AA and "Rule 240"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2000, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HiltonHonors Diamond
AA and "Rule 240"

I just learned about "Rule 240" and was
wondering whether anyone had any info. as
to AA's interpretation of said [and defunct, if I'm not mistaken] rule.

Cheers,
Parkesy
Old Aug 10, 2000, 5:45 am

> rule 240 ... defunct

not to my knowledge. i use it. checkout:
www.onetravel.com/rules/rules.cfm

-doug
Old Aug 10, 2000, 8:30 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Rule 240 is defunct in the sense that it is no longer enforced by the government (it was part of the Civil Aeronautics Board rules). But it has been placed in the Conditions of Carriage of most airlines, which are borrowed from those rules. (Some airlines number differently; on WN, it's rule 85, and on N7, it's section 254. These two airlines deserve our thanks for putting their contracts of carriage on the Web for all to see.)
Old Aug 10, 2000, 7:00 pm

Rule 240 is no longer used, although some of the old-timers still use it. It's called rule 120.20 now and it's the same as rule 240. Basically, agents use it as an endorsement to the other airlines to accept their ticket at face value. This is so that if you pay $300 round-trip ORD-LGA-ORD and now your $150 return flight is cancelled, then the airline will endorse that ticket over and the carrier will get that $150, as opposed to them writing a FIM and then costing the airline the full coach fare for LGA-ORD, about $800. The airlines now will rule 120.20 tickets over and accept these tickets if there is a dollar value in the ticket only (not the bulk fare or award tickets) even if it says valid on AA only, for example. Of course, the airlines must have agreements between them, most do except National, Southwest. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 1:54 am

......and from the desk...again. Award tickets are treated the same as revenue tickets..if we are doing a rule 240 due to cancelled flights we will protect award passengers the same as paid for with cash tickets. Believe it or not award tickets are
considered revenue. This was the topic of discusssion with a trainer in the smoking area Monday night. Bear in mind we do not protect because of weather (we're not God, believe it or not He still controls the weather) and not because of the FAA's air traffic control problems but if it is our problem we will try to protect. But bear in mind there...are..guidelines. If we have a flight that will get you there at the same time or earlier than someone else's flight, you're still flying on us. It would not be a good business decision for us to put you on someone else if it's unecessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.