Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 10:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mjrodge
is it possible to use an eVIP on top of a free 500 mile upgrade when traveling 3 class domestic getting me from paid economy to 1st class?
No, it is not. in general. Has it happened to someone? Sure. But it is, by rule, not allowed.

Cheers.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:14 pm

hi i am traveling first in CX LAX onwards, can i use the flagship lounge and is there a secured way from the lounge to TBIT or do i have to rescreen.

thxs for the replies in advance
Old May 9, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by kburges
hi i am traveling first in CX LAX onwards, can i use the flagship lounge and is there a secured way from the lounge to TBIT or do i have to rescreen.

thxs for the replies in advance
Assuming your onward journey is on AA, yes, you can use FL, not sure about its location / rescreen requirement. In general, you can expect to be rescreened since yyou would be doing customs / immigration and at "most" US airports I have been to, I have to get out and change terminal (especially if I am flying from a partner airline which is non-US airline to a US airline).

Cheers!
Old May 9, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Assuming your onward journey is on AA, yes, you can use FL, not sure about its location / rescreen requirement. In general, you can expect to be rescreened since yyou would be doing customs / immigration and at "most" US airports I have been to, I have to get out and change terminal (especially if I am flying from a partner airline which is non-US airline to a US airline).

Cheers!
sorry for the mix up i am going outbound from LAX, ie HKG-BKK.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I am not sure where this question is best suited for, so I figure I will try in here first. I need to meet two people in DFW at the AC in about a month. My dilemma is that I only have an AMEX PLT, so I cannot access the club w/o a BP.

Can I buy an award ticket and then cancel it?
If so how far in advance do I need to cancel it?
U could try booking the conference room at the club and ask for guest pass at desk, they will check if the room has been booked, as for cost i dont kow if there is one, works in iah with united clubs.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Gold Passport
Flying F JFK -> LHR. If my checked suitcase clocks in around 60 lbs (it shouldn't), will I be assessed a fee? Or are overweight fees waved for F? Aanytime ticket.

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by aj23
Flying F JFK -> LHR. If my checked suitcase clocks in around 60 lbs (it shouldn't), will I be assessed a fee? Or are overweight fees waved for F? Aanytime ticket.

Thanks.
Check the allowance for F (not sure if AA allows more for F like other airlines). If the allowance if 50 LBS, then expect to pay up. I have been at the receiving end of it when flying J/C/D when two bags of 50 LBS were allowed, but I was carrying just one of 52 LBS and had to pay $25.

Cheers!

Last edited by fromfall98; May 10, 2013 at 10:43 am
Old May 9, 2013, 10:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Thanks.
If you're flying F, you have a 3 bag allowance with a weight of up to 70lbs / 32kgs in each bag and total dimensions 62 linear inches / 157 linear centimeters no charge. So you'll be fine.

Edit to add: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom...es_charges.jsp

You can verify in the table above...not the easiest to read, but if you go down to the "overweight baggage" section, you'll see that business/first gets fees waived for bags up to 70 lbs.

Last edited by JY1024; May 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm Reason: edit to add
Old May 10, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: SPG, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Gold Passport
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Check the allowance for F (not sure if AA allows more for F like other airlines). If the allowance if 50 LBS, then expect to pay up. I have been at the receiving end of it when flying J/C/D when two bags of 50 LBS were allowed, but I was carrying just one of 0 LBS and had to pay $25.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by JY1024
If you're flying F, you have a 3 bag allowance with a weight of up to 70lbs / 32kgs in each bag and total dimensions 62 linear inches / 157 linear centimeters no charge. So you'll be fine.

Edit to add: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom...es_charges.jsp

You can verify in the table above...not the easiest to read, but if you go down to the "overweight baggage" section, you'll see that business/first gets fees waived for bags up to 70 lbs.
Thanks for the help!

Yes - that AA webpage is headache inducing.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
You get 3 bags upto 70 pounds each.

4 bags if you're an AA Elite.
Old May 10, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Family of 4, traveling 11/23 IAH-JFK-CDG on SAAver economy award tickets. I would like to upgrade just one of those if a business SAAver seat comes available, only on the JFK-CDG leg. Can I do this for the 30K miles difference, and what fees will I have? We have no status. I am guessing this will have to be done over the phone. TIA
Old May 10, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Family of 4, traveling 11/23 IAH-JFK-CDG on SAAver economy award tickets. I would like to upgrade just one of those if a business SAAver seat comes available, only on the JFK-CDG leg. Can I do this for the 30K miles difference, and what fees will I have? We have no status. I am guessing this will have to be done over the phone. TIA
Yes, you can do that if a U seat opens up on the JFK-CDG segment. AA typically waives the change fee for upgrading an award, and I can't think of any fees other than that.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:16 pm

I have close to 90,000 AA miles but my last activity was on March 2012 do these expire and if so whats the easiest way to make them not expire. Is there anywhere I can get a few AA miles for free instead of paying 30$ for 1k ?
Thanks

alex
Old May 10, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Alex Poulos
I have close to 90,000 AA miles but my last activity was on March 2012 do these expire and if so whats the easiest way to make them not expire. Is there anywhere I can get a few AA miles for free instead of paying 30$ for 1k ?
Thanks

alex
Yes, they will expire if there is no activity in next 4 months. You could rent a car or get a hotel room for a day and that would add some miles to your account.

Cheers!
Old May 10, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Alex Poulos
Thanks

alex
Sign up for AA dining program, link any credit card to it, and buy something at a participating restaurant. $1 will get you 2 or 3 miles and 18 months, $35 will get you 1000 miles and 18 months.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...tageDining.jsp
Or buy anything through https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...eeShopping.jsp

Keep in mind these third-party offers can take time to post, so don't wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.