Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (conso

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

We do not have an inkling of what the new AA-US merged Frequent Flyer Program (FFP) will like. Nonetheless, as a topic dear to FlyerTalkers' hearts, people want to discuss the various parameters, motivations and possible outcomes for the new FFP. Please speculate and discuss those various possibilities in this thread. As we hear what the FFP will look like from the new management / management team, we will then open new threads.

And if you are an AA FFP, don't forget to check the US Airways Dividend Miles Forum to see what came about after the reverse takeover of US Airways by America West under the direction of Doug Parker.

Thank you, the American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (conso

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I won't quote you as this is a speculation thread. In our case, since we will be looking for a big ticket (high point) redemption 10% might work better for us. Let's say we're redeeming a 100,000 point award. That would be a 10k point savings instead of 5k.
Just keep in mind that the benefits tied to the CC have historically only applied when flying US metal. So while it would work out for a high-point US domestic or int'l award, partner flights would be out.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
They don't care, but then again, none of the Airlines care.
...but UA cares less!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gruss
Just keep in mind that the benefits tied to the CC have historically only applied when flying US metal. So while it would work out for a high-point US domestic or int'l award, partner flights would be out.
Gotcha. Well, we'll just have to wait and see, wait and see, wait and wait...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
From what i've heard there will be an announcement regarding the combined FFP tomorrow (Oct 17th). 80% positive.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
From what i've heard there will be an announcement regarding the combined FFP tomorrow (Oct 17th). 80% positive.
A Saturday weekend announcement? Odd timing, I'd say, but recently speculation has been heating up that the actual merging of accounts will occur with the transition to our new benefit year as of March 1st 2015. Of course this would make sense but lots of benefit issues would remain in limbo since the two airlines are still using separate res computer platforms and there'd have to be a lot of software re-writes on one or the other, or both, to accommodate things like a new upgrade regime for NAmerican flights, and use of instruments for overseas flights.

Still it would be good to have definitive news about the 2015 program(s) so we can begin to plan our strategies for keeping elite status (or at least knowing if it will be worth keeping status) in the New AA for 2016!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:09 am

October 17th is today, any updates? Most of us would like to have clarity not only for 2016 but for 2015, given the differences between AA and US
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it's now after 7 pm in Texas, so I don't think we're going to see an announcement today. Maybe next Friday.

If it's good news, I'd expect to see an announcement early in the day, early in the week. Bad news is usually released at 5 pm on Friday.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
A Saturday weekend announcement? Odd timing, I'd say, but recently speculation has been heating up that the actual merging of accounts will occur with the transition to our new benefit year as of March 1st 2015. Of course this would make sense but lots of benefit issues would remain in limbo since the two airlines are still using separate res computer platforms and there'd have to be a lot of software re-writes on one or the other, or both, to accommodate things like a new upgrade regime for NAmerican flights, and use of instruments for overseas flights.

Still it would be good to have definitive news about the 2015 program(s) so we can begin to plan our strategies for keeping elite status (or at least knowing if it will be worth keeping status) in the New AA for 2016!
Wish they would give us some info about the merging of accounts. Any speculation (I realize nobody knows) as to whether we'll have a period when miles can be transferred freely between the two programs, as UA/CO did? I have a lot of AA miles but few US miles, but the US routing rules are more favorable for a trip I'm planning. It would be great if I could move some AA miles into my USDM account.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by middlekingdom
October 17th is today, any updates? Most of us would like to have clarity not only for 2016 but for 2015, given the differences between AA and US
Originally Posted by FWAAA
it's now after 7 pm in Texas, so I don't think we're going to see an announcement today. Maybe next Friday.

If it's good news, I'd expect to see an announcement early in the day, early in the week. Bad news is usually released at 5 pm on Friday.
I'd question the veracity of this report entirely.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If anything, the FF programs will first align themselves to mirror the other. But remain as separate programs. I doubt they would try to merge the programs before they are on the same IT system. However at UA/CO, people who were members of both programs were beforehand able to have their status "matched" to the other program. And their running status achievement carried over to the other program during weekly "sweeps".
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlekingdom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post

Originally Posted by JonNYC

While I cannot comment on the veracity, I would hope that they would announce something sooner rather than later, else status quo should remain for 2015. I would hope that better senses will prevail and they would not make changes with negative impacts, midway through the year. Of course they can make changes at any time, with no notice and immediate effect. There is a precedence for it.

I think it was in 2008 that US suddenly decided it was actual miles flown and not the 500 minimum (if you took a short hop of say 300 miles, you would get only 300 not 500 miles). Of course they reversed the decision the same year, when they became the only one doing it. That was the year they decided that they would charge for soft drinks and water, but that got changed also.

Last edited by middlekingdom; Oct 18, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Allow me to retract, and apologize. While the Oct 17th date I believe was definitely an error, the underlying rumor I now believe to be true; that AA will announce the joint AA/US AAdvantage program very soon--probably in the next 2 weeks or so-- maybe even a bit less.

Some (but certainly not much) more info on TB:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5836
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Sounds good. They've already killed off buying cheap US miles...

I'll miss US routing rules (or lack of same), if it really does become "AAdvantage" and nothing of US survives (AA's routing rules are a combination of and ), but as long as AS isn't dumped on the floor, there will be some positive aspects (US flights becoming part of AS inventory, US customers getting access to AS inventory).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sounds good. They've already killed off buying cheap US miles...

I'll miss US routing rules (or lack of same), if it really does become "AAdvantage" and nothing of US survives (AA's routing rules are a combination of and ), but as long as AS isn't dumped on the floor, there will be some positive aspects (US flights becoming part of AS inventory, US customers getting access to AS inventory).
Hopefully with the new FFP comes new routing rules? Not being allowed to go West Coast-NRT/HKG-South Asia is insane (as has been said plenty of times).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Hopefully with the new FFP comes new routing rules? Not being allowed to go West Coast-NRT/HKG-South Asia is insane (as has been said plenty of times).
As far as i know, N.A. -NRT/HKG- south Asia is always allowed for 67.5k F and 55k J. May be you wanna do NA-hkg-Nrt which is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.