Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaking into 3-class Int'l F???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
This happens a lot, probably once every three flights. At the last minute someone booked 2A but decided to sneak back to Y just for the hell of it. Since the counts matched up and your friend didn't correct the FA when they called him by the wrong name, no one picked up on it. What amazes me is that your friend bothered to tell you a story about something so unremarkable and that happens so often.
Internationally? Who on earth would sneak through J to Y for a longhaul flight?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
He's either a thief of liar... Ignore him
My guess is it was a lie. FAs check.
Even an lazy FA would check. After all, if it's an extra person that doesn't belong, it means extra work for the lazy FA. Plus, having the count over by 1 in F and under by one in another cabin, would be a sign of a problem.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
No, no one would. The OPs friend is full of it. Please excuse my saturday night satire.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
I've been on at least three flights that required a FA to manually verify every F passenger because the count was off. In each case, the culprit was identified and made the walk of shame back his Y seat.
Remarkable. I've never seen this. The only difference between your flights and mine that I can see is that your flights had you on them, and mine had me on them. Things that make you go "Hmmmm..."
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:26 am

Last week on nrt-ord flight, my name was not on the manifest and I was on C. The flight attendant asked to see my boarding pass (which was issued by jAL as my first segment was on jAL. She later apologized and said one other girl was also not on their manifest but I didn't ask what cabin she was in. I got my miles so I was scanned and in the system.

She said she has seen people not in the manifest but was surprised they had 2 out of NRT as they are usually very good coming out of there.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:34 am

Don't the FAs also do a DNA test prior to lending you the diamond encrusted BOSE headsets?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Aside from being a braggart, exaggerator, and a limit-pusher.... He ... often brags about his ever-growing insight on working the system....
Nothing more need be said. This thread is a waste of bandwidth.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
This happens a lot, probably once every three flights. At the last minute someone booked 2A but decided to sneak back to Y just for the hell of it. Since the counts matched up and your friend didn't correct the FA when they called him by the wrong name, no one picked up on it. What amazes me is that your friend bothered to tell you a story about something so unremarkable and that happens so often.
No, no one would. The OPs friend is full of it. Please excuse my saturday night satire.
While I recognize the intended humor, I can imagine a scenario where a couple are traveling, one has the ability to book F on the company dime, the other booked J on their own dime and the one in F went and sat with said spouse. If they spoke to one FA and the OP another then I could see it. All very low probability, though.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by aero0729
If I were AA I would treat this as a theft/criminal situation. Imagine FA finds out half way through the flight at meal time that you are in an F seat when you were ticketed in Y. F/A sends you back to Y without incident then upon arrival authorities are there to question/make arrest. That is a $7,000.00+ seat that you did not pay for or have rights to and you knowingly took it, I personally think it stealing? Anyone else agree?

Still...big time BS. NEVER have I seen no usage of names or the manifest in International F. Also, cabin could be empty at time seat is taken but employees get F seats on Int'l flights if they are flying for leisure so in many cases the cabin still fills up.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No. I would consider it obtaining services by deception
While AA may ultimately prevail I think it may have a tougher time making its case under the scenario described. The self-upgrader would likely have said "I got confused and thought they'd upgraded me, I'm EXP after all" and if they FA never asked him to go back to his assigned seat initially, and he complied when finally asked, it may be hard to prove he did this intentionally. Notice I said "prove" as opposed to "know". The knowing factor would be easy, IMO .
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by All American Flyer
I tend to take people at their word (I mean seriously what does he have to gain from this story). Plenty of FAs just assume if you're sitting in a seat in F then you're supposed to be there...does this work normally? Probably not...but if you're friend was super suave about it then I can see it happening
Last year I flew ORD-MIA in F on a 3-class a/c. A lady asked me to switch seat so she could sit with her husband. So I did, and changed from 1A to 1G (can not remember exact seat number but you get the idea from the first row window seat to aisle seat in another aisle)

Before departure I was asked by a F.A. where is my origional seat (well I am not going into the route of racial bs...). But certainly they check who is sitting in F.

It is easy to sneak from F to Y. Nobody would bother. But sneak from Y to F...Possible after the cabin is dark after departure but soon you would be found out and chase back to your origional seats.

I would believe a story of someone got friend with a FA and joined mile high club and subsequently moved to F seats for a short period. But no way I am going to beliebe the sit in F in boarding till deboarding.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Don't believe it for a moment.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was on a lightly loaded 777 DFW-MAD in late July 2012 in J. A woman sat down in the seat next to mine and then moved to another empty seat. She was offered a PDB but shortly after that a FA was greeting passengers in J by name. Shortly thereafter she was sent off to her correct seat in Y.

They do check...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
This won't work, I'm not buying it.

I've seen NRSAs get moved to F/J from Y presumably because they are too cheap/unable to afford the nominal services charges and taxes and of course obtain submit a description of the passengers and associated FAs and flight/seat numbers to AA.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
prior to NGBC J, I've seen about half of the J cabin take empty rows of 5 seats in Y to get some horizontal sleep on LAX-LHR. And no, the FA's wouldn't let those of us in the AB/HJ seats take the empty J seats
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
I would believe a story of someone got friend with a FA and joined mile high club and subsequently moved to F seats for a short period. But no way I am going to beliebe the sit in F in boarding till deboarding.
^, back in the days of Braniff. Oh I miss those days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.