Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FEBO vs reserving your entree in advance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:52 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by brp
I'm not sure how giving you more choices, thinking that you could have changed your mind and want something different, while still having your pre-ordered item available should be a cause for craziness.

Seriously, people complain if they don't have an option to change their choice as well as if they're given added options. No wonder the FAs can't win

Cheers.

I love most AA FAs. I am actually concerned about fellow travelers. What if I change my mind from say pasta to beef and then there is not enough beef for others that pre-ordered beef just because I had better FEBO seating? I think if one pre-orders, they made their bed and now need to lie in it.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Out of my last 10 or so flights that I have pre-ordered, my flight tonight was the first one that the FA had my pre-order acknowledged. She appeared to have it on a print out on her tray. I will still book FEBO until I see some consistency,
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:26 pm

I've preordered 12 times since the program started and each time the flight attendant has acknowledged it. Once it was noted after I told her I had previously reserved my choice; she apologized and said she saw that. If the f/a has the print out with the first class seat diagram that is designed to record drink and meal orders (the one that has boxes for each seat with the pax name at the top of the box), the entree reservation appears at the bottom of each box. I really like the system. As another poster noted, the online descriptions of the choices are much more detailed.

Last edited by DCAstudent; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:28 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I love most AA FAs. I am actually concerned about fellow travelers. What if I change my mind from say pasta to beef and then there is not enough beef for others that pre-ordered beef just because I had better FEBO seating? I think if one pre-orders, they made their bed and now need to lie in it.
Ah, I see your point. I would think that, if giving you the choice, they would not poach into the other pre-ordered items...just into the non-pre-ordered. Anyone who pre-ordered should have their choice available, even if switches are offered to some.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
So it sounds like I should keep my FEBO seating just in case. I'll be interested to see how this works out in the future as more FAs are trained and the Ipads are out system wide.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HNL
Brp is misguided

When pre-orders work it allows one to site toward the front AND get what they want to eat. There have been issues with pre-orders not making to the plane, but more often than not they do so I am now selecting seats without FEBO consideration (where Pre-ordered is offered).
I'd be careful with doing that just yet. I have yet to have the pre-order meal service "work".
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TxnTravlr
Was on a flight mid-March that had pre-orders available, and when FA came by to ask what we would like for lunch, we informed her that we had chosen online. She very quickly informed us that she had not yet undergone "training" on that system and didn't have the ipad (or similar?) required for it... so, don't expect that it will be available on your flight... FEBO is still the best plan.
She was misinformed. No special training or device is necessary to implement the new program. The Pre-ordered entrees are listed on the printed passenger manifest that the FAs have been receiving from the GAs since the beginning of time. All the FAs have to do is look at the correct section of the manifest for the entree selections. I have seen these manifests many times and they are easy to read and understand.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNL
When pre-orders work it allows one to site toward the front AND get what they want to eat. There have been issues with pre-orders not making to the plane, but more often than not they do so I am now selecting seats without FEBO consideration (where Pre-ordered is offered).
Does AA really change the mix of entrées by flight based on pre-orders? Would certainly be impressive logistics if they did.
Or does AA simply load the same mix of say 8 pastas and 8 chickens, and the pre-orders just reduce the available count for the non-pre-order pax? So theoretically if 8 pax pre-ordered chicken, the non-pre-order pax would have a choice of pasta or nothing?

As others have, until there is more consistency in the service, I still select seats for FEBO as well as pre-order.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 30, 2013 at 6:53 am
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Does AA really change the mix of entrées by flight based on pre-orders? Would certainly be impressive logistics if they did.
Or does AA simply load the same mix of say 8 pastas and 8 chickens, and the pre-orders just reduce the available count for the the non-pre-order pax? So theoretically if 8 pax pre-ordered chicken, the non-pre-order pax would have a choice of pasta or nothing?
That is a great question. I think that is why they cut off the Pre-ordering at T-24 hours... so that the catering contractors have time to adjust the loads for each flight.

I'm assuming that if 10 pax pre-order the chicken by 24 hours in advance, then they will have to load more chicken entrees in order to accommodate these pax and also provide a mixture for the rest of the pax.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Preorder a Huge Bonus For Folks With Food Allergies

I am "six for six" in receiving my pre-ordered meal.

FEBO is only effective when the seats you need for FEBO priority are available, but pre-ordering lets me avoid entrees my cheese allergy won't let me eat even when I am the last one served. Until pre-order became available, my only option when the only entree left had cheese was to ask if one of the "for sale" sandwiches from coach was available that I could peel the cheese off.

I am hoping that the next step will be better descriptions, as my last flight MCO-ORD the entree simply described as "chicken" had been bombed with feta cheese that had disintegrated into tough-to-work-around granules throughout.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:31 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by brp
Ah, I see your point. I would think that, if giving you the choice, they would not poach into the other pre-ordered items...just into the non-pre-ordered. Anyone who pre-ordered should have their choice available, even if switches are offered to some.

Cheers.
I hope you are right but am not convinced it works that way. I'll continue to stick with my pre-order in defense of others!!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:56 am

haven't had a single issue with pre-ordering so far, I use it often and it's always worked out perfectly, most times with the FA acknowledging the pre-order. I think it's a great system.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
I'm 0 for 3 in FA's being aware that I pre-ordered my meal online.

If meal choice matters, I'd stick with FEBO for a while.

OT: How does US do meal choices-- front to back? Status? FEBO?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Max M
OT: How does US do meal choices-- front to back? Status? FEBO?
Meals? What meals?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I'm 0 for 6 on my preorders. When I mentioned it to the FAs I generally got a vacant look and sometimes an "umm... we didn't get that list this time." Maybe it works on some routes better than others. All my flights were between NYC and MIA or FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.