Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My letter to AA - How do you think they will respond?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

My letter to AA - How do you think they will respond?

I might have to jump ship. How do you think AA will respond? I think they will give me: "Sorry to hear your story. We hope that in the future flights match and you can fly us again".

If you were AA, how would you respond to a situation like this?

Dear AA,

I'm writing this letter from a Delta flight from LEX to ATL and then heading to MLB. I wish I could be flying AA right now. I'm very unhappy to report that might be forced to no longer fly with you guys. Not because of customer service or bad product, but the following: Even having to back track to get to LEX, doing MCO-ORD-LEX and driving one hour to get to MCO from Melbourne, FL, I would rather fly AA than any other airline. I will have to take my wife and son with me to Delta as well, my wife is a Platinum AAdvantage (XXXXXX) elite. I'm over the 50k EQM hump this year already, but I don't think I can make EXP (XXXXXX) since you guys have changed various schedules. No longer can I fly out at 6am on a monday to ORD to connect to LEX. The flight now leaves at 7:10am. So there goes my flight that I usually took. I also attempted to fly out at the latest flight from MCO and take the first flight out from ORD to LEX in the morning, but MCO-ORD(overnight)-LEX is not a valid connection. My last LEX-ORD had only 11 pax, so I would assume you want my business. Going from LEX to MCO is also pretty complicated. The entire first half of the year, instead of flying out Thursday nights to go home, I took the option to take the 6am flight on Friday's. I really tried to go out of my way to fly AA, but it's getting worse. Earlier in the year you guys head a targeted promotion to AA EXPs and I wasn't included. Today, browsing Facebook, one of my friends shared the new promotion to non elite members, allowing them to reach PLT and EXP very very easy. So my take is, why struggle to fly AA when I'm not treated like others. Hopefully you guys can respond to me with a positive solution. I hope I don't get some stupid answer. So please take the time to look at my flying history/pattern this year and see what I'm talking about. I'm at 76 segments on Delta this year alone and would rather have my EXP status for next year. I don't think I'm asking much since others are getting to where I have been the last several years the easy way.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by tonytifao
I might have to jump ship. How do you think AA will respond? I think they will give me: "Sorry to hear your story. We hope that in the future flights match and you can fly us again".

This sounds, unfortunately, like a hyperbole to combine all the issues that you might have. AA may treat that as customer feedback, but I highly doubt they will change their flight schedule to accommodate a lone passenger, no matter how many full fares you purchased in the past.

A great CS response will explain to you why they made such a change of the schedule. "Thank you for your feedback, and hope to see you in another AA flight in the ne to sar future."

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Aug 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

I think they're going to reply with a canned response that at best will be superficially remorseful for the loss of your business.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
This sounds, unfortunately, like a hyperbole to combine all the issues that you might have. AA may treat that as customer feedback, but I highly doubt they will change their flight schedule to accommodate a lone passenger, no matter how many full fares you purchased in the past.
I don't expect a change in schedule, but at least making their flights MCO-ORD-LEX allow overnight connections. That way I can leave home late and be at work early. I would get a hotel at ORD and just take the first flight out. Or offer some sort of promotion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sellouts
I think they're going to reply with a canned response that at best will be superficially remorseful for the loss of your business.
Pretty much. Although I don't think it will be canned. I've gotten responses that were individualized, but still didn't actually do anything in cases like this....which is what I had expected.

I assume that the OP doesn't expect that AA will actually change anything based on that letter, because that would be particularly unrealistic. I'm further assuming that the OP just wanted to share his feedback to AA with us since there's not really much more to this than that.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
There are way too many different issues and some unnecessary details to make this an effective letter. In my experience, addressing a single problem concisely yields hugest probability of a "positive response."
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
There are way too many different issues and some unnecessary details to make this an effective letter. In my experience, addressing a single problem concisely yields hugest probability of a "positive response."
This. The schedule is what it is and likely will not change. Expressing your displeasure with the bovine-fecal-matter EXP giveaway, different story.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Pretty much. Although I don't think it will be canned. I've gotten responses that were individualized, but still didn't actually do anything in cases like this....which is what I had expected.

I assume that the OP doesn't expect that AA will actually change anything based on that letter, because that would be particularly unrealistic. I'm further assuming that the OP just wanted to share his feedback to AA with us since there's not really much more to this than that.

Cheers.
I received a very candid, positive, and encouraging response regarding my parents' award tickets under my account back in May. It was a long response(almost 2000 words) to explain why there was a cancellation, emergency landing, and mishandling of baggage. I was shocked to see the the length of the response. It just gave me confidence to keep flying them.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
The only thing I could see them doing is allowing an overnight valid connection. How hard do you think this is? Other routes offer this type of connection

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:55 pm

The only thing I could see them doing is allowing an overnight valid connection. How hard do you think this is? Other routes offer this type of connection

Thanks for the input!
All you need to get the overnight stop is to go to any OTA to construct a multi-city. I just checked Jan 17, Jan 18, and back on Jan 22 for example. Small difference of the prices, but you can have a overnight hop at ORD and fly out to LEX next day morning. AA.com isn't the best for flight searches or codeshares.

MCO-ORD
ORD-LEX
LEX-MCO
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
All you need to get the overnight stop is to go to any OTA to construct a multi-city. I just checked Jan 17, Jan 18, and back on Jan 22 for example. Small difference of the prices, but you can have a overnight hop at ORD and fly out to LEX next day morning. AA.com isn't the best for flight searches or codeshares.

MCO-ORD
ORD-LEX
LEX-MCO
I'm a last minute flyer and the most out I book is two weeks. Looking at a month from now, with over night one way, $589. The straight shot in one day, $225. So double from what I see.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:24 pm

ummmm....

Is $225 one way or roundtrip? If it's roundtrip, then I have absolutely ZERO doubt that AA cant find people to fill seats both ways with fares much higher than that and purposely chooses to turn business like that away because other people will fill their seats for more. Even if it was $225 one way, carrying you all the way to Chicago and then down to Lexington still costs way more than $225. And it's still in AA's best interests not to offer that fare. Sorry - I'd say AA is purposefully not participating in the market because they can get higher fares elsewhere. Stick with Delta or USAir. And -m aybe once you saw 11 people on a LEXORD flight, but that was probably the exception rather than the rule.

I'm a last minute flyer and the most out I book is two weeks. Looking at a month from now, with over night one way, $589. The straight shot in one day, $225. So double from what I see.

Last edited by jasondc; Aug 14, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I had to read your letter more than once to understand it. You may want to try to do something about the readability. That said, your complaint is essentially about routes; and, please pardon me, sounds a bit whiny. Perhaps instead of using the "you screwed my schedule so I'm not flying AA any more" approach, you might try the "I'm sorry to say that your schedule no longer works for me, but I hope to be able to return to AA sometime in the future" approach.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:53 pm

I think many on this board forget that nearly all levels of elite status are available to the masses (if one has any doubt, just look at the recent promo which gave away EXP for 30k EQMs). The only elite status that is not available to the masses is CK.

CK is revenue based (the other statuses are not). Unless you are CK, AA is not concerned about losing your business.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasondc
Is $225 one way or roundtrip? If it's roundtrip, then I have absolutely ZERO doubt that AA cant find people to fill seats both ways with fares much higher than that and purposely chooses to turn business like that away because other people will fill their seats for more. Even if it was $225 one way, carrying you all the way to Chicago and then down to Lexington still costs way more than $225. And it's still in AA's best interests not to offer that fare. Sorry - I'd say AA is purposefully not participating in the market because they can get higher fares elsewhere. Stick with Delta or USAir. And -m aybe once you saw 11 people on a LEXORD flight, but that was probably the exception rather than the rule.
225 is one way.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I had to read your letter more than once to understand it. You may want to try to do something about the readability. That said, your complaint is essentially about routes; and, please pardon me, sounds a bit whiny. Perhaps instead of using the "you screwed my schedule so I'm not flying AA any more" approach, you might try the "I'm sorry to say that your schedule no longer works for me, but I hope to be able to return to AA sometime in the future" approach.
Sorry, I wrote this using my iPhone Notes app. I'm not whiny and not asking to change schedules. I'm hoping for a targeted promotion or even allowing overnight connections at ORD. And the reason I'm hoping for a promotion is because they had one earlier in the year for EXP and also this other promotion that just got leaked, 30k for non elites and you become EXP.

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm Reason: Merged consecutive post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.