Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking American Flights on Iberia Website

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
AA & Iberia don't go along that well when it comes to seat selection. Even when your flight has an AA flight number, if it's operated by Iberia you probably don't will be able to get seats assigned.
There seems to be 1 workaround and that is booking on AA.com, in that case you can call AA reservations and they will assign seats. If it's booked with a 3rd party you're not able to assign seats until check-in.

More here : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html
I think that the posts above supersede that summary of the old thread.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Even when your flight has an AA flight number, if it's operated by Iberia you probably don't will be able to get seats assigned.
More here : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html
Originally Posted by nbevan
I think that the posts above supersede that summary of the old thread.
This thread is about seats on an AA-operated flight booked with an IB flight number. The thread linked to is about an IB-operated flight booked with an AA flight number.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Thank you to everyone for your help - my girlfriend found an email from AA with her Advantage club number on it, so we logged in to the website and searched for the flights by the AA flight number as suggested.

It brought up most of our itinerary with a different record locator to any we'd had before, and with the AA flight numbers - three of the four flights, the three that had IB flight numbers - and we seem to have been able to pick Main Cabin Extra seats.

The missing flight, DEN-ORD was initially booked with an AA flight number (as part of the same itinerary, but for some reason it didn't get the IB number). When we searched using that flight number we get the whole itinerary but the other three flights have their IB numbers and our seats are 'unassigned'.

We will check again later to see if this change has worked - the 'new' record locator from AA doesn't work on Check My Trip, and we might ring AA to make sure all four flights are linked on that record locator so there aren't any problems when we check in.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BigVince76
Thank you to everyone for your help - my girlfriend found an email from AA with her Advantage club number on it, so we logged in to the website and searched for the flights by the AA flight number as suggested.

It brought up most of our itinerary with a different record locator to any we'd had before, and with the AA flight numbers - three of the four flights, the three that had IB flight numbers - and we seem to have been able to pick Main Cabin Extra seats.
Glad to see that it worked for you, too!

The missing flight, DEN-ORD was initially booked with an AA flight number (as part of the same itinerary, but for some reason it didn't get the IB number). When we searched using that flight number we get the whole itinerary but the other three flights have their IB numbers and our seats are 'unassigned'.
It's perfectly normal. The originally AA coded flight will appear with correct seat assignment on the PNR with the IB coded, AA operated flights, whille PNR for the AA coded versions of the code-share flights will only contain those flights. That's why I suggested you too pull up this version of your itinerary with the AA flight number of one of flights sold under IB code.

We will check again later to see if this change has worked - the 'new' record locator from AA doesn't work on Check My Trip, and we might ring AA to make sure all four flights are linked on that record locator so there aren't any problems when we check in.
Of course it is always wise to keep an eye on your seat assignments, but it is safe to assume that everything will go smoothly unless an equipment change messes everything up.
CMP (CheckMyTrip) works with Amadeus, AA uses Sabre. AA record locators do not work with CMP, only Amadeus record locators (eg. IB or BA) work there.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Interesting thread. I know in the past when going the other way (Booked AA as EXP with BA flights) I can call EXP desk and get the locator for the BA flight, but it doesn't seem to give me any status as Emerald. Of course the flights are short interEurope flights (occasionally LHR to DME, though), so not sure I get the benefit of OWE. Gotta start calling people I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.