Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cases Where You Are Better Off In Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Back in the day (waaaay back), when AA gave you miles for flying on BA...
What do you mean - they still do?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I recently had a row of 5 to myself on a TATL with J full and no upgrade. I had a great sleep- 6+ hours. Nobody waking me up to use the loo.
The upgrade I regret the most is when I was settled into a row of 5 on a TATL, and before the gate closed they moved me up to business class because they didn't have enough meals. Wish I'd told them to serve me the J meal and drink in Y.....
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
A couple of times I have downgraded from Biz to Coach (after I upgraded using stickers) on transcon flights when the load in the back was light and I was assured that I would have all three seats in the middle section of the 767.

The food/drink is meaningless to me and I prefer the space of 3 coach seats to 1 Biz seat.

I must be in the minority, because the gate agents gave me a funny look when I requested the downgrade.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I don't get the whole sleeping across a row of seats thing. Very uncomfortable in my opinion. Width (e.g., to read a newspaper and work on a laptop with some papers next to it) and F seats do just fine for that. That plus the fact I like to be well hydrated (coffee/water in the morning water/alcohol in the afternoon/evening) means that there is simply no time where I would ever not choose F or Y.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
What do you mean - they still do?
They didn't for quite a while. The poster you quoted meant even before that.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by sts603
I don't get the whole sleeping across a row of seats thing. Very uncomfortable in my opinion.
It's wonderful. I am not that tall (5'4") and am able to stretch out across three seats. Five seats with pillows and blankets is fabulous. But, then, I am totally comfortable sleeping on a couch, any couch.

I like to be well hydrated (coffee/water in the morning water/alcohol in the afternoon/evening)
Alcohol is dehydrating. Coffee can help with jet lag, but if hydration is your goal, good old H2O is your best bet.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:11 am

Short flights on MD80: it is hard to see how 3A is significantly better, or better at all, than 21F.

Pros for 3A: Wider seat, first off the plane
Pros for 21F: More legroom, often empty middle seat next to you

On short flights, there is no food in first or coach, so that's a wash. On short flights, I am often driving a car immediately after the flight, so alcohol is out.

Since I am narrow enough to fit in 21F, but too long (at 5' 8"!) to fit comfortably in 3A, I will usually take 21F over 3A unless I am in a rush to get off the plane first for some reason.

Take care,
Saunders111
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
They didn't for quite a while. The poster you quoted meant even before that.
Right. For many years you could actually get BOTH AA and UA miles before they figured it out/ created the OneWorld and StarAlliance programs. I did well then!

Then when BA & AA partnered you couldn't get AA miles if you flew a route on BA which AA also flew. But I guess they've changed that back.

(To keep to topic I might add that in no case when I flew UA was I ever better in economy!)

To those who don't like stretching across several seats... have you tried putting UP the armrests?!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Alcohol is dehydrating. Coffee can help with jet lag, but if hydration is your goal, good old H2O is your best bet.
^
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Actually, I wouldn't expect coffee to help with jetlag as it is also dehydrating. Both will be overall negative in cases of sleep lack and the dehydration that comes from flying. I drink both on flights, but don't try to convince myself that either will do anything but make the need for water and sleep even more

Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I don't get the whole sleeping across a row of seats thing. Very uncomfortable in my opinion. Width (e.g., to read a newspaper and work on a laptop with some papers next to it) and F seats do just fine for that. That plus the fact I like to be well hydrated (coffee/water in the morning water/alcohol in the afternoon/evening) means that there is simply no time where I would ever not choose F or Y.
On the way to Europe I prefer sleep. No reading, eating, or working on a laptop. Straight to bed once the flight takes off. I hydrate before getting on the plane and usually there will be a bottle of water in the front pocket waiting for me as we prepare for landing (if not, I politely ask for one).

On the way to the USA I prefer the upgrade because I am awake and can eat, drink, read, and watch movies.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't get the whole sleeping across a row of seats thing
Three or five seats across make for a decent sleeping surface and way way more comfortable than a narrow body recliner seat in F. I'd go for Y in narrow body if I can guarantee a whole row for myself.

Now, if it was LAX-LHR...angled-lie flat in J vs. an empty 5 seats-across row? mmmm...I think I would take the J seat anyway.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Hence the water AND alcohol. One for one.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Three or five seats across make for a decent sleeping surface and way way more comfortable than a narrow body recliner seat in F. I'd go for Y in narrow body if I can guarantee a whole row for myself.

Now, if it was LAX-LHR...angled-lie flat in J vs. an empty 5 seats-across row? mmmm...I think I would take the J seat anyway.
Perhaps, but if I'm sleeping flat, I want to be on my stomach and its hard to do that stretched out in Y.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saunders111
Short flights on MD80: it is hard to see how 3A is significantly better, or better at all, than 21F.

Pros for 3A: Wider seat, first off the plane
Pros for 21F: More legroom, often empty middle seat next to you

On short flights, there is no food in first or coach, so that's a wash. On short flights, I am often driving a car immediately after the flight, so alcohol is out.

Since I am narrow enough to fit in 21F, but too long (at 5' 8"!) to fit comfortably in 3A, I will usually take 21F over 3A unless I am in a rush to get off the plane first for some reason.

Take care,
Saunders111
Whether its coffee, water, or alcohol - I still like the increased beverage service in F on a short flight. Live in New York now but even back when I did short hops back to RDU/BNA - a couple drinks during the flight before the drive home is no different then having wine at a dinner and driving home.

Oh and jackets are hung (important on business travel). The width problem is solved if 21E is empty - but empty seats (especially in exit rows) are a dwindling commodity nowadays.

Still stick with my never Y over F mantra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.