Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Very exciting to see these offers.

I can say confidently this is how the program is looking to encourage those who spend. I found myself on a number of last minute fares (defined as 2x or 3x the lowest cheap coach fare) last year that from a mileage persective are ho hum (same value as those cheaper fares).

I don't think anyone is surprised that this is how they are doing it, but for last minute situations, I have a number of options of airlines. They had to give the upgrade coupons because other airlines are doing it at no extra charge (space available of course).

They may not have value today because of AA selling FC as often as possible and the gripes about the swelling premiums ranks, but they also never expire (so far).

Rasheed
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by millions
My wife just received this for Platinum. Along with twenty 500 milers. I can't say I'm optimistic about how this will affect upgrade success rates.
Whelp - there go my upgrade chances for the year. I always have to book last minute and rarely have connections.

Last edited by jmanirish; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:57 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Gold
I got the Platinum status and 20 upgrades offer. Too bad most of my travel is in the late summer and fall. One Mexico trip in April planned, guess I'll be looking for a mileage run, seems pretty worth it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 am

W/ or W/out Multiplier

Can I accumulate with the 100% multiplier? Or does it need to be accumulated without the multiplier in place?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Even though all the news indicates a deal with US Air is very near, I still wonder if these types of offers aren't meant to boost top line revenue as much as possible for the next quarter. I'll definitely be doing some mileage runs here in next few months.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by cruising600
Can I accumulate with the 100% multiplier? Or does it need to be accumulated without the multiplier in place?
You have to accumulate from a base perspective (without bonus miles). I believe this is why they offer the points option, if you purchase expensive fares that have a 1.5 points qualifier, you will get to the requirement faster (but then, you have to balance that with those .5 points fares).

Rasheed
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I entered the PLT code HVPPA (from a previous post) for my wife, who is GOLD, even though she didn't receive the e-mail offer. The code was accepted (not rejected). She has a flight next week. Will it count for the PLT offer?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by srk123
I entered the PLT code HVPPA (from a previous post) for my wife, who is GOLD, even though she didn't receive the e-mail offer. The code was accepted (not rejected). She has a flight next week. Will it count for the PLT offer?
I just entered it with no status and didn't get rejected. I wouldn't hold my breath
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by srk123
None of her flights will count for the offer unless she was targeted. AA has gotten much better at restricting these promotions to the people who were actually targeted. Unfortunately that happens behind the scenes rather than having the site reject the code outright.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Originally Posted by _kurt
None of her flights will count for the offer unless she was targeted. AA has gotten much better at restricting these promotions to the people who were actually targeted. Unfortunately that happens behind the scenes rather than having the site reject the code outright.
I am sure that won't stop the complaining though...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
So 2 friends of mine who arent even GLD got the free PLAT trial and 20 upgrades today. If they got it, that means hundreds of thousands of other people probably got it too. So does this mean regular GLD and PLAT members are going to have a much harder time getting upgrades since there is a surplus of PLAT freeloaders now in the system? WTH??
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Not only that... also THIS?
This seems like a slap in the face.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, United, Continental
Originally Posted by freak_wentflying
So 2 friends of mine who arent even GLD got the free PLAT trial and 20 upgrades today. If they got it, that means hundreds of thousands of other people probably got it too. So does this mean regular GLD and PLAT members are going to have a much harder time getting upgrades since there is a surplus of PLAT freeloaders now in the system? WTH??
If they were not even gold to begin with, the likelihood that they will meet the requirements to keep Plat and use those upgrades is slim.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Pseudonym
Even though all the news indicates a deal with US Air is very near, I still wonder if these types of offers aren't meant to boost top line revenue as much as possible for the next quarter. I'll definitely be doing some mileage runs here in next few months.
AMR's financial position and performance are already FAR SUPERIOR to LCC, hard to believe this is related.

More likely an effort - consistent with extending EXP status to UA 1k's, DL DM's - to attract, keep higher spending business travelers.

Great way for AMR to differentiate itself, build loyalty.

As many others have pointed out, the downside is reduced upgrade opportunities - particularly GLDs and PLTs - which is becoming an issue for EXPs as AA selectively lowers the price of J and B seats.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by freak_wentflying
Not only that... also THIS?
This seems like a slap in the face.

Indeed. I wish AA would at least give me a chance for EXP. Man, I'm so pissed. I'm just going to avoid thinking of it.
lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.