FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1401070-hurricane-sandy-post-sandy-impacts-related-issues-consolidated.html)

Andaz5 Oct 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Some flight cancellations begin early as the airlines want to move equipment out of the path of the storm to minimize disruption for customers outside the region. For instance they don't want to cancel a flight from LAX to HNL because the equipment is stuck at JFK.

Originally Posted by supergrandslam (Post 19581720)
As far as I know, Air canada also proactively cancelled to/from northeast flights starting this morning.

I guess majority of airlines(including AA,DL) just want evacuate their airplanes from northeast,not their passengers:o

CityFlyerNYC Oct 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Is anyone else unable to login to Aa.com? Says my account is locked. Strange. And exp line isn't recognizing my phone number or advantage number.

swag Oct 28, 2012 4:09 pm

AA Facebook post:

"Flights to and from DCA, IAD, BWI, BDL, PHL, EWR, JFK, ORF and LGA are cancelled through Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy."

weezl Oct 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 19582014)
I have little sympathy for anyone stuck at the airport tonight or tomorrow you have had more than 48 hours to change your plans.

This is somewhat rude. Some pax may not have the $150 (plus maybe some refare issues) to spare if their flight does not show as canceled. And still others did not want to get to NY only to be trapped there an extra day with a city in turmoil, without a way to get back home on time.

I personally was delighted that UA was early in their cancellation process because it gave me a chance to rebook or outright cancel and get a full refund.

And obviously some not too ignorant planners at UA saw the reality of Frankenstom closing airspace by Sunday night as inevitable, i.e. why wait until the last minute. Maybe they will be wrong in the end but hard to believe that they were not well educated, uninformed, and didn't weigh all of the evidence in this situation.

Oh wait:eek:, they've made one or 2 mistakes in the past, haven't they?:p

My points are:
1. UA made a tough decision to cancel early, others chose to do otherwise. It is not clear at this time that early cancellation was wrong nor is it clear that waiting a bit was wrong. Either way, my 2nd point is:
2. I do feel sorry for some who are SOL now

FYI, data point for comparison: last night I tried to get a refund but after 45 min on hold I gave up. I may have not been given the UA 1K line, who knows?

This AM, despite an initial warning message about high call volume, I got an agent without any hold.

yojimbo Oct 28, 2012 4:13 pm

My AA flight to JFK tomorrow was (of course) cancelled. I do not want to reschedule. I would like a refund.

Can I wait several days (and avoid the long wait on the phone) to request a refund?

Dadaluma83 Oct 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC (Post 19582110)
Is anyone else unable to login to Aa.com? Says my account is locked. Strange. And exp line isn't recognizing my phone number or advantage number.

Same here. Tried logging in to my account and it says it is locked for my security. Sorta like what happens when you try to log in with the wrong password several times in a row.

Since I don't need to book a flight for another week or so I am just going to let the problem hopefully fix itself.

HNL Oct 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 19582134)
My points are:
1. UA made a tough decision to cancel early, others chose to do otherwise. It is not clear at this time that early cancellation was wrong nor is it clear that waiting a bit was wrong. Either way, my 2nd point is:

People on this board howl when AA cancels flights too soon.

fieldeng Oct 28, 2012 4:21 pm

My Tuesday BWI flight has been cancelled. I'll likely move the trip another 2 weeks out. I'm supposed to be in South Florida next week.

JDiver Oct 28, 2012 4:26 pm

I get the same, plus:

This feature is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83 (Post 19582155)
Same here. Tried logging in to my account and it says it is locked for my security. Sorta like what happens when you try to log in with the wrong password several times in a row.

Since I don't need to book a flight for another week or so I am just going to let the problem hopefully fix itself.

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC (Post 19582110)

hillrider Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by yojimbo (Post 19582148)
My AA flight to JFK tomorrow was (of course) cancelled. I do not want to reschedule. I would like a refund.

Can I wait several days (and avoid the long wait on the phone) to request a refund?

Yes, you can, but if you have additional (non-cancelled) segments on the same reservation you need to call (or cancel those segments on aa.com, if they allow it) in BEFORE their departure (the earlier the better for people who are trying to get reaccommodated).

You should theoretically also able to apply for your refund at https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ with zero wait.

BTW, a refund upon flight cancellation is normal policy, not a special one for (hurricane) Sandy.

AsiaTraveler Oct 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Me three (or whatever) on the logging in issue, for both me & my DH. On the first try.

yojimbo Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 19582249)
Yes, you can, but if you have additional (non-cancelled) segments on the same reservation you need to call (or cancel those segments on aa.com, if they allow it) in BEFORE their departure (the earlier the better for people who are trying to get reaccommodated).

You should theoretically also able to apply for your refund at https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ with zero wait.

BTW, a refund upon flight cancellation is normal policy, not a special one for (hurricane) Sandy.

Thanks Hillrider.......I'm sure the info you provided is correct, but I got this message when I tried to apply for a refund online:

Your refund request cannot be processed. The refund request you submitted is for a non-refundable ticket. In some cases, you may be able to apply this value towards the purchase of another non-refundable ticket. Certain restrictions and fees apply. Please call American Airlines Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 for further assistance.

I'll try again tomorrow.....I'm sure I will eventually get the refund.

jbdk Oct 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 19582134)
This is somewhat rude. Some pax may not have the $150 (plus maybe some refare issues) to spare if their flight does not show as canceled. And still others did not want to get to NY only to be trapped there an extra day with a city in turmoil, without a way to get back home on time.

I personally was delighted that UA was early in their cancellation process because it gave me a chance to rebook or outright cancel and get a full refund.

And obviously some not too ignorant planners at UA saw the reality of Frankenstom closing airspace by Sunday night as inevitable, i.e. why wait until the last minute. Maybe they will be wrong in the end but hard to believe that they were not well educated, uninformed, and didn't weigh all of the evidence in this situation.

Oh wait:eek:, they've made one or 2 mistakes in the past, haven't they?:p

My points are:

FYI, data point for comparison: last night I tried to get a refund but after 45 min on hold I gave up. I may have not been given the UA 1K line, who knows?

This AM, despite an initial warning message about high call volume, I got an agent without any hold.

I wish I was able to postpone my trip and apply the fare to another trip down the line. I believe UA gives you one year to complete the travel. AA and others gave you until Nov 4 to travel. I was forced last night to change my flights from today to December and incur a $75 change fee. Today, I found out that the flight from LAX to JFK that I was suppose to be on was cancelled.

Himeno Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Will there be any impacts on ORD flights? Have SEA-ORD-STL tomorrow morning.

hillrider Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by yojimbo (Post 19582304)
Thanks Hillrider.......I'm sure the info you provided is correct, but I got this message when I tried to apply for a refund online:

Actually, it was a hypothesis (I know I said "theoretically"); thanks for posting your results.

Of course, it makes little sense for AA not to have automated the request through AA.com!