FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1401070-hurricane-sandy-post-sandy-impacts-related-issues-consolidated.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by coremill (Post 19575869)
Anyone have an idea how long flights will keep operating between NYC and MIA? The NYC airports should be fine until late Monday I'd think but the storm is going to be right in the flight path.

AA will likely get all a/c out of New York by Sunday afternoon. Heck, Megabus is not running any buses after 5PM Sunday (I'm coming back tomorrow on a 12:30PM bus.) The MTA has a standby plan to begin to shutdown the system starting 7PM Sunday. Airports will also probably close to flights by that time.

DevilsX Oct 27, 2012 3:34 pm

:( My flight out of JFK is at 7PM Sunday. This is gonna suck.

bthotugigem05 Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Took about 5 minutes to change to an earlier DFW-DCA flight tomorrow. Should be landing at DCA just as all the fireworks start to hit. Heck of a way to spend my first visit to DC!

Eujeanie Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Anyone have a guess as to what happens AFTER a storm passes? Here's my dilemma...I'm scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday, November 2. What happens if Logan is up and running, but my family in the hinterlands of New Hampshire has no power for an extended period (yes I've heard rumors that power outages could be extensive and long)...am I expected to fly into a situation like that?

silentbob1974 Oct 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Given what's currently known, what would y'all say the chances are of the Sunday night LAX-IAD redeye getting cancelled? Scheduled arrival is 0640 on Monday. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to take an earlier flight. Because IAD is more inland than BWI or DCA, I'm only moderately worried but who really knows.

yojimbo Oct 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I was scheduled to fly JFK-LAS on Jet Blue this past Friday, returning on AA this Monday.

I did not go on my trip because I anticipated that I would not be able to return on Monday due to weather. Of course when I cancelled the Jet Blue flight, they imposed a $100 cancellation fee.

I haven't yet cancelled my Monday AA flight to JFK. Since I am not able to make the trip to LAS in the next week, I'm hoping AA give me a voucher for the full amount of my fare.

RomeoZ Oct 27, 2012 6:01 pm

guiz is the storm likely to have passed on Thursday? flying to Logan Airport that day

any ideaS?

Herb687 Oct 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by silentbob1974 (Post 19577054)
Given what's currently known, what would y'all say the chances are of the Sunday night LAX-IAD redeye getting cancelled? Scheduled arrival is 0640 on Monday.

My semi-educated guess is that if this storm continues to play out as it seems to be tracking now, there's a very good chance that an 0640 Monday arrival into IAD would be canceled.

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 19577294)
My semi-educated guess is that if this storm continues to play out as it seems to be tracking now, there's a very good chance that an 0640 Monday arrival into IAD would be canceled.

The current forecast for IAD during that time period is on the order of 14 MPH winds with some rain. Depending on how the forecast plays out over the next 18-24 hours, the flight may still go. (That forecast ought to be flyable). The 8 PM NHC forecast showed the storm as being well off the coast until ~2 PM Monday.

I'm hoping the 9 AM IAD-LAX for Monday goes.... the current forecast is showing that the "bad" weather will start after noon on Monday & extend into/through Wed.

That said, VX has already canceled their IAD flights for Monday and Tuesday.

sbrower Oct 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 19577033)
Anyone have a guess as to what happens AFTER a storm passes? Here's my dilemma...I'm scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday, November 2. What happens if Logan is up and running, but my family in the hinterlands of New Hampshire has no power for an extended period (yes I've heard rumors that power outages could be extensive and long)...am I expected to fly into a situation like that?

Depends on the severity of the effects. Too early to guess. If the airport is open, and the city of Boston is open, but if New Hampshire is "closed", this probably falls into "if you buy a non-refundable ticket sometimes you will need to pay the change fee if you don't want to go."

1K-SFO Oct 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Any proactive cancellations yet?

I'm waiting to change an SFO-JFK in hopes it cancels (get refund vs reschedule).

I've been looking at Sunday schedules but looks like everything's still flying. Anyone else seen any yet?

progapanda Oct 27, 2012 7:34 pm

A handful at EWR (not exclusively AA), according to http://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

However the JetBlue COO just tweeted that their plan is to operate a normal schedule on Sunday and shut down Northeast operations on Monday, bring back BOS on Tuesday evening and New York on Wednesday. American will probably do something more or less similar. I figure things go bad it will probably take a while to get service back to normal and switched out a a Wednesday evening JFK-MIA segment to an early Thursday morning instead.

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO (Post 19577454)
I've been looking at Sunday schedules but looks like everything's still flying. Anyone else seen any yet?

justforfun Oct 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda (Post 19577645)
However the JetBlue COO just tweeted that their plan is to operate a normal schedule on Sunday and shut down Northeast operations on Monday, bring back BOS on Tuesday evening and New York on Wednesday. American will probably do something more or less similar.

This does not sound good. Thanks for the head's up.

Sam_AE Oct 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I have a one day trip planned to NYC (flying in to LGA (10am) out of JFK (8pm) tomorrow Oct 28th. I booked my ticket on BA using my Avios points.

1. Am I crazy to even risk going for the day given the warnings? Weather reports say Sandy isn't going to hit NYC until Monday -- but from this thread it sounds like NYC gets **ready** in advance by shutting everything down. And, in the case of AA -- they may just shut down early so that their aircrafts are not in harms way.

2. Assuming I want to cancel -- given their policy of not doing free cancellations, I suppose my better option is to switch the flight to the latest date possible, then cancel through British Airways -- that way I can get my points back in my account (and pay a lesser fee). Agreed?

phviles Oct 27, 2012 9:53 pm

What "available seats" really means on AA

I work for the government in Washington, D.C. and need to go to Tulsa this week so I've been watching AA's page of schedules where you can select "only show flights with available seats" or similar wording. I used the number of flights which appeared as a rough gauge of whether I could move my Monday evening flight earlier to avoid Hurricane Sandy. When I finally called to do that, none of the flights which showed available seats was open to me. "Available seats" means that they have not yet been selected by passengers, not that they are available for sale. Caveat emptor. (I moved to Monday morning, but Sunday was gone by 8:30 p.m. Saturday.)