Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-LAX-KOA or DFW-HNL-KOA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew
I was able to get 4 J tickets from OMA-DFW-HNL for 37.5 but was told it would cost 5k more for HNL-KOA so we decided to do 2 nights in Honolulu and spend $68 for one way's on Hawaiian. Due of course to the scarcity of J inventory I had to put 2 of us on the 11 am and 2 on the 1 pm out of DFW. So I called Hawaiian to ask about luggage waiver ($17/bag) for Plats and was told "we try to accommodate AA elites but it is really up to the gate agent" which I thought was a fairly lame answer.

All and all pretty happy though. Going to skip the Hilton Waikoloa Village this trip rooms run $250 (plus a stupid resort fee) found a VRBO 2 blocks away sleeps 6 for $119 night; very nice (I hope - looks nice anyway). I'm a very loyal Hilton guy but this this doesn't make sense even on points - would need 2 rooms.
I am aware of no luggage waivers on HA for AA elites. We have always coughed up the $17 per bag. You will have a great trip. Two nights in Waikiki is perfect before going on to another island!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
As someone who flew the nonstop DFW-HNL/ HNL-DFW in 2011 in F, then on a separate ticket, purchased HNL-KOA directly from HA, as I wanted to fly interisland in F on HA, and you can't redeem AAdvantage miles for an F interisland award, I wanted to share the following:

Our DFW-HNL flight had to make an emergency on board and flew back to SFO. As a result, despite having over 3 hours to connect to our HNL-KOA flight, we missed the flight. When we booked the HNL-KOA flights, we thought 3 hours was plenty of time. Obviously not.

Those that booked DFW-HNL-Interisland Ticket purchased on the same ticket were given reaccomodation tickets by a rep that met the AA flight at HNL. Since we had separate tickets for HNL-KOA, the rep said we would had have to talk to HA.

Since we were on a F HNL-KOA ticket, we were able to use HA's Premier Club.

However it was an ordeal to get reacommodated on HA.

We wound up getting the last 2 standby seats for the last possible flight for HNL-KOA, and the seats were separate and in coach. It was embarassing and annoying that there was no overhead bin space when we boarded the HNL-KOA flight, and Hawaiian's FA's were apathetic in trying to help us look for overhead bin space. I was forced to check my rollerboard.

If you don't plan on renting a car on the Big Island, I HIGHLY recommend using Gold Coast Town Car Service to get to/from your accomodations in Hawaii. We used them both ways to/from KOA and the service was fantastic! Top notch service, polite, bottles of water and refreshing towels in the car, and even some Hawaiian Host chocolates in the car upon arrival in KOA.

Well worth the price paid.

Last edited by Max M; Jan 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Silly question.

How are you getting HNL-KOA with AAdvantage miles? AA doesn't fly that route (unless I am being dense and missing something)
Very easy to do. I believe you can do it online now, but if not, check EF first to make sure that the award is available and then book it with the desk for your elite level. Be aware that it will end up on a separate record which could cause you issues if there are delays on your flight to HNL.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by alhcfp

DFW-HNL (763) awards in J are not as easy as LAX-KOA in J.

I am very flexible on flight dates.

My question is: Tkt GIG-DFW-LAX-KOA all in J, then change when 763 opens or GIG-DFW (J) and DFW-HNL in Y (voluntary downgrade) and waitlist?

THANKS
Bumping and narrowing down my question.

DFW-HNL in not available right now in my date range.

THANKS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.