Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton Honors
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I had read some of the threads already but will do so again with more detail.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk, joedev.

Highly discounted fares (G, Q, N, O & S) = 5,926 points, not sufficient for a Challenge
Discounted fares (H, K, M, L, W & V) = 11,852 points, sufficient
Full (Y and B) coach fares = 17,778 points (also for Business / First)
Is that the "booking code"? Then I'm in trouble...because logging into the held booking it says "Booking Code : N".

Gonna try to figure out if that's what was meant by "call Web Services, upfare to a fare than offers 1.0 point per mile if you need to do so, and then complete the purchase on aa.com" ??

And need to find out what this Web Services is...

And sometimes one can find discounted "I" Business fares for not much more than some coach fares.
That sounds great! Wonder how I can do that...

So much to learn...

Oh SCRATCH. Was so busy today I forgot to call about starting the challenge and they're closed now. Can I book my flight before starting the challenge?

P.S. Like I said, will re-read the links again, so hopefully I can answer my own questions shortly.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Economy award for CX not available at AA

Trying to book CX 889 from YVR to HKG for oct 27, the economy award shows available on cathay pacific website, but when i call AA they say its unavailable. Am i missing something...?? Also if i book an awardthru AA for say cathay pacific flight departing later on the same day, can i change the flight on the cathay pacific website..? Thanks......
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:21 pm

I am just starting my Executive Platinum challenge. I need 25k EQP (points, not miles).

Does anyone know some good BOS originating routes? I know BOS-MIA-SJU is $657 RT in F/J class which gets me 1.5 points per mile.

There has to be similar routes that are cheap in F/J yet give a little more distance?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by standingoten
I am just starting my Executive Platinum challenge. I need 25k EQP (points, not miles).

Does anyone know some good BOS originating routes? I know BOS-MIA-SJU is $657 RT in F/J class which gets me 1.5 points per mile.

There has to be similar routes that are cheap in F/J yet give a little more distance?
There is some good pricing going on now for BOS-DFW-ANC, not sure if it extends to premium cabins though. Either way, it's quite a few miles, approximately twice as many as the route you have picked out.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:05 am

Update:
It took quite some work, but I got the code switched to V, dealt with aa.com not willing to book it at Class V, speaking to a wonderful customer support lady who took care of all of it. Thank you for this forum and specifically to those who helped me.

Tomorrow I'll officially sign up for the challenge.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum
I live in Japan and am taking a positioning ferry to Pusan, Korea for a PUS-NRT-ORD R/T I'm taking next week. On my way back my bags will be loaded to the max and I'll have carry on that while it meets TSA regulation I don't know if it will be acceptable to Japanese screeners (hand weights).

I have about 2 hours in Tokyo and am considering trying to collect my baggage at Narita and hand it over to one of the domestic baggage delivery services before my last leg to Seoul. My NRT-ORD flights are AA and my PUS-NRT legs are JAL, any chance when I leave the US I can have my bags only checked through to NRT? Since my flights are operated by two different airlines any chance I could collect my bags AND skip my last leg without any ramifications (trying to get AA platinum on this R/T).

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by joedev
Update:
It took quite some work, but I got the code switched to V, dealt with aa.com not willing to book it at Class V, speaking to a wonderful customer support lady who took care of all of it. Thank you for this forum and specifically to those who helped me.

Tomorrow I'll officially sign up for the challenge.
Can you elaborate a little more on this please?
Was your booking code originally "N" for your flights but then you just called them and had them change it to "V" to get 1.0 point per mile?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: aa
Hello guys,

i'm a newbie,

let me explain my situation,

on my AA account i have: 6,306 miles

on a friend account that he wants to transfer me he has 7662 miles, from what i saw in the website, the cost of transfering 7000 miles is 120 usd, + 35 of the transaction fee they charge.

so on total i will have 13.300 miles,

I want to book an award ticket, which is a rt bcn-jfk departing on oct 15 and returning oct 19, it's just 20 k miles.

so i will be 7000 miles short, from what i saw in the airline i can buy this 7000 miles for $192,50 USD + 35 usd of the transaction fee they charge.

so to get the 20k for this award ticket would be a total of 382,5 usd.

my question is this one, will they charge me anything else to book this award ticket? because i couldn't understand if there was any more fees to book this award ticket or if they were still going to charge me taxes, I also would like to ask if this is different if the award ticket is operated by ba or ab

thank you so much for advance!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by franzpalleres
Hello guys,

i'm a newbie,

let me explain my situation,

on my AA account i have: 6,306 miles

on a friend account that he wants to transfer me he has 7662 miles, from what i saw in the website, the cost of transfering 7000 miles is 120 usd, + 35 of the transaction fee they charge.

so on total i will have 13.300 miles,

I want to book an award ticket, which is a rt bcn-jfk departing on oct 15 and returning oct 19, it's just 20 k miles.

so i will be 7000 miles short, from what i saw in the airline i can buy this 7000 miles for $192,50 USD + 35 usd of the transaction fee they charge.

so to get the 20k for this award ticket would be a total of 382,5 usd.

my question is this one, will they charge me anything else to book this award ticket? because i couldn't understand if there was any more fees to book this award ticket or if they were still going to charge me taxes, I also would like to ask if this is different if the award ticket is operated by ba or ab

thank you so much for advance!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Unfortunately, the off peak award from North America to Europe is 20K each way, not roundtrip. Roundtrip would cost 40K.

As far as fees, the easiest way to check is to go to aa.com and start the booking. Once you select flights, the total in taxes and fees will be shown.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by standingoten
Was your booking code originally "N" for your flights but then you just called them and had them change it to "V" to get 1.0 point per mile?
Yes, you can put a reservation on hold, call AA Reservations, and then have them change it to whatever fare you want (assuming availability).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: aa
ok thank you, i didnt know that it was for each way!

is there any way to calculate the fees and taxes, since i want to know if its worth it, before buying the miles and transfer the ones, do you know what i mean?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:23 am

Question Using BA miles on AA?

How do I use British Air miles on American? I'm flying this Sept. and probably on BA but have many more miles on American. Can these miles be combined or do the BA miles need to stay in BA?

Can I just tell BA to put the miles on my American account? Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:16 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryDarc
How do I use British Air miles on American? I'm flying this Sept. and probably on BA but have many more miles on American. Can these miles be combined or do the BA miles need to stay in BA?

Can I just tell BA to put the miles on my American account? Thanks.
It is not possible to directly combine your BA Avios Account with your AAdvantage Account. You can redeem your Avios points for AA operated flights, among many other partner airlines. Contact BA or BA.com to redeem.

Additionally you can redeem your AAdvantage miles for BA operated flights, among many other partners. Contact AA or aa.com to redeem.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:34 am

Correct, that's what I did.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes, you can put a reservation on hold, call AA Reservations, and then have them change it to whatever fare you want (assuming availability).
Is availability the only restriction? I want to do some BOS-ANC runs and would love to get 1.0 points per mile!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.