Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing oneworld multicarrier award ticket itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2001, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Changing oneworld multicarrier award ticket itinerary

Assuming I have a ticket HKG-o/KUL-x/LHR-o/ZRH-o/BKK-MEL on a oneworld multicarrier award ticket and HKG-o/KUL has been flown, do you know if the following change is allowed, maybe for a 75USD fee.

Change KUL-x/LHR-o/ZRH to BKK-x/LHR-o/GVA.

(Please also assume that it is within the mileage ceiling of the original ticket, say 20,000.)

I am thinking about a change along these lines because it is difficult to get an award ticket seat on my original plan.

Just wondered if anyone has done a similar change. I wonder if the EXP desk can give me a quick answer ....

Any input is appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Can't remember (had a similar award issued/used last year on CP). Change fee sounds about right.

I am not sure what you can do about the open jaw between KUL and BKK (other than KUL-HKG-BKK). There is a twice-weekly AY flight between SIN and BKK however.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 1:34 pm

Another SIN-BKK option is CX, which has a daily flight. The KUL airport is so far south of KL that many business travellers now drive from KL to Singapore (good interstate-type highway the entire way).
Old Jan 17, 2001, 6:22 pm

You'll get better advice on this question in the Oneworld group on FT...
Old Jan 21, 2001, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you, terenz,HKG_Flyer and PaulSEA1.

It seems breaking the journey on the way is OK, though an EXP rep. told me no, which was a bit disappointing.

Here is what happened ...

I first called a Japanese language rep. in the U.S., as I was there. She checked it with somebody else (took a while) and said I can do it with a penalty.

I thanked her and hanged up and worked out a new itinerary and called an EXP rep., who looked up my PNR and simply said I cannot do it. She was very polite. I asked her to consult with the oneworld desk (if there is such a thing). She just refused -- politely -- to do it and said it cannot be done.

I just hanged up and called a Japanese rep. (different one) again and asked her to change the itinerary. And she did it after consulting it with somebody else. I was at SFO and had it re-ticketed at an AA counter immediately and it was done.

I really don't know why the EXP rep. did not check with another agent or whoever familiar with the rules.

Just a side, HKG_Flyer, don't they get stuck at Causeway? How long is the journey by car? I thought it used to take six or seven hours. This, I guess, is before the interstate highway you talked about was built.

The itinerary I mentioned in the first post is a ficticious one. I've changed it from BKK-LHR to KUL-LHR. But the one I wanted was SIN-LHR. Both ex-BKK and ex-SIN were full for award travel. KUL seems to have less demand. I haven't been flown to KUL airort for a while. I guess it would be nice. I like that airport, if not its location.

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 01-21-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.