View Poll Results: Will you be sticking with AA for your 2014 flying?
Definitely, I haven't seen enough to make me change
71.03%
Undecided, I plan to wait and see how things settle out
22.43%
No, I have decided to plant my flag elsewhere for next year
6.54%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Stick with AA for 2014 or not

Old Aug 20, 13, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Stick with AA for 2014 or not

Loyal AA guy and was thinking that good to strengthen it with US only to be more competitive in a changing time. I'm thinking that the merger will fail and AA will stand alone. This is not a merger thread but just saying how are you all feeling as it's time to stay with AA or as many have strengthen the other loyalty. I hate to move away from AA but see chaos ahead while DL and even UA strengthen.
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Since there seem to be a lot of discussion here, I thought it would be useful to have everyone be given the opportunity to add their opinion in a poll.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 22, 13 at 7:02 am Reason: Added poll note
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
I am staying... This should be an interesting period.
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Good for you. May join you but still thinking! Thanks!!!!^
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP, Hertz Gold+
Yep staying. For both AA and OW.
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
I am staying with AA and OW. ^
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:17 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral View Post
I am staying with AA and OW. ^
Given recent 'enhancements' to DL program and the fact that OW includes both CX and BA I am planning on dropping DL, avoiding SkyTeam, and staying with AA/OW (as second option to Star Alliance which is just hard to avoid for international travel these days).
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Delta's elite program sucks to no end and UA is currently doing the exact opposite of "strengthening."

For me the choice is easy.
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:50 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
I am staying but not sure it is the right answer. Will be trying to aggressively burn miles too in 2014 as I am concerned about long-term viability of AA.
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a compelling argument to change?
Old Aug 20, 13, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
Staying with aa!

I don't like the idea of the merger and think that AA is strong enough to go it alone. I'm staying. I love AA. Loved Continental too, but, oh well. I'll stay as long as AA stays. Not sure what to do if Parker takes over and runs the "new American" the way he runs USAir. I think it just won't be the AA we know and love if that happens. Willing to be proved wrong. Delighted to see the DOJ intervene.
Old Aug 20, 13, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Gold
That's easy. I've has PLT for a year, and enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure that I would not have been treated as well, or had as many benefits as an elite that 'only' flew 75k in 2012. And now, With the help if a $40k spend on the World Elite MC, I'm at 86k for the year, with enough to travel planned to reach EXP in Oct.

So, although I've really only been flying regularly for two years, and I feel like that would be wasted if I didn't get to enjoy the new planes coming online right now as a top elite.
Old Aug 20, 13, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bcj1949 View Post
Loyal AA guy and was thinking that good to strengthen it with US only to be more competitive in a changing time. I'm thinking that the merger will fail and AA will stand alone. This is not a merger thread but just saying how are you all feeling as it's time to stay with AA or as many have strengthen the other loyalty. I hate to move away from AA but see chaos ahead while DL and even UA strengthen.
I am on the flip side from you. If the merger succeeds, I am highly likely to walk from AA and find another carrier for my elite status needs based on Doug's plans for AA. I hope AA remains standalone and want to stay with them.
Old Aug 20, 13, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
I'm staying in spite of the BA fuel surcharges which irritate me.
Old Aug 20, 13, 9:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I am staying, but planning my departure from Executive Platinum. Merger or not, there is a developing trend in loyalty programs, that things are getting worse.

So I plan to requalify this year. Use my SWU's to book upgraded flights for me and family next year. If they have a D'eqm next year, I may requlify, but already starting to visualize what it will be like to not be Ex Plat.

Switching to buy miles/ credit card churn on other airlines. Really enjoyed my Emirates F flights, and LH F (new F) is pretty good too. Even business on Eva and Air Canada this year is pretty good too.

So I don't think its about the merger happening or not. Although the merger NOT happening WOULD be a big PLUS for AAdvantage elites.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: