Sneaking into 3-class Int'l F???

Old Jan 26, 13, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Sneaking into 3-class Int'l F???

Ok, so I need a bit of clarification from the more experienced FlyerTalkers here...

Aside from being a braggart, exaggerator, and a limit-pusher, one of my roommates is also an EXP on AA. He flies quite a bit, and often brags about his ever-growing insight on working the system. Most of the stuff he brags about is plausible, but he brought something up to me that's little more than dubious: he claims that he sneaked into 3-class F on an ORD-LHR flight.

How does he claim he did it? He was originally upgraded on a flight from MSY to ORD to seat 2A, and he retained his boarding pass after deplaning. He was booked into a Y seat on his ORD-LHR flight, so he had a Y boarding pass for that flight. Upon boarding the ORD-LHR flight using his Y boarding pass, he claims that he pulled the old MSY-ORD F boarding pass for F seat 2A out of his pocket and showed it to the FAs at the door to the 777. He claims that the FAs directed him to the mostly empty F cabin, where he sat in unoccupied seat 2A; he even says that he checked the seatmap several times before the LHR departure to ensure that seat 2A remained unoccupied. He says that the flight went on without a hitch and that he received F service the entire time without question...

I'm calling him on this one. After all, there are too many things (the big one being the manifest) that would prohibit him from doing this. Anyone out there find this plausible? Anyone ever heard of/witnessed this before?
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't believe it...IMHO there are too many places when the FA or Pursor would discover him. When I flew in F from LAX to LHR in September, my boarding pass was checked as I boarded the plane, and shortly thereafter the Pursor came over with manifest in hand to greet me and introduce herself...not buying it....
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850 View Post
... Pursor came over with manifest in hand to greet me and introduce herself...not buying it....
That's exactly what I thought. There are way too many checks in balances in place to keep this from happening. I'm sure AA won't let someone just plop down in a very expensive F seat on a TATL flight for free...

But still, nothing would surprise me with him.
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:38 pm

Yeah i can't see AA being ok with someone sitting in an F seat that isn't on their manifest.
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:39 pm

Sounds plausible to me. Total headcount adds up, good to go. If your friend wasn't being obnoxious or looking out of place, why would they think twice about it?

If you're talking about the new security dictum that pax must not change cabins--I believe that's only for flights into the USA, but maybe AA would have to do it anyway as an American carrier. Besides, there's no security value in that--maybe the crew knew that too
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:40 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BS.

The FAs do a head count in each cabin and match that with the paperwork. An extra person in F will not o un-noticed.
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:43 pm
Suspended

It seems v unlikely to me. The manifest will indicate the number of passengers and seats occupied in the cabin. With an extra passenger there, I would expect that they would soon determine who was not supposed to be there
Old Jan 26, 13, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would agree it is highly unlikely ....but remotely possible if there was a sloppy and lazy purser on the flight that didn't check the manifest and greet customers by name.

I was just on a domestic flight in the last 10 days and a Y passenger occupied one of the F seats. The F cabin was not full. Prior to shutting the cabin door the FA was doing a passenger count of the F cabin and it wasn't coming out right. The GA intervened and they quickly identified the offender and sent him back to Y. Most times they will catch you but occasionally people do get away with it.
Old Jan 26, 13, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
BS.

The FAs do a head count in each cabin and match that with the paperwork. An extra person in F will not o un-noticed.
Not to mention a pax who was checked in, in the Y cabin, doesn't show up. Y cabin count is now thrown off too.

Anything could theoretically happen, but it's not at all plausible.
Old Jan 26, 13, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by JNB280 View Post
Anything could theoretically happen, but it's not at all plausible.
Everything not prohibited is mandatory ... but I don't think he pulled this one off at all.
Old Jan 26, 13, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
When I set down they call me by my nick name, and it is not on the ticket or the bording pass... they also bring my bloody mary.

Not going to happen...
Old Jan 26, 13, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
My initial thought is that your instinct is correct, the story is BS. As you state, there are many holes in it. If nothing else they should have known when they went to greet him at meal time. I've always been greeted by name in F on the LHR flights.
Old Jan 26, 13, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
When I set down they call me by my nick name, and it is not on the ticket or the bording pass... they also bring my bloody mary.

Not going to happen...
Nice ... I have noticed that pronunciation of my last name has been surprisingly correct and consistent; which hasn't been something I've experienced much of my life. I couldn't imagine some profile with a phonetic version, but hey, it would be a good marketing schtick.

Oh ... and I don't buy the story either
Old Jan 26, 13, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sellouts View Post
Yeah i can't see AA being ok with someone sitting in an F seat that isn't on their manifest.
Absolutely no way that this happened. The manifest tells it all. I've been personally greeted on LAX -> IAD flights in F, as well as a few ORD -> LHR flights in J. If he wasn't on the manifest, they'd have figured it out.
Old Jan 26, 13, 5:59 pm

It is possible, but very unlikely. FAs have a manifest showing all of the names and cabins.

Given the way you describe your friend, I think the probability is much higher that your friend is lying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: