Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappearing Dinner Menus in F

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2001, 9:48 pm

My recent experience is that I usually receive lunch or dinner menus in F between LAX and ORD and in J/P between LAX and JFK, including just last week. Since they're provided more often than not, I do miss them when they're not available. I don't usually see them during breakfast service though.

For you AA history buffs, back in the "old days" everyone on the long hauls got menus. My first flight on AA was in Y between LAX and JFK in 1980 (pre-AAdvantage, unfortunately, so no miles).

I have menu from that flight themed "The Beauty of Flight", "prepared with the assistance of the American Museum of Natural History", featuring full color illustrations of various birds.

After a starter of "Mediterranean Salad", the entree choices were filet of flounder with crab stuffing, chicken midwestern or filet mignon lorraine.

The entrees were served on those old, heavy ceramic "dishes". Not quite china, but better than today's plastic stuff.

Old Jun 2, 2001, 4:05 am

Sorry to be full of questions , but (and I am on old menu buff (and probably buffer) from TWA days in the 70s. What is Filet Mignon Lorraine? I've heard of Quiche Lorraine made with bacon eggs and Gruyere, but this one is new to me!
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by PAUL PALMER:
What is Filet Mignon Lorraine?</font>
Paul,

From the 1980 menu:

Filet Mignon Lorraine

"Tender filet of beef broiled to juicy perfection and enhanced by a rich brown sauce with diced tomatoes. Served with Duchess potatoes laced with Cheddar cheese and tender peas and carrots."

I'm sure its the entree I selected, but I have absolutely no recollection of it!
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:54 am

I think that this is case of Culinary Magic. Since the nearest Cheddar to Lorraine is in the Cheddar gorge in somerset, and tomatoes are as native to eastern France as the Pineapple, this is a little artistic licence on the lines of "Broiled to perfection"! As they probably broiled 10,000 of them that day some will, like all of us, have been a little less than perfect I dare say. It sounds delicious, and to be fair, it is a lot mre than we get nowadays!

We could make a wonderful thread of this, wonderful menu descriptions. So many thanks for sharing!!

Paul
Old Jun 3, 2001, 12:35 am

Hi I just worked ORD to LAX on 757 and there where NO menus in FC. I always give out menus, because it makes my job easer. I don't have to ask you so many questions. To the post above who does not like me I am a 46 year young women. 30 years in the Resturant business. I even owned my own for 6 years. So please don't assume you know me from a few post that I coped and Pasted for a way of giving you information. I did explan that on another thread.
Old Jun 3, 2001, 6:24 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by LAX/EXP:

Filet Mignon Lorraine

"Tender filet of beef broiled to juicy perfection and enhanced by a rich brown sauce with diced tomatoes. Served with Duchess potatoes laced with Cheddar cheese and tender peas and carrots."
</font>
And that was from a coach menu?

Old Jun 3, 2001, 10:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SuperSlug:
And that was from a coach menu? </font>
Yes, from a 1980 transcon on a 747. At that time I couldn't even comprehend sitting in F!

Things have certainly changed in 21 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.