Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare difference between US and UK websites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
Fare differences for the same flight depending on where you purchase the ticket happen quite frequent. The fare rules would usually list a sales restriction and/or sales channel.
I am familiar with different availability in the same fare class in different markets, but do you have an example of different fare rules (or just different fares) for the same fare class in different markets?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nbevan
I am familiar with different availability in the same fare class in different markets, but do you have an example of different fare rules (or just different fares) for the same fare class in different markets?
I have seen many fares which have sales restrictions; lots in Australia and lots in Singapore. Within Australia I have seen fares where there is one fare for sale within Australia and one for sale outside of Australia both coming from the same inventory

Whether AA is doing this or whether the OP got confused with what was being offered, I don't know
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:36 am

I have cards from two European banks in countries on the continent. I wonder if they would work on the UK site if I found such a difference?

Originally Posted by JohnAx
If the UK fare were correct you'd find that you need a UK address on your c/c to buy it.

I asked ITA for o/w JFK-LHR on AA and got $1023 for selling in New York, £639 for London.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Carolinian
I have cards from two European banks in countries on the continent. I wonder if they would work on the UK site if I found such a difference?
AA FAQ are fairly explicit on this:
When the country of issuance of the credit card being used is other than the country of the international version of AA.com you are visiting or the country of residence that has been selected at the time of purchase, AA.com will apply the flight availability and fare of the credit card billing address country (the country where the credit card was issued). Local currency may be used.

Based on the country where the credit card was issued, which countries are subject to recalculation of fare in local currency?

The countries (and their local currency) are:

United States - USD
Anguilla - USD
Antigua And Barbuda - USD
Argentina - USD
Aruba - USD
Bahamas - USD
Barbados - USD
Belize - USD
Bermuda - USD
Bolivia - USD
Bonaire - USD
Brazil - BRL
British Virgin Islands - USD
Canada - CAD
Cayman Islands - USD
Chile - CLP
Colombia - COP
Costa Rica - USD
Curacao - USD
Dominica - USD
Dominican Republic - USD
Ecuador - USD
El Salvador - USD
Grenada - USD
Guadalupe - USD
Guatemala - USD
Haiti - USD
Honduras - USD
Jamaica - USD
Martinique - USD
Mexico - MXN
Nicaragua - USD
Panama - USD
Peru - USD
St. Kitts and Nevis - USD
St. Lucia - USD
St. Maarten - USD
St. Vincent - USD
Trinidad and Tobago - USD
Turks And Caicos Islands - USD
United Kingdom - GBP
Uruguay - USD
Venezuela - VEF
All Others

If your country is not listed, the "All Others" option will apply and the fare will be shown in U.S. dollars (USD).
So it seems, for example, that a UK resident can't buy a ticket using US pricing and availability using a UK credit card.

The workaround is to use the appropriate national version of Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. The US versions certainly accept UK credit cards.

But what about other European countries which price fares in Euros: why are these not mentioned on aa.com?

The implication seems to be that purchases can be made on aa.com using other country credit cards with US availability in US$?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:56 am

AA FAQ are fairly explicit on this:

So it seems, for example, that a UK resident can't buy a ticket using US pricing and availability using a UK credit card.

The workaround is to use the appropriate national version of Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. The US versions certainly accept UK credit cards.

But what about other European countries which price fares in Euros: why are these not mentioned on aa.com?

The implication seems to be that purchases can be made on aa.com using other country credit cards with US availability in US$?
It is not just euros. It is zloty, francs, forints, lei, etc.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have seen many fares which have sales restrictions; lots in Australia and lots in Singapore. Within Australia I have seen fares where there is one fare for sale within Australia and one for sale outside of Australia both coming from the same inventory

Whether AA is doing this or whether the OP got confused with what was being offered, I don't know
Definitely not confused. This was for half of a return itinerary - not a one way fare. Perhaps the AA.com computer got confused?! I wasn't until it started to give me 4 figure each way fares!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I went to AA.com and it was giving me an outbound fare (one way) of $1723 for discount Y (O).
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
Definitely not confused. This was for half of a return itinerary - not a one way fare. Perhaps the AA.com computer got confused?! I wasn't until it started to give me 4 figure each way fares!
Just to be clear, you were requesting a return from JFK(?) to LHR, and the fare of $1723 showed up in the first column (Economy Super Saver) of the first screen, and you expanded it to reveal that it was an O fare?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:43 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:58 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Lots of speculation on this thread but no concrete example of a fare that has a different price depending on point of sale.
If by fare you mean the price you pay, different availability for a particular fare class in different markets is quite common.

If by fare you mean the available published fare, Dave Noble's example of fares restricted to particular far eastern markets seems quite plausible. The fare rules that I have looked at include: "TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3", but I assume there are some fares than can only be sold in specific areas.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Just to be clear, you were requesting a return from JFK(?) to LHR, and the fare of $1723 showed up in the first column (Economy Super Saver) of the first screen, and you expanded it to reveal that it was an O fare?
Yes - not JFK though. Minor airport to connect through ORD
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:41 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:15 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angatol
I'm sure it is. I was just asking if anyone knows of a specific example with specific dates between specific city pairs as that's really the only way to figure out what is happening. I can write a script to find the fare for any fare basis from any POS, but not without knowing a specific anomaly.
Well, the OP could provide the information on exactly what the OP is trying to purchase which would enable looking at the specific example and seeing if there is an obvious reason for the apparant discrepency
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I booked on the US site today, got a fare of $974, but when I tried to pay with my British card it 'repriced' my ticket adding about $400. I went back to the payment info page and used a US card and it went back to 974. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't the card I wanted to use, but to save $400...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I booked on the US site today, got a fare of $974, but when I tried to pay with my British card it 'repriced' my ticket adding about $400. I went back to the payment info page and used a US card and it went back to 974. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't the card I wanted to use, but to save $400...
from where to where please?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Arsey00
You could probably have booked with your preferred card on Orbitz for a small supplement.

But when I have been in this situation, the exchange rate premium on a UK card with perks is much greater than the value of the perks, so using a US card on aa.com (or in my case a UK card with no exchange rate loading on Orbitz) makes more financial sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.