Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've flown UA, US and AA Y in the past month. I'm not sure what the "soft product" deal is, but I can tell you that back in Y, there is no discernible difference between the 3. Maybe for premium classes there is, but I've had some great US F service.

Still, though, I would rank my experience on USX above all 3 for the soft product. Specifically routes operated by YX.

AA has better lounges - the LAX location (not even the Flagship section) is miles above anything US offers anywhere. MCE is a differentiator - better coach hard product. Meals on shorter flights, whereas US has really cut back there.
Better service in F than AA? Really? Really? Are you REALLY going to make that argument?

Cheers,
AA777
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by austin_res
USdbaAA would be the number 1 airline at PHX, DFW, MIA, CLT, and PHL so those hubs should be safe.
Tell that to BOS, SJU, STL, RDU and I suppose to be more inclusive LAS, PIT and probably some others.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WHAT A SPINELESS TOOTHLESS WINDOW-DRESSING DEAL!

From the Fortune article:

In fact, it may be much shorter than three years. The settlement allows the New American to break its promise to maintain service levels at its hubs and cancel those flights to smaller cities if it feels that there has been a material adverse change, "in demand, the competitive environment, or New American's cost to comply." This so-called MAC clause is extremely vague and can be triggered at the sole discretion of management. So say oil prices go above $100 a barrel -- that could possibly be a trigger as it impacts the "cost to comply." Say Southwest starts a new route to Phoenix -- that could constitute a change in the "competitive environment" of the entire hub.
So not only there are no penalties, but there's a built-in automatic out clause for HPdbaAA. You can say bye-bye to some hubs starting in the 2014/2015 timeframe; this merger is the same like AA/TW, DL/NW and CO/UA etc., where promises are lies. Expect PHX and CLT to pretty much go away, and PHL become a shade of its former self. Good job DAs!

And, of course, as discussed before, the agreement to continue service to certain airports is probably total BS as well, as I am sure HPdbaAA is free to substitute 7-daily service on a 738 at $200 average fare with a single, daily flight on an ATR-72 with a $800 (or higher) average fare -- or even reply on the "MAC" clause to renege. Again, great job DAs!

Here are my previous comments, which unfortunately seem spot on.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Also it's unclear as to what are the penalties built-in to the deal. If the only way for the DOJ to enforce the deal is to sue HPdbaAA again, Parker will be free to "work on the margins" with impunity. If the DOJ can impose penalties for not following the deal without a new judgment, then Parker will have a higher incentive to behave. This assume that the DOJ even has enough people to monitor the judgment, which it probably doesn't.
Originally Posted by formeraa
Why would we assume that AA is going to violate the agreement?
Because that's exactly what happened in pretty much every single prior airline merger, absent precise metrics and/or built-in fines. Just ask the folks in Memphis about the value of the "guarantees" they got.

And it would be HPdbaAA doing the violating.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tucsnaz
I think we all knew this would be the case.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/...an-merger-fail
I copy the punch line here:
Forcing the New American to maintain an inefficient route network and keep all its hubs open will be very costly. In addition, the combined airline will have a labor bill that will be at least $500 million more than what it was when the two airlines were separate companies. It will also have to pay at least $1.2 billion in "merger-related costs" over the next three years. The New American is also planning to massively upgrade its fleet, which will see leasing costs jump.

Clearly, this merger is going to cost a lot of money. That means higher fares -- period.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
The deal requires a few more approvals, including a Nov. 25 U.S. Bankruptcy Court hearing, which should pave the way for the deal to close in the first half of December, the CEOs said. Customers will begin seeing the airlines operating as one on Jan. 7, the target date for frequent-flier miles to converge, along with other changes.
[CNBC]

I was a little surprised to see that they were targeting the January 7th date for the freq flyer miles to be all converged. Has there been any details on this - besides speculation?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by AA777
Better service in F than AA? Really? Really? Are you REALLY going to make that argument?

Cheers,
AA777
I said same service in Y. All I said about F service on US is that I've had good service there lately. Haven't flown AA F.

Anyway, what makes you think AA's service is going to drop substantially? Because Doug Parker's in charge? AA's brand and loyalty are built off of not sucking. The FF program is an example - it's entirely geared toward people who actually fly, unlike the others who at the extreme (DL) you can get status without ever being on a plane. I don't think that's going away. There has to be some reason AA is the brand the merged airline is sticking with and not US.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
[CNBC]

I was a little surprised to see that they were targeting the January 7th date for the freq flyer miles to be all converged. Has there been any details on this - besides speculation?
Guessing that means reciprocal crediting of miles, not merging balances or the program. Just being able to credit to US when flying AA and v.v.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by AA777
Read the link. NOT ALL LIE FLATS ARE CREATED EQUAL, NOR IS THE SOFT PRODUCT.

<redacted>

Cheers,
AA777
I read.

Apparently your argument is that if you paint "American Airlines" on the side of the plane, the seat inside it magically gets more comfortable.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 14, 2013 at 3:39 am Reason: Updated quote of redacted post
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Apparently your argument is that if you paint "American Airlines" on the side of the plane, the seat inside it magically gets more comfortable.
The CX-redesigned version of the Cirrus product has been universally judged better than the initial/stock version. AA has the former, US has the latter.

Not all Cirrus seats are the same. Just having a Cirrus seat does not magically make it the best of the series. The mechanism is the same, but the cushioning and amount of privacy (plus other items like lighting, TV screen, etc.) are all different.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, UA
Any speculation on the logo and livery of the merged airline? Sure, that's probably a lower priority item, but it is part of the airline's branding.

Options:
1) Use the new livery AA is rolling out
2) Use the US livery with American as the name: http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...hp?id=00015619
3) Create a new livery
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expect PHX and CLT to pretty much go away, and PHL become a shade of its former self.
I don't understand these comments. They don't reflect a detailed knowledge of the airline industry.

CLT is an EXTREMELY valuable hub. It's perhaps the jewel in the US Airways systems -- at least for a merger partner. What does not seem to be well understood is that there are only 2 viable hubs in the South. ATL and CLT. If you had to own one, you'd prefer ATL, because it is a bigger city and has more corporate travel. That said, CLT is extremely valuable real estate and is considered one of the most profitable airline hubs in the world. It also has some significant advantages over ATL: less competition (LUV has a large presence in ATL thanks to the AirTran purchase) and better geography (look at a map of the Eastern seaboard and see why).

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11793...-anything.html

I would anticipate that CLT will grow larger after the merger. AA can leverage its strength in Latin America to route more traffic through CLT. MIA is a great origin/destination market, but connections north are scarce. You probably will also see more flights west after the merger.

PHX is in a more difficult situation. There's no question that DFW is a better hub for East-West travel. And you have a large Southwest operation at PHX, meaning lots of competition. That said, I would not think that the combined airlines operation at PHX will shrink. It's a great O/D market and will undoubtedly grow over time as Arizona will continue benefit from California's "live-ability" problems. And the geography of PHX isn't bad for serving lots of SoCal destinations (it's not like everybody in SoCal wants to drive to LAX -- an obvious point if you've driven the freeways there). I would also expect the new airline to offer more int'l service.

PHL also isn't going away and is actually likely to grow. PHL is one of the largest transatlantic gateway hubs now, and will only get bigger. You can't route that connecting traffic through JFK and the Philly metro area is large enough to support plenty of traffic. It's also a great fortress hub. Philly will be fine -- and bigger.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by austin_res
Any speculation on the logo and livery of the merged airline? Sure, that's probably a lower priority item, but it is part of the airline's branding.

Options:
1) Use the new livery AA is rolling out
2) Use the US livery with American as the name: http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...hp?id=00015619
3) Create a new livery
I'm more than 90% certain they'll go with the new AA livery. At first, it seemed a little shocking for those of us who've grown up on the traditional AA livery. But, I must admit, it's grown on me over time. There's nothing special about the US livery, unlike CO's great global tail and clean lines. Those mock-up combos you've linked to look silly.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by r415
Given that US has four elite tiers, I can't imagine Parker not adding one to AAdvantage, which will probably the devalue Gold & Platinum status.
A number of OneWorld carriers such as BA, CX, QR, etc. have 3 tiers as well so it very well might be that NewAA will keep the 3 tiers. Also, the NewAA will be keeping the current AAdvantage head-Suzanne Rubin. Lets hope that's a "plus".

Originally Posted by r415
I'm definitely going to start burning my AA miles, and depending on Parker's actions with the FF program and AA fares, may switch my primary airline for the first time in a decade. Regardless of what involved parties may claim, this merger is certainly not good for competition, although it's certainly good for the investment bankers, lawyers, and union leaders.
+1

Originally Posted by Superguy
There is no evidence of brains in the complaint vs the settlement they came up with either.
+1!

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
It hasnt been a secret for any airline that NYC has been a wasteland for profitability for a long time.

Dont be quick to judge an airline by not being the number one carrier in NYC. I'd much rather be the number one carrier (and grow) at their fortress hubs in PHL, CLT, MIA, DFW than try to fight it out in a place like NYC where AA will never be able to be that fortress carrier.

Armchair CEOs spend way too much time thinking NYC is a panacea...
So I guess DL, who's profits and expansion in the NYC-metro has improved noticably hire "Armchair CEO's" as well?

Originally Posted by Majuki
I'd say that US's hard and soft products to Asia are both terrible. (And I complained about too much snark on this forum.
Does US even fly to Asia?

I copy the punch line here:
+1. I've been stating all along the "lollipops" Parker & Co. have offered the various unions is nothing more than that.."lollipops". Costs are going to increase big time and I don't see where the "revenue synergies" (besides firing people) are going to come from.

Don't forget, US has a nice huge bond payment of >$1 billion coming up in 2014. Guess where that's coming from?

This is the b.s. from the APA:

". "Merging with US Airways will remedy American Airlines' longstanding network shortfalls and put American on equal footing with Delta and United. With the merger, American will offer travelers a viable alternative to Delta and United.

"Today marks the culmination of an aggressive and unconventional strategy APA began pursuing early last year. Our primary goals were to help ensure American would survive and thrive, thereby ensuring long-term career stability for our pilots. This merger will accomplish both goals.

"With the DOJ settlement, American now has the opportunity to return to a position of industry preeminence. We look forward to working with our colleagues at the US Airline Pilots Association as we shift our focus to negotiating a joint collective bargaining agreement.""

https://public.alliedpilots.org/apa/...nd-Thrive.aspx

As if this will "pan out" in a few years.....MUAHAHAHAHA!!

Like I said, I cannot wait to see the unions (especially the APA and APFA) start "crying foul" and "we can't deal with Parker-he's got to go" rants
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx
CLT is an EXTREMELY valuable hub. It's perhaps the jewel in the US Airways systems -- at least for a merger partner. What does not seem to be well understood is that there are only 2 viable hubs in the South. ATL and CLT.
While I'm not saying CLT is doomed (especially given the scope of concessions new AA made at DCA), CLT does have a lot in common with AA's former hub at RDU. 2.3 million locals vs 2.0 million, same geographic area, less corporate contracts...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
But nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to connect through NYC for a domestic.
While I agree that domestic connection in NYC are not ideal due to the already high traffic, Jetblue built itself up from nonexistent to a power LCC player via (originally) a sole, domestic-only hub at JFK. (Obviously, they have branched out a bunch since then)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.