Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by singleStep
I'll be flying into LHR T3 on AA. I'm an EXP, flying Business Class; does my colleague (traveling coach on the same flight) get to use the arrivals lounge as my guest?

Thanks,
-SS
Nope. This is not a guest situation, nor does your status matter. Only folks in a premium cabin can access.

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: One World Emerald/AA Executive Platinum/Qantas Gold/United Premier Gold/most USA airlines
How to find seat availability

I know I can find seat availability while I am booking a flight on AA, but is there no way to do it AFTER making a reservation? I can do this on UA, and suspect there must be a way on AA, but only two ways I know is to start a bogus new reservation...or call AAdvantage.

Am I just dense?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
How Long to Issue Ticket?

I made a simple one-segment booking on aa.com for travel on American tomorrow. I'm an EXP with an active profile on the website.

That booking was made almost an hour ago, and no ticket receipt has shown up in my e-mail. Nor can I check in yet for the flight, which is less than 12 hours from now.

How long does it normally take American to ticket this type of itinerary?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by miamigrad
May I ask - which country's website did you use? The U.S. and Canadian version (AA.com) allow up to 6 flight segments in the multi-city search function (other countries might also, I'm not familiar with them, however).

I just put your itinerary in now and had no problems getting a fare quote.
Oh I see... I used the German one. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that once more.

In any case from what I could see, making 2 people in Y and 1 in C brings it to 6500 EUR in total because the C ticket is quite expensive on the cheapest Y fares whereas if we all travel in C, it'll be 7500 EUR so I guess I'll try to push it to C for everyone, though the partner might not be happy about it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explore
I made a simple one-segment booking on aa.com for travel on American tomorrow. I'm an EXP with an active profile on the website.

That booking was made almost an hour ago, and no ticket receipt has shown up in my e-mail. Nor can I check in yet for the flight, which is less than 12 hours from now.

How long does it normally take American to ticket this type of itinerary?
Call to make sure it gets ticketed. Otherwise, you run the risk of it not getting ticketed in time.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Call to make sure it gets ticketed. Otherwise, you run the risk of it not getting ticketed in time.
Thanks. I called the EXP desk, which confirmed it hadn't been ticketed 2 hours following the online purchase. They also said not to worry: "it will certainly be ticketed long before the departure time." In other words, they didn't do anything to speed up the standard s-l-o-w process.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:54 am

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Visa AND Amex card holder.

If I use my credit card to book flights for my family members (all on the same reservation) even though I (the card holder) will not be flying (they are coming to see me), will my family members be able to take advantage of the free baggage/priority boarding benefits?

How do they check? Has anyone tried this? I've never been asked to show my Citi card whenever I book flights/board flights personally. My boarding passes always say priority boarding. Do they go by the AAdvantage number? I don't fly a lot even though I have these cards (been getting the fee waived past 2 years).

My guess is that this is NOT possible as I believe it requires the primary card holder to be flying on the same reservation...but just wondering how their system works in checks/balances.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by brp
Nope. This is not a guest situation, nor does your status matter. Only folks in a premium cabin can access.

Cheers.
I believe Emerald traveling Coach also has access?

-SS
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:38 am

Question about Points and Miles Upgrade

Hello,
I am flying from CDG to DFW tomorrow. I booked my reservation back in November (in coach) and requested Points and Miles upgrade to business at that time. I am AA Gold. To date, no upgrade, though I see J2 inventory on EF. Does AA release that inventory for upgrades at any specific time? Should I go ahead and check-in online? Is there a way to continue to request an upgrade by doing so and does that help my chance on the upgrade list? Is there anyway to see where I am on the upgrade list?

Any information you can give me would be helpful...
Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by alexisintexas
Hello,
I am flying from CDG to DFW tomorrow. I booked my reservation back in November (in coach) and requested Points and Miles upgrade to business at that time. I am AA Gold. To date, no upgrade, though I see J2 inventory on EF. Does AA release that inventory for upgrades at any specific time? Should I go ahead and check-in online? Is there a way to continue to request an upgrade by doing so and does that help my chance on the upgrade list? Is there anyway to see where I am on the upgrade list?

Any information you can give me would be helpful...
Thanks!
Yes, check in as early as possible. I believe check in time matters for miles+copay upgrades (at least it does for SWU). You'll be asked if you want to be put on the airport upgrade list (yes) if you haven't cleared by then. You can ask an airport agent where you are on the upgrade list, or see it at the gate. J2 doesn't look too great. How many seats open on the seat map?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes, check in as early as possible. I believe check in time matters for miles+copay upgrades (at least it does for SWU). You'll be asked if you want to be put on the airport upgrade list (yes) if you haven't cleared by then. You can ask an airport agent where you are on the upgrade list, or see it at the gate. J2 doesn't look too great. How many seats open on the seat map?
3 are available on AA.com under assigned seats and 2 via ExpertFlyer (which I know ususally trumps as far as the actual number available). One week ago there were 10 seats available so my only hope is that all of the EXP and PLAT upgrades have already cleared and all that is left is the GOLD. Oh, well, it is what it is and I have done all I can do. Now it's just fingers crossed. Thanks for your information!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:01 pm

I cannot find the mileage calculator for my 9/2013 trip. CLE to ORD (Y class) to FCO (I class) so that I can figure the EQM/EQP's associated with this trip. I am Gold now, was PLT last year but this is difficult to absorb. thanks
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by singleStep
I believe Emerald traveling Coach also has access?

-SS
You are correct. This is a somewhat recent change (used to be cabin only) and this is the second time I've made this mistake in the past few weeks. Thanks for the correction. (But still no guests )

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Flying Advantage miles to Europe without going through Heathrow

Thanks for the welcome to newbies like me Randy. It can be kind of intimidating. My wife and I have 165,000 miles between us and we are trying to use them to fly to Europe. However, all flights to Europe with FF miles seem to go through Heathrow and cost for fuel surcharge and fees about 33% of what a ticket in ecomomy would cost to buy! We want to go late summer or early fall to Scandanavia. Any way to fly to Europe and get over the pond without going through Heathrow? Or a way to avoid outrageous fees and surcharges?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by partortoch
Thanks for the welcome to newbies like me Randy. It can be kind of intimidating. My wife and I have 165,000 miles between us and we are trying to use them to fly to Europe. However, all flights to Europe with FF miles seem to go through Heathrow and cost for fuel surcharge and fees about 33% of what a ticket in ecomomy would cost to buy! We want to go late summer or early fall to Scandanavia. Any way to fly to Europe and get over the pond without going through Heathrow? Or a way to avoid outrageous fees and surcharges?
The most significant surcharge you are encountering is the fuel surcharge incurred by using BA metal on the TATL leg, not necessarily going through LHR. Try to find flights on AA metal, or perhaps AY (for which inventory cannot be searched on aa.com, so you would have to call).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.