FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1401070-hurricane-sandy-post-sandy-impacts-related-issues-consolidated.html)

SJOGuy Oct 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Not important in the grand scheme of things, but I notice AA's travel waiver has a spelling error.

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 19571245)
Pittsburg, PA (PIT)

Travel safely, to all those in the East Coast skies.

MasterPlanner Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker (Post 19571283)
I was scheduled on the 30th and moved everything to Monday... so me...

And I've got a flight from DCA on Monday morning (to MIA then four days in LIM) so me too. May it work out for all of us...

MasterPlanner Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 19571770)
Not important in the grand scheme of things, but I notice AA's travel waiver has a spelling error.

Travel safely, to all those in the East Coast skies.

Great catch!

(And thanks...)

PresRDC Oct 26, 2012 3:29 pm

My parents are traveling on AA-issued CX F awards back from SGN to JFK, arriving on Tuesday morning. Due to good last minute award space, I was able to move them to a Monday evening arrival. Still very likely to be affected, but probably less risky than a Tuesday morning arrival.

I figure CX pilots are used to operating in Typhoons, so if JFK is open, they'll likley make a go for it!

jbdk Oct 26, 2012 3:37 pm

I get in sun night.. no issue.

Will I be able to get out Thursday (will power be on, etc...)

Hmm.. rolling the dice.

Clarkcc1 Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk (Post 19571983)
I get in sun night.. no issue.

Will I be able to get out Thursday (will power be on, etc...)

Hmm.. rolling the dice.

How's your luck at the craps table? ;)

axlekb Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm

thresholds of cancellations

Does anyone know weather thresholds for cancelling flights?

I'm checking the weather forecast for JFK at 7am Monday morning and it's showing 32mph sustained winds with 0.34in of rain over the previous 6 hours.

That doesn't seem very promising for flying.

Changing from a redeye Sunday night to a Sunday afternoon flight means winds will be at 28mph. Is that much difference worth changing my flight?

fieldeng Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I am due to fly into BWI on Tuesday evening (6pm). Should I try to move it up a day? Or stay where I'm at?

JDiver Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Late October storms can be nasty, but weather prediction is an imperfect science. The BBC analysis at this time says

Sandy is expected to strike the US late on Monday or early Tuesday somewhere along the US east coast, a day before Halloween and a week before millions of Americans go to the polls to choose a next president.

It could make landfall anywhere between Virginia, Maryland or Delaware up through New York or southern New England.

In New York City, officials are already considering closing down mass transit before the storm hits.

In the end, this could change significantly and all we can do is wait and watch, and be flexible - prepare to pounce the moment AA's policy changes. Even Mr. Romney has cancelled his Sunday trip to Virginia.

NYCQuaker Oct 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by fieldeng (Post 19572167)
I am due to fly into BWI on Tuesday evening (6pm). Should I try to move it up a day? Or stay where I'm at?

I am trying to do all my flying on Monday morning...

See if this helps:

http://i.imwx.com//images/maps/tropi...us_650x366.jpg

nolimit186 Oct 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Flying out from DCA-DFW-HNL Sunday morning. From the sounds of it on here, looks like I may be okay. Can't afford to miss my connection at DFW..

abk Oct 26, 2012 6:08 pm

I flew stl-dfw Thursday and am scheduled to fly dfw-lga Monday around noon and then back to stl Tuesday night. Apparently this type of itinerary is not covered by the storm policy and the agent who I talked with said I am somewhat at the whim of the agent I talk to as to what they will do for me. I am going to wait until tomorrow and see what the story is.

reft Oct 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 19571017)
+1 Those of us who live or have lived on the East Coast understand the fickleness of weather forecasting. When I was in college in the 80's, the New England forecasters got really spooked by one storm, saying it looked JUST like the blizzard of '78 and said a FOOT or more of snow was very likely. We ended up getting a dusting of snow...

See also: http://xkcd.com/1126/ (October 26th, 2012)

txrus Oct 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker (Post 19571283)
I was scheduled on the 30th and moved everything to Monday... so me...

I seem to be heading in the wrong direction...going TO DCA in Monday and the BOS on Wed, at least that's plan currently.

Born & raised in BOS, not to mention having been thru the aforementioned Blizzard of '78 & the April Fool's blizzard in'97-only Mother Nature knows where Sandy is going & she's not talking right now...

NYCQuaker Oct 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 19573092)
I seem to be heading in the wrong direction...going TO DCA in Monday and the BOS on Wed, at least that's plan currently.

Born & raised in BOS, not to mention having been thru the aforementioned Blizzard of '78 & the April Fool's blizzard in'97-only Mother Nature knows where Sandy is going & she's not talking right now...

We must have gotten greaser Sandy. :(

http://www.monologuedb.com/wp-conten...se-150x150.jpg