Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

WN Offers Double Points and Tier Qualifying Points; Will AA Match? [Speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Offers Double Points and Tier Qualifying Points; Will AA Match? [Speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold

The Promotion was offered by Southwest Airlines (WN) today.

Details:

Beginning February, 20, 2013, our two promotions below will be combined and enriched into one new promotionNationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points! With this new promotion, you will earn double points and double Tier Qualifying Points when you book any of your flights through Southwest Airlines and complete your travel by May 15, 2013!

More Information:

http://www.southwest.com/rapidreward...1BDOUPOI130219

AA to match? If so, time to book some additional flights?

ZakkW
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
WHY would AA do that? Do they compete with WN for passengers?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:13 pm

not a chance, but i can hope b/c of my MR to GIG in April.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by JDiver
WHY would AA do that? Do they compete with WN for passengers?
that was my first thought. WN serves a place in the market, but I doubt they're stealing many of AA's customers. (more like stealing Greyhound's customers).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
that was my first thought. WN serves a place in the market, but I doubt they're stealing many of AA's customers. (more like stealing Greyhound's customers).
WN has taken quite a few of AA's customers.. Look at the west coast.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Hardly. The coach experience on WN is a fair bit superior to coach on AA. Anyone who is going to fly coach is better off on WN. Also, as mvoight notes, WN are doing a good job on the west coast. Even as EXP AA fliers, we take WN for:

OAK-SLC
SJC-LAS
SJC-SAN
SJC-SNA

Way better service on WN than AA for these places. If EXP will consider this, it's a no-brainer for those without a strong loyalty.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Hardly. The coach experience on WN is a fair bit superior to coach on AA. Anyone who is going to fly coach is better off on WN. Also, as mvoight notes, WN are doing a good job on the west coast. Even as EXP AA fliers, we take WN for:

OAK-SLC
SJC-LAS
SJC-SAN
SJC-SNA

Way better service on WN than AA for these places. If EXP will consider this, it's a no-brainer for those without a strong loyalty.

Cheers.
As a west coast flyer, I agree with this and use WN for similar routes.

HOWEVER, this WN PROMO has absolutely no effect on my upcoming travel plans.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by carlosdca
HOWEVER, this WN PROMO has absolutely no effect on my upcoming travel plans.
Agree completely. We have some upcoming trips where we were planning to use WN. We still will. No plan changes.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I agree that WN offers a superior coach product. My travel has slowed down to the point where I will not requalify for EXP, and I am finding I am more open to considering WN for some trips. I suspect I'd consider them even more if I did not live at an AA hub. Things could get quite interesting once the Wright Amendment goes away.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
That's not a realistic view of the market any more. Like it or not, WN is not Herb's Southwest any more. I don't think many Greyhound-type pax could afford WN's pricing the last few years. It's not demonstrably lower than anyone else nowadays on a given route. However, MANY business people do fly WN simply to have the flexibility of no/low cancel or change fees, no checked bag fees, etc without having to be elite in a FF program.

Last edited by gsupstate; Feb 20, 2013 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If they do, and I really doubt they will, they'd do it on certain city pairs where they feel that they have mainline flights competing head to head with Southwest. I can't think of any routes where it would be obvious for AA to match except maybe out of LAX. At three of other AA hubs (DFW, MIA, ORD) WN is still at the alternate airport. And WN isn't strong enough at LGA for AA to care.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
At three of other AA hubs (DFW, MIA, ORD) WN is still at the alternate airport.
I don't know how much I would read into that point being a negative. DAL is a big plus for me on as I live in East Dallas, and it's just a stone's throw from Downtown, Uptown, Highland Park, and University Park.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
These speculation threads are utterly pointless. No one knows. And no one will contribute anything here that is remotely useful. Present company included!

Why don't you tell us, OP, whether AA will match or not? Your speculation is no less educated than anyone else that will post here.

But, yes, AA does compete with WN for passengers. I cheat on AA from time to time with WN on DAL routes. Just back from MAF on WN in fact. The WN 737 was on time and palatially spacious in comparison to the XJT-operated CRJ that sullied the Texas skies on the way out to MAF.

As more of the XJT/SKW Flying Skidoos/Devils Chariots replace EGF here at DFW, WN is only going to look better and better in comparison.

Last edited by Herb687; Feb 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I have no idea if AA will match, but yes they compete heavily against WN for passengers.

For many on FlyerTalk WN is an afterthought at best. With no F class or global alliance partners it doesn't appear on our radar. However, WN works for the other 99% (myself included). They have great customer service, incredibly flexible ticket rules, relatively low-priced last-minute fares, no RJs, and an unrivaled point-to-point network that serves a lot of city pairs non-stop that the majors just don't offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.