FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   FEBO vs reserving your entree in advance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1453635-febo-vs-reserving-your-entree-advance.html)

ak333 Mar 29, 2013 2:31 pm

FEBO vs reserving your entree in advance

On an upcoming flight in F next week, I did seat myself for FEBO, but then forgot that I could order my entree in advance. so, does FEBO make a difference any more with the advanced ordering option?

Rookie3 Mar 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 20504718)
On an upcoming flight in F next week, I did seat myself for FEBO, but then forgot that I could order my entree in advance. so, does FEBO make a difference any more with the advanced ordering option?

Until they work out the kinks I am still seating myself FEBO. For me the advanced ordering option has not worked too well yet so I sometimes end up having to reorder on the plane.

brp Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm

I prefer FEBO because I may not know what I want. If I pre-order, I'm locked in. If I have a FEBO-friendly seat, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get what I want at that time. I see no advantage to pre-ordering, even if it worked perfectly.

Cheers.

Rookie3 Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 20504837)
I prefer FEBO because I may not know what I want. If I pre-order, I'm locked in. If I have a FEBO-friendly seat, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get what I want at that time. I see no advantage to pre-ordering, even if it worked perfectly.

Cheers.

Are you really supposed to be locked in if you preorder? Even when they get it right they give me the option to switch to something else.

Mark_T Mar 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Doesn't matter what you do sometimes, on Wednesday the FA on an odd numbered flight decided to take meal orders along with drink orders from the front without first checking what had been pre-ordered.

I was seated as per FEBO at the back and I got lucky as all he had left by the time he got to me was exactly what I'd pre-ordered, but when I mentioned the pre-order he had a look of horror wash over his face as though he had only just remembered that this existed.

The two guys on the other side of the aisle were not so lucky ...

HNL Mar 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 20504837)

Cheers.

Brp is misguided :)

When pre-orders work it allows one to site toward the front AND get what they want to eat. There have been issues with pre-orders not making to the plane, but more often than not they do so I am now selecting seats without FEBO consideration (where Pre-ordered is offered).

::JUJUBE Mar 29, 2013 4:22 pm

I've preordered a meal, seen something else on the menu and tried to switch, but was not allowed to do so -- FYI for those wondering.

brp Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 20505045)
Brp is misguided :)

When pre-orders work it allows one to site toward the front AND get what they want to eat. There have been issues with pre-orders not making to the plane, but more often than not they do so I am now selecting seats without FEBO consideration (where Pre-ordered is offered).

Considering that these are typically 4-6 row planes, I'm already "toward the front" even in the last row. The flexibility of FEBO works better for me. Others may be happy to make a choice days in advance. Whatever works.

Cheers.

LINDEGR Mar 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE (Post 20505113)
I've preordered a meal, seen something else on the menu and tried to switch, but was not allowed to do so -- FYI for those wondering.

I think that is fair, no offense. In those somewhat rare instances when the FA recognizes that I have pre-ordered, often he/she asks if I still want that. Makes me crazy! What the heck is the point of the pre-order???

TxnTravlr Mar 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Was on a flight mid-March that had pre-orders available, and when FA came by to ask what we would like for lunch, we informed her that we had chosen online. She very quickly informed us that she had not yet undergone "training" on that system and didn't have the ipad (or similar?) required for it... so, don't expect that it will be available on your flight... FEBO is still the best plan.

DALtoAAL Mar 29, 2013 7:43 pm

On my recent flights, 1 out of 5 my pre-ordered meal has been acknowledged by the crew and even then I was asked, if I still want to keep what I had ordered or have the other option. On rest of the flights no dice. So to be safe, I still pick my seats according to FEBO.

will2288 Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Sitting based on FEBO always makes sense, as catering issues are always possible. But the meal order system is great when that is not always possible.

For me, with most meals choices, getting my preferred meal is more important than what row I sit in. On a 738, I prefer rows 4 and 6, based on FEBO, with 6 being my favorite. But I would rather be in row 4 on an even numbered flight, just to increase the chance of getting my preferred meal.

Plato1 Mar 29, 2013 8:01 pm

I would do FEBO for now
Pre-order has not been recognized on most of my flights......so far.

brp Mar 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR (Post 20505384)
I think that is fair, no offense. In those somewhat rare instances when the FA recognizes that I have pre-ordered, often he/she asks if I still want that. Makes me crazy! What the heck is the point of the pre-order???

I'm not sure how giving you more choices, thinking that you could have changed your mind and want something different, while still having your pre-ordered item available should be a cause for craziness.

Seriously, people complain if they don't have an option to change their choice as well as if they're given added options. No wonder the FAs can't win :)

Cheers.

NiceLanding Mar 29, 2013 8:35 pm

One thing I like about the preorder system is that the online description of the food seems to be more complete and reliable than what the FA usually tells you.