DFW-LAX-KOA or DFW-HNL-KOA

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
DFW-LAX-KOA or DFW-HNL-KOA

Planning on using an 50k AA J award from So. America zone-2 to DFW.

Multiday layover in DFW.

Then fly to KOA on same tkt.

Options are DFW-HNL on 763 then HA to KOA Plus 5k miles
or
DFW-LAX-KOA on non-NGBC planes.

Thoughts and suggestions?

THANKS
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:04 am

I would definately choose the 763. It really makes the first day in Hawaii better, at least for me.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Planning on using an 50k AA J award from So. America zone-2 to DFW.

Multiday layover in DFW.

Then fly to KOA on same tkt.

Options are DFW-HNL on 763 then HA to KOA Plus 5k miles
or
DFW-LAX-KOA on non-NGBC planes.

Thoughts and suggestions?

THANKS
What is the question? It's a 763 vs 752. Is it worth 5K to have a long flight in NGBC?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
DFW-LAX-KOA is in a regular 'domestic first class' recliners.

DFW-HNL has lie-flat seating.

I would highly recommend the DFW-HNL if you can get it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure you can have a multi-day layover? With one-ways, I feel like you need to go from A to B as relatively quickly as possible.

Anyway, as a frequent HI flyer, I'd do DFW-LAX-LIH. And the reasoning is simple: wifi and no need to sleep. It's a daytime flight, so I really don't see myself waking up at 6am or whatever to catch the 10am DFW-HNL 763 just so I can go back to sleep at 11am.

Now, as for the return, I would absolutely take LIH-HNL-DFW. That is a redeye, and the 763 biz seat is a delight for that purpose.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:04 am

I would take the 767 and make the connection in HNL. In addition, you have better flight times as well.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm not sure you can have a multi-day layover? With one-ways, I feel like you need to go from A to B as relatively quickly as possible.

Anyway, as a frequent HI flyer, I'd do DFW-LAX-LIH. And the reasoning is simple: wifi and no need to sleep. It's a daytime flight, so I really don't see myself waking up at 6am or whatever to catch the 10am DFW-HNL 763 just so I can go back to sleep at 11am.

Now, as for the return, I would absolutely take LIH-HNL-DFW. That is a redeye, and the 763 biz seat is a delight for that purpose.
Award tickets allow layover in North American gateway.

Thanks for the other advice.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Award tickets allow layover in North American gateway.

Thanks for the other advice.
Right, the stopover can be as long as the ticket is valid (one year from date of issue)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'll be returning from KOA via HNL on the 11th. Planned this vacation very early last year. Did my parents on miles and myself on an economy ticket + SWU. I can tell you the Hawaiian airlines connection in HNL is no problem. It will be a pain that they do not check your luggage all the way through on the return, so if that is a concern, take AA metal all the way. Otherwise, I would take the 763 to HNL without hesitation.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Appreciate all the info.

Related question:

DFW-HNL (763) awards in J are not as easy as LAX-KOA in J.

I am very flexible on flight dates.

My question is: Tkt GIG-DFW-LAX-KOA all in J, then change when 763 opens or GIG-DFW (J) and DFW-HNL in Y (voluntary downgrade) and waitlist?

ALSO- Do I add HNL-KOA to this tkt or make separate tkt?

THANKS
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
HNL to KOA is very cheap-- so best to pay under $100 than burning an extra 5K miles. it is a short flight-- definitely 767 on the dfw/hnl vs the 737/757 DFW/LAX and then 757 lax/koa- aside from HA, there is another company called GO. www.iflygo.com The prices are competitive- HA offers similar prices, but GO may charge an extra $17 for a checked bag.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
A little of topic but similiar, booked OMA-HNL on 11/26 then over to KOA on 11/28. If I choose Hawaiian Air for HNL-KOA will there be any luggage charges as an AA Platinum?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Silly question.

How are you getting HNL-KOA with AAdvantage miles? AA doesn't fly that route (unless I am being dense and missing something)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Silly question.

How are you getting HNL-KOA with AAdvantage miles? AA doesn't fly that route (unless I am being dense and missing something)
AA miles on HA.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I was able to get 4 J tickets from OMA-DFW-HNL for 37.5 but was told it would cost 5k more for HNL-KOA so we decided to do 2 nights in Honolulu and spend $68 for one way's on Hawaiian. Due of course to the scarcity of J inventory I had to put 2 of us on the 11 am and 2 on the 1 pm out of DFW. So I called Hawaiian to ask about luggage waiver ($17/bag) for Plats and was told "we try to accommodate AA elites but it is really up to the gate agent" which I thought was a fairly lame answer.

All and all pretty happy though. Going to skip the Hilton Waikoloa Village this trip rooms run $250 (plus a stupid resort fee) found a VRBO 2 blocks away sleeps 6 for $119 night; very nice (I hope - looks nice anyway). I'm a very loyal Hilton guy but this this doesn't make sense even on points - would need 2 rooms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.