FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   WSJ recommends booking away from AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1389063-wsj-recommends-booking-away-aa.html)

Panam Clipper Sep 18, 2012 10:46 pm

WSJ recommends booking away from AA

Could not find this posted yet...

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012.../?mod=yahoo_hs

not very encouraging.

HumbleBee Sep 18, 2012 10:49 pm

This is BS. UA is 10* worst. We should only book DL?

Panam Clipper Sep 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 19341615)
This is BS. UA is 10* worst.

Perhaps, but recent operational performance has been much worse at AA. Did you read the article?

The comments are quite strident as one might expect.

Radiant Flyer Sep 18, 2012 11:09 pm

The operational performance they are talking about is just the past few weeks, (Since AA tossed out the union contracts) not the summer or past year...

30 RT flights so far in 2012, only 2 have been canceled due to weather, and the majority on-time. This will pass.... Living in the SF Bay Area I have many friends who work for UA and loss everything during their reorganization, I expect the same with AA... Hopefully this will bring in lower fares this fall.

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper (Post 19341636)
Perhaps, but recent operational performance has been much worse at AA. Did you read the article?

HumbleBee Sep 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper (Post 19341636)

Yes.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

hillrider Sep 19, 2012 12:58 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 19341676)
This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Yesterday AA cancelled 5.8% of its flight and had an "on-time" arrival (less than 14 minutes late) of 39%, truly an operation in shambles given the clear skies. I'm not sure who doesn't have an idea on what's being talked about.

BTW, this probably belongs to the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-2012-a.html

HumbleBee Sep 19, 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 19341972)
Yesterday AA cancelled 5.8% of its flight and had an "on-time" arrival (less than 14 minutes late) of 39%, truly an operation in shambles given the clear skies. I'm not sure who doesn't have an idea on what's being talked about.

BTW, this probably belongs to the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-2012-a.html

Wonder how that compares to the worlds largest airlines handing out BPs written with pen and paper...

hillrider Sep 19, 2012 1:16 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 19341998)
Wonder how that compares to the worlds largest airlines handing out BPs written with pen and paper...

Factually, I am not sure why that's relevant. You're comparing something that happened for a portion of a day in the past (UA) with an ongoing issue in the present (AA).

I'm no UA or AA defender, but this article is about AA, not UA. And looking forward, the likelyhood that UA, DL, WN, B6, VX or whatever will have an operations in shambles due to having to hand write BPs is rather low, while the likelyhood that AA will still have problem with "sick" or "to the T" pilots are rather high.

Emotionally, please book AA (instead of UA, DL, WN, B6, VX or whatever): they need all the revenue they can get. Factually it's another story. And personally, I think they'll get everything back to acceptable levels by 1OCT. Just a hunch, based on experience, but nothing more.

HumbleBee Sep 19, 2012 1:24 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 19342012)
Factually, I am not sure why that's relevant. You're comparing something that happened for a portion of a day with an ongoing issue.

I'm no UA or AA defender, but this article is about AA, not UA. And looking forward, the likelyhood that UA, DL, WN, B6, VX or whatever will have an operations in shambles due to having to write BP is rather low, while the likelyhood that AA will still have problem with "sick" pilots are rather high.

Emotionally, please book AA (instead of UA, DL, WN, B6, VX or whatever): they need all the revenue they can get. Factually it's another story. And personally, I think they'll get everything back to acceptable levels by 1OCT. Just a hunch, based on experience, but nothing more.

The issues with UA are ongoing, I was just bringing that extreme example.

Theres also a difference between 10 flights arriving 30 minutes late (AA) which shows a mess, and 2 flights delayed 24+ hrs (AA) which is an airline in total failure. The handling is also rather different. UA in many cases simply leaves pax hanging. AA has excellent IRROPs management. There's even a thread here with an AA phone rep instructing a UA airport agent how to issue a ticket.

UAs day to day OPs are not working. Try to do a simple SDC. The agents are clueless, everything takes multiple calls to help centers. AA might not be running on time, but things are working.

Simply look here for the threads of UA elites and corp accts who can't rely on UA anymore, and moved to AA.

The idea that UA is more reliable than AA is laughable. Now, DL might be the best, but to make AA the worst is grossly incorrect IMHO.

hillrider Sep 19, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 19342042)
The issues with UA are ongoing, I was just bringing that extreme example.

Theres also a difference between 10 flights arriving 30 minutes late (AA) which shows a mess, and 2 flights delayed 24+ hrs (AA) which is an airline in total failure. The handling is also rather different. UA in many cases simply leaves pax hanging. AA has excellent IRROPs management. There's even a thread here with an AA phone rep instructing a UA airport agent how to issue a ticket.

UAs day to day OPs are not working. Try to do a simple SDC. The agents are clueless, everything takes multiple calls to help centers. AA might not be running on time, but things are working.

Simply look here for the threads of UA elites and corp accts who can't rely on UA anymore, and moved to AA.

The idea that UA is more reliable than AA is laughable. Now, DL might be the best, but to make AA the worst is grossly incorrect IMHO.

I see your point; as a non-UA (COdbaUA, acutally) flyer I don't know how bad their "normal" operations have become.

And AA indeed has an excellent IRROPs/OSO handling -- their outstanding autoreaccommodation tool, along with 90%+ of AA employees, makes them awesome.

NA-Flyer Sep 19, 2012 1:57 am

I think the writer is bringing out his anger at AA because he lost his EXP status recently and he is very mad about it :D:D

FlyerChrisK Sep 19, 2012 4:23 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 19342056)
I see your point; as a non-UA (COdbaUA, acutally) flyer I don't know how bad their "normal" operations have become.

And AA indeed has an excellent IRROPs/OSO handling -- their outstanding autoreaccommodation tool, along with 90%+ of AA employees, makes them awesome.

UA is a disaster, especially since the start of the summer. My planes have been hours late or in one particularly grim instance, I had a terrific double mechanical of a p.s. redeye in July that led to my flight being cancelled at 4:30AM.

Before you buy into the article's FUD, be sure to verify that the grass is actually greener.

chinatraderjmr Sep 19, 2012 4:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 19342561)
UA is a disaster, especially since the start of the summer. My planes have been hours late or in one particularly grim instance, I had a terrific double mechanical of a p.s. redeye in July that led to my flight being cancelled at 4:30AM.

Before you buy into the article's FUD, be sure to verify that the grass is actually greener.

The fact that UA is a disaster is not in doubt. But it wasn't always. A year ago everything was fine (or I should say as fine as any American carrier can be). But UA's downward spiral started somewhere just like AA's looks like its starting now. It's to late for UA to fix things quickly now. It's to much of a mess. It's not to late for AA But it will be soon if they don't get it together. If you think things are looking bad at AA now just wait for this merger. AA will be EXACTLY in the same shape as UA if this merger Is allowed to happen

TravellingMan Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 19342127)
I think the writer is bringing out his anger at AA because he lost his EXP status recently and he is very mad about it :D:D

LOL. That is what it sounds like. COdbaUA is in complete and utter chaos in comparison with AA. I wonder what makes Scott suggest AA is in a worse shape? Flying every week, I am confident with AA getting me there than COdbaUA.

HumbleBee Sep 19, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 19342596)
The fact that UA is a disaster is not in doubt. But it wasn't always. A year ago everything was fine (or I should say as fine as any American carrier can be). But UA's downward spiral started somewhere just like AA's looks like its starting now. It's to late for UA to fix things quickly now. It's to much of a mess. It's not to late for AA But it will be soon if they don't get it together. If you think things are looking bad at AA now just wait for this merger. AA will be EXACTLY in the same shape as UA if this merger Is allowed to happen

I don't think fine was the the right choice of a word... I mean, a FC cup that says AA on it isn't fine...

But it seems we agree telling people to stay away from AA is pathetic. They should stay away from UA.