Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP upgrade then downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Plato1
Thats a big chance you are taking by not wanting to spend any "extra" time at the airport.
I have had flights get delayed and then bounce back to close to the original time.
Except for a huge ice storm I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on their new boarding time.
With the amount of people who check flight status online now, I can't see how it's possible that if a flight is delayed, it can then get "un-delayed".
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Sure, it's something to complain about I guess and as an EXP they will probably give you some compensation. However, bottom line is that you didn't pay for that seat, and that other person did. They deserve the seat more than you. Lateness does not change that.
I don't disagree with you at all. Was simply trying to find out what happened, and what the correct policy was. Turns out what I was told (and posted) about the late arrival etc. was not the whole story of what was going on. That was clarified by AA CS.

Not looking for anything except for an explanation. Now I have one, so all good
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe the better policy would be to hold all UG's at the gate until just before actual boarding.
Wow, that sounds terrible. Sweating out the last-minute gate upgrade lottery, particularly for a long flight, is one of my least favorite airport experiences and one that I will go to great lengths to avoid. I would almost just rather know that I won't get the upgrade, as opposed to having the possibility dangled before me and then taken away at the last minute.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Interesting enough, as a point of reference from another airline with respect to IDB and check-in or gate presence times, UA's policy is basically to just pay it out in many instances that a pax shows up while the boarding is still going on. UA would not use the 'late check-in' clause as a reason not to pay up in those instances. It just makes me wonder what AA's internal policy is.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...UAL/DENIED-IDB
AA's policy may be very similar based on experience. I had a PHL to DFW to PHX flight (the last flight of the night). PHL to DFW was delayed from MX, leaving me 10 minutes to get from terminal A to terminal D.

Between running and barely catching the train, I made it to the PHX boarding gate as the last person was boarding and the GA was getting ready to close the door. I was told my seat had already been released, I was not supposed to have made the connection, and all seats were full. AA treated it as a misconnect, because I was not at the gate "10 minutes prior to boarding".
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM
AA London to LAX received a SWU to BC at gate . After BC boarded, GA called me back to terminal gate and reassigned me to coach. Business class passenger arrived late to the gate.
I had to endure two loud 4 & 6 year old passengers and ill mannered parents. Ouch! Disappointed in AA.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Lisa53SoCal
I had to endure two loud 4 & 6 year old passengers and ill mannered parents. Ouch! Disappointed in AA.
Was that your original seat or did you just get what was left?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM
I was assigned a new seat in coach.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I would contact AA. The GA needs to either wait to process the UG or let it stand.

Was your new seat worse than the original Y seat?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
AA London to LAX received a SWU to BC at gate . After BC boarded, GA called me back to terminal gate and reassigned me to coach. Business class passenger arrived late to the gate.
Make sure you get the SWU back- this is not a bulletproof process for AA.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
That buh-lows. Sorry to hear that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.