Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting domestic to international in Dallas/Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2000, 12:30 pm
dg1
Original Poster

Connecting domestic to international in Dallas/Chicago?

Hello,

I am flying through Dallas to Calgary in a few days. My connection in Dallas is 57 minutes long from a domestic connection. Is this enough time? Will I have to transfer terminals, and how long does that normally take?

I am flying Calgary to Chicago then on domestically a few days after that. My connection in Chicago is 90 minutes long. I assume that's enough time..? Will I have to transfer terminals, and how long does that normally take?

Thanks for the information.

Old Aug 8, 2000, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
For Calgary-Chicago, you'll actually clear US Customs at the Calgary airport, so you'll land in Terminal 3 with all the domestic flights.
Old Aug 8, 2000, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Connecting time at DFW depends on whether or not you have to transfer from one terminal to another. You won't know for sure until you see where you land relative to your departure gate, but 57 minutes is normally plenty for the worst case including the train. For US citizens, the only difference from a domestic connection is that your picture ID has to be something that lets you into Canada, ideally a passport. (Expired is OK since it just has to establish citizenship.)
Old Aug 8, 2000, 4:30 pm

When I flew EWR-DFW-YYC, my walk between gates at DFW was indistinguishable from my everyday domestic connections in Dallas.
Old Aug 8, 2000, 6:47 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
My only recommendation with DFW....stay off the tram!

It is the most unreliable form of transportation.

I have walked from C39 to A1 in about 15 minutes. That includes lugging my laptop and rollerboard mid-day.

DG1...where are you coming from into DFW? You will take off out of terminal A in DFW -- most likely around gate A19 if you are on the morning or afternoon flight. The evening is usally around A39.
Old Aug 8, 2000, 7:09 pm
dg1
Original Poster

My inbound flight is scheduled to arrive in C37. My outbound flight leaves at A34. Ouch. It looks like there is both a 'trAAin' that goes from gate to gate for AA and an airport train that goes between terminals. Which should I avoid, if not both?

[This message has been edited by dg1 (edited 08-08-2000).]
Old Aug 8, 2000, 8:58 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
DG1

It is not that bad -- really! A and C meet at C1/A39. So, all you have to do is walk the length of C and then a few gates in A.

Here is a listing: http://www.dfwairport.com/terminals/

Avoid both train systems -- especially the 'trAAin'. The trAAin is a service that goes between A, B and C for American gates only. The train (outside of security) serves all terminals at DFW for all gates.

Good luck!
Old Aug 8, 2000, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Hi,

I agree that both trains at DFW are pretty bad. They are actually the same system but the trAAin is inside AA's terminals so you don't have to go out/then reclear security. The trAAin is crowded and a very clunky people mover but is does run every 2-4 minutes.

Avoid the airport train (don't exit the "secure" side of the terminal, IE, don't go thru any revolving doors). This train only runs every 15 minutes.

My personal preference is to walk. But I love to walk, especially when connecting between 2 connecting flights. If walking isn't your forte, then don't worry about the trAAin, it will do it's job. 57 minutes should be enough time (assuming you arrive on time) to get to your gate just as they start boarding.

By the way ... the 'international' aspect of your trip is irrelevant, other than it just about garuntees a departure from terminal A. Your inbound flight, even tho scheduled for terminal C could just as easily end up in A (maybe even next to your Calgary flight .. but don't bet on it)
Old Aug 8, 2000, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Me again...

To clarify what I hate about the trAAin/airport train (and maybe this is what DrHowser meant by it being an "unrealiable form of transportation"):

Except when there is ice on the ground (and the airport will then provide buses outside of security) the system will get you there. But it will bounce you left and right; it will poke along at a walking pace; it will finally speed up to a good run only to 10 seconds later slam on the brakes. Before you get to your station you will be so tired of the recorded message "the doors are about to close, please stand clear of the doors !) which aren't in the least bit timed to the closing of the doors

The system is 1970's technology (though it was used in the filming of the '80s "Logan's Run" to represent some high tech outer planetary transport system. Thank goodness the DFW airport board just started taking bids on a new system!
Old Aug 9, 2000, 9:34 am
dg1
Original Poster

I'd have to admit, you guys have peaked my curiousity about the trAAin -- even if it sucks, I think I'm going to try it once so I can see what it's all about. Then I'll be able to complain just like you guys <grin>

Thanks for all the tips. I just hope my flight isn't delayed. I'm checking my bags just in case.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 9:51 am

I have been on the TrAAin. And I missed my connection. Perhaps I could have walked faster from wherever I came in to the Eagle gates. It crawled. There is no good place to put your bags. And you have to climb over people (or be climbed over) to get on and off.
For my money, I'd connect at ORD. Even though that is my home airport, I had two connections there recently. Way closer that DFW. Of course at DFW, I was going to the Eagle gates.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 1:22 pm
dg1
Original Poster

All flights through Chicago are sold out for my iterinary. In addition, I thought here at Flyertalk we were beaten if we didn't take the longest path to get the most frequent flier miles? <grin>
Old Aug 9, 2000, 1:28 pm

dg, you make a very valid point!
Old Aug 9, 2000, 8:06 pm

Hence my trip DFW-LAX-ORD-YYZ

Yes, that is what I meant about the trAAin. It is sooooooooooooooooo slow. There is no where to put your luggage, and a ton ofc other issues. Never fear, if you are in a hurry, you will get stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.