trashed that card for the week, as the fare was $2k+.

------------------
Coyote
DFW
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:13 pm

All my tickets are E tickets and charged to my AA Visa in my profile. I do not carry the card as I only use it for AA ticket purchases. I have never been asked to show it.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:10 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
i have booked some tickets with a Visa that i will be cancelling before those trips take place... any insight/experience with this? should i save the (future) expired card and bring it?
Old Mar 24, 2002, 6:09 am

FWIW, I was once told that AA elites do not have to show a credit card. I have never been asked.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just traveled with some friends on an AAVacations packages. We all had to show our credit cards.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 3:58 pm
J S

I have never been asked for the card.

While I can understand the policy on its face in terms of avoiding fraud, there are just too many problems:

1) I buy a ticket for someone else. (If you do this online you do not get a paper ticket.)

2) I cancel the card before getting to the airport.

3) My card expires and I get a replacement before getting to the airport.

etc. etc. etc. These types of problems must come up all the time. I have a hard time believing that the agent would deny you boarding.

Just my $.02.
-JS
Old Mar 26, 2002, 1:36 am
Suspended

Clacko, I was on a completely non-changeable, non-refundable fare and they let me change the date w/o penalty. That was way cool (and unexpected) of them.

And, seeing as this experience was relevant to a posting on the AA forum, I'll post it here. But thanks for your concern.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 2:54 am

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Hmm. I've only been asked to produce the card on UA -- and consistently. Never AA.

The one time I forgot to bring the card the UA agent said "No problem, we'll credit the amount back to the original card and just charge it to one you have in your possession." 30 seconds later and I was on my way.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
In my many years of flying various airlines, my e-itinerary on ual.com did not print the ticket number on my London trip a week ago. No ticket # on the itinerary, had to check in & get boarding cards. (Since I was going intl, I had to check in). I was asked for the first time for the credit card--which I had on me. Most of the other times, I went straight to the gate. Never been asked for the credit card at the gate.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 11:47 pm

Showing the credit card is for fraud reasons. When a ticket is purchased within 5 days of travel, the credit card must be shown at the airport. Exceptions for Medallion level members.

Sometimes the credit card holder can show it at a airport or ticket office before the flight date for the passenger to travel.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 9:58 am

Several times I have used my miles to get a ticket for my daughter. The e-ticket always states that IF a credit card was used to purchase the ticket, it would have to be shown at check in. In award travel a credit card is not used to purchase the ticket so I would assume there's no need to show the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.