Wiki Posts
Search

Cases Where You Are Better Off In Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several
Cases Where You Are Better Off In Economy

Just flew AA 1564 PHX-ORD this morning and it was the best flight I've ever been on in economy. Load factor was probably somewhere around 30%, but first class was full or nearly full with only 1 empty seat. In the back however there were about 10 people (including me) with an entire row to themselves. I've never been a flight with such a low load factor, and I'm shocked that it still happens with how strict revenue management has become at airlines.

First class looked cramped compared to economy. I know this isn't the first case of this happening as I've read on Flyertalk before, but this was one flight where I don't think it would have been worth it to upgrade.

Economy flyers need to have positive posts too!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:02 pm

I would rather have one F seat than 3 Y seats, especially on a meal flight like this.

As always, YMMV.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Just flew AA 1564 PHX-ORD this morning and it was the best flight I've ever been on in economy.
I was on a DFW-BOS flight (757) with 10 people in F and 10 people in Y. The best part was that it was a mileage run and I had just spent the last day flying or waiting for flights, so I got some good sleep.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Take the F seat and enjoy the meal. Then take your stuff back to an empty row and stretch out.

Back in the late 90's lower load factors and empty rows were not such a novelty. And with AA's "heart healthy" special meal option you could actually get something like a nice grilled salmon dinner in Y. Stretched out and well fed, I did not envy the folks crammed up in first class.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Redeye flights with a 757.

I'd take a bulkhead coach seat over the F any day.

If it's low load and there are entire rows - even better.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Once had an early morning TUS->DFW flight. Very light load in F. So light in fact that they offered kiosk upgrades...that were snapped up by a large family traveling with 5 kids under the age of 5. Somehow I doubt the rest of the cabin was too happy with that (and yes, I could hear them screaming from back in the cheap seats).
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Before true 180 flat business class seats, I preferred to have an entire row in coach for sleep. I get to actually be flat and stretched out.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Back in the 1990s...

Flying LAX-LHR-LAX, always in Coach. Five seats to myself. Get a seat belt extender and rig up a proper seat belt even while sleeping. Five pillows, five blankets, and Yours Truly in, essentially, a lie-flat cozy bed.

I don't care about the alcohol served up front, and as far as I am concerned, airplane food is still... airplane food. The chance to get 180-degree flat bed sleep for a good seven hours or so on a ten hour flight is golden.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
21H on a 763 TATL when 21J is unoccupied
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Back in the 1990s...

Flying LAX-LHR-LAX, always in Coach. Five seats to myself. Get a seat belt extender and rig up a proper seat belt even while sleeping. Five pillows, five blankets, and Yours Truly in, essentially, a lie-flat cozy bed.

I don't care about the alcohol served up front, and as far as I am concerned, airplane food is still... airplane food. The chance to get 180-degree flat bed sleep for a good seven hours or so on a ten hour flight is golden.
Back in the day (waaaay back), when AA gave you miles for flying on BA, I used to do LHR/BOS. BA used a 747 and the upstairs was coach. Best. Economy. Tickets. Ever.

I once had the front row all to myself... stretched & slept... shame it wasn't LHR>SFO!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
21H on a 763 TATL when 21J is unoccupied
Agree. I sleep better here than in Business. Except for width, much more like the old Business seats. I could sleep great in them.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I might take empty Y over packed F on leg room and meal challenged DL or UA, but not on AA. Although the only AA Y cabin that I don't mind for a couple hours is 20BD or 21BD on the Mad Dogs.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
as a PLT, I didn't even try to upgrade my next 757 redeye. I just can't spend hard dollars on that F cabin when sleep is the priority. going to try out row 9 instead, based on recommendations from FT members, and stretch my long legs out.

737 midcons are fine in an exit row, especially when the middle seat is unoccupied. with gogo working I can relax and enjoy those flights.

I like the 763 biz class, but the mini cabin outfitted with MCE was fine for today's dFW-HNL flight. for the redeye return I spent the money and got the stickers to upgrade.

good thread!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Just flew AA 1564 PHX-ORD this morning and it was the best flight I've ever been on in economy. Load factor was probably somewhere around 30%, but first class was full or nearly full with only 1 empty seat. In the back however there were about 10 people (including me) with an entire row to themselves. I've never been a flight with such a low load factor, and I'm shocked that it still happens with how strict revenue management has become at airlines.

First class looked cramped compared to economy. I know this isn't the first case of this happening as I've read on Flyertalk before, but this was one flight where I don't think it would have been worth it to upgrade.

Economy flyers need to have positive posts too!
As a PHX based EXP I'm on the early morning flights to ORD and DFW frequently and what you have described is a rarity. Just wait until after the holidays. Pretty much every flight will be packed and the snowbirds will be back.

Glad you enjoyed your flight, but I'll still take F over Y. The meal is worth it when you had to get up at 4:30 AM to get to the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I recently had a row of 5 to myself on a TATL with J full and no upgrade. I had a great sleep- 6+ hours. Nobody waking me up to use the loo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.