FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   WSJ recommends booking away from AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1389063-wsj-recommends-booking-away-aa.html)

Ambraciot Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 19344786)
Or maybe we'll see a return of a systemwide DEQM promotion.

Or maybe with fewer planes in the air and load factors analysts thought were impossible just a few years ago, they can afford to lose a few bookings in the short term.

jfinsocal Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 19344527)
When I made my OP on the thread that ended up bringing this to light, in order to get a sense whether something was broken with FlightStats I did browse DL and UA stats. And they didn't seem broken. Yesterday, for example, they cancelled 0.7% and arrived "ontime" 71% -- not great, but not broken (compare to AA's 3.3% and 46% and DL 0.2% and 67%).

If you are talking about Tuesday Sept 18, this is a bad data point - there were weather delays across the northeast. Today might be a better day to compare performance.

777 global mile hound Sep 19, 2012 11:47 am

I'll be hanging tough with American through he## or highwater
As long as US Air is not involved in any way running the company or the program
If it takes 3 days to get home or get to work so be it.
However I can always hop on another carrier either through rebooking or buying a ticket elsewhere.
Over a holiday period I might look at things differently
AA is the best of all what we have in our country and for today anyway I'm sticking to that story!

janetdoe Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 19344384)
If they don't like the union they may fire the employees, it is as simple as that.

I believe there are federal legal barriers that prevent firing people when they are negotiating through a union.

Can someone more knowledgeable contribute here?

lurcher Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Just another reason they should have went through this when everyone else was. Just like Ford - they try to do the right thing, everyone else gets some sort of financial/labor help and in the end they get screwed for being the "good guys".

2 hr delay last week on DFW-OKC, 1 hr this week (200 mile flight)

jumpdogjump Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Every day, my bid of $458.25 looks better and better! (see signature line)

MachOne Sep 19, 2012 2:37 pm

McCartney generally does pretty lightweight columns (not articles or stories). His pieces are mostly superficial in nature. His modus operandi starts with a grain of truth and like any good propagandist expands it logarithmically. It just what he does. Serious airline industry stories, in the WSJ, are left to real reporters.

MO

envgeo Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm

WSJ recommends booking away from AA

My brothers dfw-cmh went "mechanical " on Monday. And today his return also went "mechanical". Both times they need new equipment.

My dfw-iah flight did go mechanical today and an hour later we got a new aircraft to make the trip. Same crew so it was a mechanical issue.

SJCFlyerLG Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Seeing that this is the AA forum, it's not surprising that we would see a lot of fAAnboys defending the carrier, and bashing the competition. However, with regards to IIROPS, it's important to remember that as capacity has been cut, it's difficult for ANY domestic carrier to re-book. That's one of the reasons that I now have loyalty to non-stop flights, not carriers. YMMV.

gegarrenton Sep 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MachOne (Post 19346076)
McCartney generally does pretty lightweight columns (not articles or stories). His pieces are mostly superficial in nature. His modus operandi starts with a grain of truth and like any good propagandist expands it logarithmically. It just what he does. Serious airline industry stories, in the WSJ, are left to real reporters.

MO

I would agree with that assessment.

austin_res Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm flying AUS-ORD on Oct 11, returning on Oct 14. Fingers crossed that this issue is resolved before then.

PresRDC Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm

I booked a business class ticket to ICN today on JAL. This ticket would normally have gone to AA, but I have responsibilities at home and I need this trip to be a "get in, get the job done and get out" experience. Right now, I cannot count on AA to make that happen.

For the record, that is approximately US$7000 in lost revenue for AA.

FWAAA Sep 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 19346652)
I booked a business class ticket to ICN today on JAL. This ticket would normally have gone to AA, but I have responsibilities at home and I need this trip to be a "get in, get the job done and get out" experience. Right now, I cannot count on AA to make that happen.

For the record, that is approximately US$7000 in lost revenue for AA.

To punish AA you should have booked with UA/NH or with DL, because AA and JAL, thanks to their immunized joint venture, will share the profits from your purchase (don't know the details of that profit-sharing).

HumbleBee Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 19346781)
To punish AA you should have booked with UA/NH or with DL, because AA and JAL, thanks to their immunized joint venture, will share the profits from your purchase (don't know the details of that profit-sharing).

UA would be defeating the purpose.

Also he wasn't necessarily trying to punish AA... just to get home in time. Although if they share profits, I would've opted for JAL flights on AA stock

njfan07 Sep 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump (Post 19345973)
Every day, my bid of $458.25 looks better and better! (see signature line)

Check out the CNN report that is airing right now. AA is about to experience an avalanche of bad publicity.