Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum challenge question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2001, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Comp'd elite is not often given to non-NAmerican residents as readily as to those residing and likely to be flying domestically on AA. Best bet is to register for the Challenge by phone prior to your flight if they don't comp you. Once you hit 10K, you'll get the benefits. Assuming your ticket is full-fare Y, if your first leg is BKK-NRT and your second is NRT-LAX (or wherever in the US), you should hit 10K on the cross-Pacific trip and that will get the 100% mileage bonus. If discount, you will not get the bonus but should qualify after another AA or oneworld partner flight.

Also, make sure your flight ex-BKK is on a oneworld carrier that accrues Q-miles on the fare you are flying [many discount fares on CX do not get miles, except for Canadian-based AAdvantage members], or uses the AA codeshare designator and not Japan Airlines' code.

As for operatinal upgrades, this occurs when flights are overbooked and upgrading is by elite status and ticket price. As noted, it may not happen very often, if at all.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:59 am

I understand that you need 10,000 points over a three month period to achieve the Platinum status challenge. What is the easiest and most accurate way to monitor exactly how many "points" you have earned after each flight? Can you find this information at the American website or do you need to call customer service? Do the points you earn normally differ to a great deal from the miles you earn for a flight?

Also, I saw it posted somewhere that you can only register for a Platinum challenge once. If that is true is that once per year or one time ever?

[This message has been edited by Lake1 (edited 01-27-2001).]
Old Jan 27, 2001, 12:32 pm

Hi, I'm a bit confused with Q points rules for the Challenge. Do these special LOVE fares to Europe count as .5 Q points per mile flown or do they count as nothing? Any insight would be helpful as I plan to complete the challenge...
Old Jan 27, 2001, 12:37 pm

To check your Q-points YTD, simply surf on to www.aa.com and log into your AAdvantage account. The summaries on that page tell much, and are worth much!

What do you mean by miles earned the normal way? If you mean miles earned through purchases, those miles can be used to exchange for flights, but they are NOT elite qualifying miles. Only flight miles earned on AA metal, AA coded flights (on codeshare partners), and OneWorld partners are eligible as Q-miles. To maintain AAdvantage elite status, anyhow, you need to fly at least 4 sectors on American every year.

Platinum Challenge is a once-in-a-lifetime thinggy, or so it seems. But you can do the Gold Challenge to after you've used up your Platinum Challenge.

As everybody has mentioned, it's always the best policy to check out FewMile's site prior to posting common questions on the board, but if you've got questions still, then we're always here to help. I remember just 2 months ago when I was new to AAdvantage and this board, I too was asking countless questions even after visiting FewMile's site. But the guys here are simple a Godsend.

Cheers,
Maple

------------------
Flew every one of those 25,000 Q-miles and onto 50,000!
Old Jan 27, 2001, 12:42 pm

NYCflier:

Your romantic love tickets to Europe, booked mostly in L, M, N, Q classes are all deeply discounted economy fares. These tickets will all earn you 1 qualifying mile per mile flown, BUT 0.5 qualifying point per mile flown (I am assuming you fly on AA metal and/or AA coded flights on codeshare partners). So you need 20,000 qualifying miles to earn 10,000 qualifying points to complete the Platinum challenge. Take into account such qualifying miles DO NOT include elite bonuses, EUR00 bonuses and online purchase bonuses.

There's been a dispute about M class fares earning zero miles and points. I still do not know the outcome of the dispute, so take heed. Moreover, if my memory serves me well, M class fares out of Europe are considered consolidator fares and as such earn you nothing. Best to avoid them. Or simply email/call Customer Service to check this out prior to purchase (remember to take down the agent's name and number).

Just for info, transatlantic flights on BA DO NOT earn you anything!

Enjoy your trip to Europe!
Maple or Montreal

------------------

[This message has been edited by maple (edited 01-27-2001).]
Old Jan 27, 2001, 1:49 pm

Maple, Thanks for the reply. So the LOVE fares are L-class fares, I presume? Does the first letter in the fare basis code represent the fare class? Looking forward to the trip(s?) to Europe!
Old Jan 27, 2001, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Well, gee, I take a one-day lurk-mode holiday and these threads sure have grown! On to the questions ...

What is the easiest and most accurate way to monitor exactly how many "points" you have earned after each flight?

As maple said, you can find this info on www.aa.com under the AAdvantage / View My Miles. But it is probably a good idea to keep track of your flight activity on paper during the period of the challenge. The online account statement shows how mileage is earned in great detail, but only offers your year-to-date total Q-points with no details. Briefly, Q-points earned are based on the flight mileage and the class of service:
  • first class (F) = 1.50 Q-points/mile
  • business class (J) = 1.25 Q-points/mile
  • full-fare econ (Y) = 1.00 Q-points/mile
  • discount econ (B, H, K, M, L, others) = 0.50 Q-points/mile

Does the first letter in the fare basis code represent the fare class?

That's exactly right!

Also, I saw it posted somewhere that you can only register for a Platinum challenge once. If that is true is that once per year or one time ever?

maple is correct, you only get to try this once. Once per year? Come now, that would be making it too easy...

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
Old Jan 27, 2001, 4:32 pm

FewMiles,

You will have to excuse my ignorance regarding the Platinum challenge. Until recently I had never heard of a challenge or how it worked. You may have noticed that my question was only my fifth post on this site.

I visited your site and it looks very informative. I will try to get my questions answered there before I post any additional basic questions regarding the American program. Thank you again for your help.

[This message has been edited by Lake1 (edited 01-27-2001).]
Old Jan 27, 2001, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
My comments:

UA comped me and my wife status (Exec Prem/Prem) last year, thanks to similar (yet about to end) AA status. (This even led to receiving UA's "Thanks for your loyalty" mileage gift last year, although I didn't know about it when I asked.) That I live abroad made no difference to UA, and NW was also clamoring to follow suit (I told them no.) Comping involved faxing the relevant parts of our statement and status cards to the UA elite services people, and I assume AA would follow the same procedures.
Comping is also a one-shot deal, so should be used whe it makes the most sense.

My wife used her AA Gold Challenge chance to have Gold from 12/99-2/01, and I am considering doing the AA Plat Challenge for both of us this year - after July, so that it will be effective through 2/2003.

We were lucky enough to be op upgraded TPA-ORD in Dec, and ORD-NRT on the connecting flight. The AA Club angel (friend of bbinchi's) told me I was the only Plat in Coach on a very oversold flight. AA Business has really improved, and this was a great bonus. Plus the double miles bonus, etc.... Plat is definitely worth a Challenge when the timing is right.

Timing is important for both comped status and Challenges, since these are apparently once-per-lifetime allowances.

-KP
Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:00 pm

ia
Originally posted by maple:
There's been a dispute about M class fares earning zero miles and points. I still do not know the outcome of the dispute, so take heed. Moreover, if my memory serves me well, M class fares out of Europe are considered consolidator fares and as such earn you nothing. Best to avoid them. Or simply email/call Customer Service to check this out prior to purchase (remember to take down the agent's name and number).
Oh, now I remember AA transpacific ex-BKK is also M on discounted economy.

Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:26 pm

And so is transpacific ex-NRT, on discounted economy M class. But they do accrue q-miles and half q-points on AA metal, and AA coded flights on code-share partners (ie. JAL).

I read from FewMile's site that it's actually Q class fares ex-Europe that accrue nothing.

Maple

------------------
Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:30 pm

Got it!It took me half an hour of calling the U.S. but after seeing my rsvn & UA summary, AA comped me to Plt.The fares from BKK are M so will I get miles for this.Who should I call to make sure as I don't want to fly until I'm absolutely sure. AA is giving me TG from BKK to NRT.This M fare issue is now putting me off.If thats the case then I have to reconsider my whole strategy as UA tkts from BKK are a high B fare.
Old Jan 27, 2001, 9:42 pm

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you, United. Ever considered changing your FT nick?

I am pretty sure M class ex-Asia, on AA metal and AA coded flights on code share partners are eligible. But call Customer Service with your PNR on hand to confirm. Then scurry back and tell us all!

Maple

------------------
Old Jan 27, 2001, 11:36 pm

UNITED. Congratulations!

You only get AA's Q-miles/points for NRT owards. If TG is the carrier for BKK-NRT, then you can credit it to UA MP.

It may be too late but look for a travel agent who can issue BKK-NRT on AA's codeshare with JL and have them issue the sector as AA metal.

Then you get M all the way for your a little over 10,000 Q-miles one way and 100% Plat. bonus.

I myself did this run a few times last year but I find UA is better in that you can upgrade all the way with far fewer miles.

With AA, you cannot upgrade BKK-NRT-BKK with miles, unless you use miles from respective carriers.

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 01-28-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 2001, 11:31 am

Originally posted by FewMiles:
Well, gee, I take a one-day lurk-mode holiday and these threads sure have grown! On to the questions ...

What is the easiest and most accurate way to monitor exactly how many "points" you have earned after each flight?

As maple said, you can find this info on www.aa.com under the AAdvantage / View My Miles. But it is probably a good idea to keep track of your flight activity on paper during the period of the challenge. The online account statement shows how mileage is earned in great detail, but only offers your year-to-date total Q-points with no details. Briefly, Q-points earned are based on the flight mileage and the class of service:
  • first class (F) = 1.50 Q-points/mile
  • business class (J) = 1.25 Q-points/mile
  • full-fare econ (Y) = 1.00 Q-points/mile
  • discount econ (B, H, K, M, L, others) = 0.50 Q-points/mile

Does the first letter in the fare basis code represent the fare class?

That's exactly right!

maple is correct, you only get to try this once. Once per year? Come now, that would be making it too easy...

FewMiles..

Hi FewMiles,
From what you have written above regarding fares that qualify for Q points, you seem to leave out A and D classes. Does this mean that discounted First and discounted Business Class cannot be used to earn Q points?
I actually phoned AA in the UK today and they thought that A and D classes would not earn Q points. Is this true?
Regards
Salt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.