Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two class bag allowance question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrL
For (2) I did refer to those rules. AA said that they only apply when the operating carrier is different on the outbound and return. They think they can change the allowance between out and return if the class of service changes but the carrier doesn't.
Originally Posted by ChrL
For (2) I did refer to those rules. AA said that they only apply when the operating carrier is different on the outbound and return. They think they can change the allowance between out and return if the class of service changes but the carrier doesn't.
That's not the way I read the text 399.87, which is a blanket rule without any carveouts; what's your thought? (see http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2010-0140-2051)

Furthermore, under "regulation summary" the DOT says it
Requires that the same baggage allowances and fees apply throughout a passenger’s journey.
If you also read it the same way I do (i.e. the allowance must be the same throughout the journey), I'd seek clarification through the DOT by complaining that AA is not applying 399.87 and providing proof: http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/air-t...t-comment-form

Those submissions get handled at AA from people in the know, since the responses get vetted by the DOT, vs those sent directly to AA, who get handled by people who are paid to be fast with auto-responders and not for their knowledge or accuracy.

I would request that you kindly seek DOT clarification no matter what so we know for the future.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
But, how would AA be responsible if it isn't the carrier handling the check in of baggage on the return?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:49 pm

Has anyone tried this with certainty? I just upgraded my no-status family friend but she's originating in LSE, so LSE-ORD will be on an ERD with no F. Does she get bags for free or will AA charge her for a bag even though ORD-SFO/SFO-ORD is in F?

I know on the return it should be fine since she's starting in F.

<rant>Also, it's annoying that non-status on an EVIP upgrade can't get premium seats on a 1-cabin aircraft</rant>
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:42 pm
Suspended

The baggage allowance is stated on their ticket.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The baggage allowance is stated on their ticket.
Where exactly is it on an e-ticket? Nowhere in the e-mail that I see?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:45 pm
Suspended

US law requires it to be stated on the ticket.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by djibouti
Where exactly is it on an e-ticket? Nowhere in the e-mail that I see?
Are you sure? It should say something like the following:

Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -SJCLAX-02 Pieces/ American Airlines /UP TO 70 LB/32 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-SJCLAX-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 70 LB/32 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-SJCLAX-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 70 LB/32 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.