Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Will you be sticking with AA for your 2014 flying?
Definitely, I haven't seen enough to make me change
71.03%
Undecided, I plan to wait and see how things settle out
22.43%
No, I have decided to plant my flag elsewhere for next year
6.54%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Stick with AA for 2014 or not

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've converted this thread to a poll, so we can aggregate some of these responses. Thanks for participating!

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 22, 2013 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think this question is related to the topic.

For those who are AA and UA flyers...

Two things that really annoy me when I am not on AA and stuck dealing with UA

1) Phone agents - 75%+ of the time I get stuck with someone who has no idea what they are doing - doesn't matter if it is a revenue ticket, award ticket, question, refund, etc (I am still trying to get back a refunded fully refundable ticket from january '13). AA I rarely get someone who isn't on top of it or who will pass me on to someone who would be better able to help.

2) Checking In - Always a longer wait in line and then forced to use a kiosk no matter what class or service or premium line you use - just united people behind the counter to deal with getting bag tags or helping with system issues. I like that AA has real people there interacting with customers and the option of using a kiosk.

The whole UA experience feels so much less personal than AA. I've even received emails from CS about something from a year ago that I had mentioned that got resolved just to update me.

Everything I've seen has been has been great. I would be very interested to see how a standalone AA turns out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I'm new to AA this year and on the Platinum challenge and, so far, haven't seen anything which causes me to revisit the choice I made to end about 14 years of flying with UA exclusively and moving over to AA.

At this juncture, any benefits from the AAdvantage program are merely icing. I'm more interested in the nuts and bolts of flying and getting to my destination and having my luggage arrive and the costs being competitive. So far, AA is performing and, even when there's an issue, they've recovered well.

Also, I've done something with AA that I never did with UA, that being buying F tickets. AA has priced them reasonable enough on my routes to make them attractive. UA never did that. So, I'll complete the challenge, remain Plat until February '15 and see how it goes.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I'm staying for 2014. I was resigned to the merger but am now thrilled the DOJ may stand in the way. Good for them.

I pretty much fly equal amounts AA and UA. UA doesn't hold a candle to AA today. Tomorrow? Who knows?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
I am on the flip side from you. If the merger succeeds, I am highly likely to walk from AA and find another carrier for my elite status needs based on Doug's plans for AA. I hope AA remains standalone and want to stay with them.
I'm not quite as certain that I'd walk away from AA if the merger succeeds, but definitely have concerns about the consequences of Parker taking over AA. So I was planning to stick with AA for next year regardless, but am encouraged by the DOJ's action.

As for the more general matter, having been a UA 1K for 20 years and an AA EXP for much of the past decade, I'm walking away from UA for 2014 in view of the many respects in which it has gone downhill and could well continue to go downhill. And while AA is far from perfect, I'm much happier with many aspects of its operations, customer service and FF program. In fact, even as an SFO-based flyer I like AA more despite the fact that SFO is a UA hub - much shorter security lines, nicer terminal, Admirals Club beats the UA club, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm not quite as certain that I'd walk away from AA if the merger succeeds, but definitely have concerns about the consequences of Parker taking over AA. So I was planning to stick with AA for next year regardless, but am encouraged by the DOJ's action.

As for the more general matter, having been a UA 1K for 20 years and an AA EXP for much of the past decade, I'm walking away from UA for 2014 in view of the many respects in which it has gone downhill and could well continue to go downhill. And while AA is far from perfect, I'm much happier with many aspects of its operations, customer service and FF program. In fact, even as an SFO-based flyer I like AA more despite the fact that SFO is a UA hub - much shorter security lines, nicer terminal, Admirals Club beats the UA club, etc.
Most of this, save the length of tenure, sums it up for me. I have not been as happy flying in general as I have with AA this last year and a bit, save for the odd "trip with a nicer carrier" and the days when I didn't fly as much, but could pretty much do it with VS and get massages on board ...

Whenever I walk from BART to T2 through the UA terminal I think "There but for the grace of God, go I", then I get a brief jolt of curiosity walking through the E wing refurb, but once in T2 all is well
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Delta's elite program sucks to no end and UA is currently doing the exact opposite of "strengthening."

For me the choice is easy.
So true. AA going forward solo is the only thing preventing a downward spiral in the value of FF programs. I'm fearful that Dougie would've taken DLs lead in decimating the combined program.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by ClaesJ
Given recent 'enhancements' to DL program and the fact that OW includes both CX and BA I am planning on dropping DL, avoiding SkyTeam, and staying with AA/OW (as second option to Star Alliance which is just hard to avoid for international travel these days).
+1
Don't forget MH, QR and redemptions on EY.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Having cycled through all the airlines at some point, I stay with American only because of the AAdvantage program - still the best, but trending downwards just like the others.

My travel is discretionary, and comes out of my own pocket. Up until now, I have pursued EXP because of the tremendous perks for the price. However, fares are up significantly on AA, especially internationally. Unlike brp, domestic upgrades for me have dropped from almost 100% to about 80%.
It has also been much harder to use MileSAAver. A recent booking to PVG/PEK in April 2014 got the international F segments, but the domestic routing is ridiculous (MIA-IAH-ORD-PEK, then PVG-ORD-PHX(overnight)-MIA.
Not one nonstop seat from MIA to ORD/DFW/LAX, and absolutely zero seats from FLL for the entire month.

The trend does not look good. A319's with F8, reconfig of 777 to 2-class, continuing rumors of an upcoming revenue based FF system, decreasing service from FLL, etc. Still, who else do I want to fly.....AirTran?

Last edited by MiamiFlyer; Aug 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm Reason: changed AAnytime to MileSAAver
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I am looking at a job in Fort Myers. The thought of needing to connect at times ORD in winter time or drive two hours to MIA to avoid winter weather not so appealing. The only other option is to start over on DL. ATL gets some winter weather but nothing like Chicago.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm sticking. Now that I'm back in school and flying far less I can only really afford to keep one status and I think AA is the one to keep. I've had a very pleasant run of flights with them this year and have been upgraded on both the flights I wanted which is more than I can say with DL or UA. Plus, I'm close to 1MM and I recently earned a $500 VDB voucher so I think I'll stay.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
It has also been much harder to use AAnytime miles.
Did you mean to type 'AAnytime' or did you mean 'SAAver'. I've never booked an AAnytime award but I thought they were exactly what they sound like....bookable on any flight that had seats for sale.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Merger or no, I'll no longer try to re-qualify for ExPlat. Even when you attain lifetime Plat status, AA treats you no differently from anyone else busting their hump to reach ExP. So there's just not enough incentive for me to keep chasing it, when I only have to fly them once a year to retain Plat status. And now I can fly other airlines with better service (e.g. Virgin America) more often.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by Stripy
Did you mean to type 'AAnytime' or did you mean 'SAAver'. I've never booked an AAnytime award but I thought they were exactly what they sound like....bookable on any flight that had seats for sale.
My bad - meant MileSAAver. Thanks Stripy
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
This thread has lots of discussion about how much better they think AA will treat FFs as a standalone airline. But I haven't read many people's thoughts here about the future viability of a standalone AA, whether they will be able to compete effectively, raise capital to buy planes and start routes, or drift somewhat into irrelevance as they fall behind the UA/DL/WNs out there.

I'd have to say that's my primary concern with continuing. What will my miles / LT status be worth if that happens? Who will rescue us then (as CO did EA's FFs and DL did PA's)? To be safe, should I diversify my flying "investment" (both financial and psychic)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.