Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking American Flights on Iberia Website

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Booking American Flights on Iberia Website

Hi,

I am trying to book flights to Denver, flying with American from Dublin via Chicago. I have found flights on ITA but I can't get either the American or BA websites to come up with the flights I want - Iberia, Expedia and Ebookers all will, however. They offer other routes at the same price, but I can't match the exact itinerary. The flight that is causing the problems, from ORD-DEN is there when I search for it individually but not when I want it as part of the whole trip.

Any idea why this may be?

Anyway, this is ok, if a little frustrating, - I can book through one of the other sites - however, I have OneWorld Emerald status, and my partner is Sapphire (both of us have this through the BA Executive Club), and the AA website suggests that we have access to their 'Main Cabin Extra' seats. Will we still be able to take advantage of this if we book via Iberia's website?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Actually there should be no need. If you are BA gold you can call up AA reservations on the phone and read them the flight numbers and purchase the itinerary that way. As a OW Emerald you are exempt from the phone ticketing charge.

In reference to your other question, yes you will have access to MCE no matter who you book the ticket with. Just make sure that you get the AA PNR # and do the adjustments to the seats on AA.com (the reservation systems get a little "picky" when crossing airline boundaries).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Have you tried searching by schedule using the aa.com Multi-city option? That usually gives the right fare.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
book on expedia/other....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all you help, I think I will book via the IB website as it sounds as if I can assign seats that I want. It seems very strange though that I can't just book using the AA website. If I search by schedule it says that there are no flights but if I search by price it brings up loads of options, just not the most direct and cheap one that the IB and other websites do.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by BigVince76
Thanks for all you help, I think I will book via the IB website as it sounds as if I can assign seats that I want. It seems very strange though that I can't just book using the AA website. If I search by schedule it says that there are no flights but if I search by price it brings up loads of options, just not the most direct and cheap one that the IB and other websites do.
When you book with Iberia, be sureto get the AA locator which will be different.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper
When you book with Iberia, be sureto get the AA locator which will be different.
Ok I booked the flights via the IB website. I have got the AA locator from checkmytrip and put that into AA's website. It brings up the booking but I can not select seats because although they are all AA flights the IB website has booked them using IB flight numbers. I guess I will have to call in to sort this out. If only the AA website was able to sell AA flights, crazy idea I know but it might just work!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:13 am
Original Poster

I really wish I had stuck to UA! So I call AA, with my AA booking ref and after 45 minutes on the phone I am told that seats cannot be assigned until check in. I only booked AA because I should be able to get MCE seats on the 763 but turns out I can't, well if there are any left at check in I might but that is a longshot. I'm so cross, Why I could not have just booked direct with AA is madness. Now I'm stuck with rubbish seats on a rubbish plane flown by a rubbish airline. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:17 am

I assume you have tried to get seats on aa.com using the AA locator (and checking that your BA FF number is there)?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:12 am
Original Poster

We have all three record locators, and have tried the AA website. It says:

"This reservation cannot be changed online because it includes travel outside the United States, Puerto Rico and/or US Virgin Islands. Please contact AA Reservations for assistance."

We are flying DUB-ORD-DEN, and the same in reverse. All on AA (or American Eagle) metal, but for some reason the flights at the price we booked have got IB flight numbers. I spent a long time on the phone with a very helpful AA agent, but she said there's nothing they can do - we have to wait until checkin.

I just wondered whether this was really the case - as I said above, both of us have eligible status (Emerald and Sapphire) on OneWorld and we're being told we can't choose ANY seat until checkin, let alone one of the Main Cabin Extra ones. I am not entirely sure what the point of having this status is if we can't choose seats before anyone else!

It's partly our fault for going for the cheap flight (£370 total each) without looking into the implications of the IB flight numbers, but we could have flown with UA for less. We chose this option because we thought we'd be able to pick the better seats.

If anyone knows whether there's anything we can do to get the MCE seats I'd really appreciate it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:56 am

We have all three record locators, and have tried the AA website. It says:

"This reservation cannot be changed online because it includes travel outside the United States, Puerto Rico and/or US Virgin Islands. Please contact AA Reservations for assistance."
That is normal for international itineraries. But I assume that you also do not have a Change Seats button under any of the flights (and that your BA FF number is in the reservations)?

Otherwise this post confirms your experience, although suggests that you could get a non-MCE seat:
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Just to provide some additional information.

I booked a ticket with both IB code and operated flight as well as IB code but AA operated flight.

I had no problem assigning seats on the IB coded and operated flight in advance as an EXP. In fact, the website allowed me to assign any seat I wanted, including exit rows, free of charge.

I was unable to assign seats on the IB coded but AA operated flight on iberia.com. I called EXP desk and they were unable to assign it either even though it's AA operated. EXP agent and her help desk explained that the computer was pulling up the flight as if it's operated by IB

I decided to call IB and asked if they could help. They agent initially told me to call AA since it's operated by AA After telling her it's IB coded and AA was unable to assign seats, the agent put me on hold to check. She came back and told me she could access to only a limited section of seat map (it sounded like non-elite section only) and was able to assigned me whatever seat I wanted that was not in the elite section, despite me being an Oneworld Emerald EXP. I checked expertflyer and saw the seat I chose as confirmed.

So, at least it is possible to assign seats, albeit non-elite, on AA metal even if you book it as IB coded.
However, this may be the solution:
Originally Posted by af fp
Note: FYI, for a IB codeshare, IB ticket and AA flight, I could e-mail AA's web reservations support, give them my flight number, date, name, I got a reply within 12 hours with my record locator which allowed me to change my seats online.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
I really wish I had stuck to UA! So I call AA, with my AA booking ref and after 45 minutes on the phone I am told that seats cannot be assigned until check in. I only booked AA because I should be able to get MCE seats on the 763 but turns out I can't, well if there are any left at check in I might but that is a longshot. I'm so cross, Why I could not have just booked direct with AA is madness. Now I'm stuck with rubbish seats on a rubbish plane flown by a rubbish airline. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
There are usually two AA booking references for code share flights. One with the partner codes and one with the AA codes. IME you can only select seats with latter. Partner airlines (and CheckMyTrip) will usually only know about the AA record locator with the partner flight numbers. I was only able to find out the record locator with AA flight numbers by logging into my AAdvantage account, going to My Reservations/Flight Check-In and finding my reservation by supplying my name, date and the AA code for one of the AA operated (but partner coded) flights in the reservation, but NOT the booking reference. It should bring up the reservation and you should be able to select seats there, including MCE after supplying an apropriate FF number. Take note of this booking reference as well for future use.
Agents on all sides (AA, AY, BA) were just clueless and sometimes outright onhelpful.

Last edited by JnsV; Jan 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JnsV
I was only able to find out the record locator with AA flight numbers by logging into my AAdvantage account, going to My Reservations/Flight Check-In and finding my reservation by supplying my name, date and the AA code for one of the AA operated (but partner coded) flights in the reservation, but NOT the booking reference.
Bingo. Since the flight is AA-operated, AA does have access to change seat assignments. The way I got it done in the past was for an agent to look it up by flight number, date, and last name. If it works self-service too, even better.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out and let you know how I get on.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
AA & Iberia don't go along that well when it comes to seat selection. Even when your flight has an AA flight number, if it's operated by Iberia you probably don't will be able to get seats assigned.
There seems to be 1 workaround and that is booking on AA.com, in that case you can call AA reservations and they will assign seats. If it's booked with a 3rd party you're not able to assign seats until check-in.

More here : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.