Fare difference between US and UK websites

Old Nov 29, 12, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Fare difference between US and UK websites

I had an odd issue when booking a flight ex. USA to the UK a few days ago.

I went to AA.com and it was giving me an outbound fare (one way) of $1723 for discount Y (O).

I then went to americanairlines.co.uk and found the exact same fare & flight (O) for £224 or approx $358 when converted.

What's that all about?
Old Nov 29, 12, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've never seen the fares differ, at all. So my guess is that the "US" one priced out as a one-way while the "UK" priced as part of a round trip. One way TATL fares in economy are often very high, while tacking on a return can often bring the total price below the one-way was before.

--------------------

Thread title has been updated. $1700 is expensive for a one-way coach fare, but definitely not extortionate.

~Moderator
Old Nov 29, 12, 11:22 am

If the UK fare were correct you'd find that you need a UK address on your c/c to buy it.

I asked ITA for o/w JFK-LHR on AA and got $1023 for selling in New York, £639 for London.
Old Nov 29, 12, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JohnAx View Post
If the UK fare were correct you'd find that you need a UK address on your c/c to buy it.

I asked ITA for o/w JFK-LHR on AA and got $1023 for selling in New York, £639 for London.
Which is the same price. I don't think it should be needed to buy it from the UK site--it should just be a matter of doing the right search on the US site to get it to price similarly.
Old Nov 29, 12, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by JohnAx View Post
Not necessarily. While you indeed may not be able to purchase the fare online, putting the itinerary on hold and call to pay always works for me.
Old Nov 29, 12, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Could simply be a fare that has a sales restriction of only for sale in Europe
Old Nov 29, 12, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
I have seen this happen given that other AA sites for other countries use different GDS's.
Old Nov 29, 12, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What is GDS?
I have seen this price difference a couple of years ago on the US Airways website. I then blamed different search engines (usairways.com uses its own engine; usairways.nl uses amadeus). A one way for GBP 224 sounds too good to be true. Can you repeat the search, then post the dates/flights here?
Old Nov 29, 12, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zaynab View Post
What is GDS?
A global distribution system, such as Amadeus or Sabre...
Old Nov 29, 12, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IflyonAA View Post
What's that all about?
We would need origin, destination and date to reply!
Old Nov 29, 12, 10:40 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 6:15 am
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
£224 or approx $358 is the outbound part of the current O fare quoted for JFK-LHR return on aa.com (composed of half the O fare: $105, half the YR: $229, and the taxes ex JFK: $24).

$1723 could have been quoted as a one way fare JFK-LHR (i.e. much higher than half the return fare).

If the outbound part of a return had been quoted of $1723, it would have been based on a roundtrip fare of 2 x (1723 - 229 - 24) = 2940. According to EF, there is currently no AA fare of exactly $2940 (although there are some Y fares around that price).

While availability in particular fare classes quite often varies between markets, I doubt that AA has different base fares in different markets (EF can show the base fares for the US and UK markets).

The easiest way to compare available fares in the different markets (i.e. determined by the base fare and availability in the fare class) is to change the "country of Residence" on the aa.com reservations page. EF is a convenient way to find availability in the different fare classes in the US and UK markets.
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
Point of sale restrictions?

Originally Posted by IflyonAA View Post
I had an odd issue when booking a flight ex. USA to the UK a few days ago.

I went to AA.com and it was giving me an outbound fare (one way) of $1723 for discount Y (O).

I then went to americanairlines.co.uk and found the exact same fare & flight (O) for £224 or approx $358 when converted.

What's that all about?
This happened to me recently too. I originally priced out a ticket MAD-JFK-LHR all in O class for about £310 (about $500) on aa.com with the UK picked as country of residence. Went to buy the same flights the next day, but the price had jumped a fair bit because the outbound was now only available in N. However, on Expertflyer I saw that the outbound was still O1. Switched the country of residence to US, picked the flights that I originally wanted, and bought the ticket all in O class for $500 (£310).

I have both UK and US credit cards, so can't comment this time around on the problems associated with buying a ticket in a different currency with a card registered in a different country. In the past though, that problem has been pretty easy to get around.
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by angatol View Post
Surely can't be a one-way in O. Must be half of a round/trip.
Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
£224 or approx $358 is the outbound part of the current O fare quoted for JFK-LHR return on aa.com (composed of half the O fare: $105, half the YR: $229, and the taxes ex JFK: $24).

$1723 could have been quoted as a one way fare JFK-LHR (i.e. much higher than half the return fare).
Good call.
Old Dec 1, 12, 3:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Fare differences for the same flight depending on where you purchase the ticket happen quite frequent. The fare rules would usually list a sales restriction and/or sales channel.

Search this Thread