Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J type service on 738 Transcon (IFE/food)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

On AA 145 JFK-SAN right now and they're handing out Samsung tablets/Bose headsets and printed Business Class menus. Asked FA handing out IFE how long this has been going on and she said about a month. They never did this when they were flying the 763 on this route.

Added: Other FA said last 2 weeks. SAN, SEA, BOS...

Last edited by JMN57; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Recent change indeed, and also listed on aa.com:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/galaxyTab.jsp
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:14 pm

Nice. Was expecting that on my DFW-MAD cxn today but plane got put out of service for a mechanical issue. Waiting on an older plane to get turned around and I'm guessing they don't have tablets available on that flight....

Random note - Why did they decide to hand out tablets? Sure, its a bigger screen than the built-in tv system but in my experience most F and J fliers have their own. Can you put in a meal/drink order to the galley or direct message the flight purser or pax in other seats from these things? Why are we supposed to get giddy about them?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
unless something is different about the 738 they use JFK-SAN, there is no personal IFE on the plane.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:42 pm

this is awesome news! i'm on the SEA -> JFK route fairly regularly.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by 500dor
Random note - Why did they decide to hand out tablets? Sure, its a bigger screen than the built-in tv system but in my experience most F and J fliers have their own.
i welcome the convenience, because it means i dont have to spend the time before a flight to load new content onto my tablet. connected on the ground i stream netflix, hulu, hbo, etc., but every time i fly it's 30 mins to an hour searching for and downloading stuff to watch offline.

gtabs save me from this hassle.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahcjar103:20947588
Originally Posted by 500dor
Random note - Why did they decide to hand out tablets? Sure, its a bigger screen than the built-in tv system but in my experience most F and J fliers have their own.
i welcome the convenience, because it means i dont have to spend the time before a flight to load new content onto my tablet. connected on the ground i stream netflix, hulu, hbo, etc., but every time i fly it's 30 mins to an hour searching for and downloading stuff to watch offline.

gtabs save me from this hassle.
+1 lots of free content and can always fall back on content loaded on my Nexus 7.

FYI - the food service is basically 762 Tcon J - starter (cajun chicken), salad, 2 entrees and sundae or cheese plate plus fruit & cookies. select wines (prosecco, 2 whites, 2 reds)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by JMN57
+1 lots of free content and can always fall back on content loaded on my Nexus 7.

FYI - the food service is basically 762 Tcon J - starter (cajun chicken), salad, 2 entrees and sundae or cheese plate plus fruit & cookies. select wines (prosecco, 2 whites, 2 reds)
Are they serving the food (by each course) like transcon J? I flew this route a lot this past winter when it was a 763. And the FAs would always do the dinner service from the cart all at once. So the salad, appetizer, and dinner would all be on the same plate. It's not as though there isn't enough time on that flight to do it by each course. And you had to eat the entrée first, otherwise it got cold if you ate the salad and appetizer first.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Are they serving the food (by each course) like transcon J? I flew this route a lot this past winter when it was a 763. And the FAs would always do the dinner service from the cart all at once. So the salad, appetizer, and dinner would all be on the same plate. It's not as though there isn't enough time on that flight to do it by each course. And you had to eat the entrée first, otherwise it got cold if you ate the salad and appetizer first.
I've always had appetizer/salad as one course, and then the entree separately when in transcon J, although it's been a couple years.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Great to see American Airlines value premium travelers. They are doing great! Much better than what Delta or the continentalized United does today with premium service from the coasts! It will be interesting if this finally forces United or Delta to step up their premium services.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Great to see American Airlines value premium travelers. They are doing great! Much better than what Delta or the continentalized United does today with premium service from the coasts! It will be interesting if this finally forces United or Delta to step up their premium services.
I'm wondering what Parker will do to it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet:20948353

Yes. Service by course (app was w/salad). Unfortunately from the cart (probably too much to ask for plated in galley and brought out). While there's enough time it is still a big service in a 738.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Way better than what UA is serving.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Meal was good. Didn't stop me from getting a bar pizza @ Grand del Mar when I checked in (I burn a ton of calories when I travel). Menu for those interested.

Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Meal was good. Didn't stop me from getting a bar pizza @ Grand del Mar when I checked in (I burn a ton of calories when I travel). Menu for those interested.

This menu and service is somewhere between traditional F and J on the 762 JFK-LAX/SFO transcons. I had the filet last month from LAX although the salad on this menu didn't have the chipotle style chicken. I don't fly JFK-SAN but I might try it when business takes me to the Inland Empire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.