Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ceases flights [all activity?] in Belgium 06 Nov 2012!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Ticket counter, marketing, corporate sales, cargo sales, warehouse, cargo handling, administration... AA does a lot in-house in BRU. Left over from more profitable times when they had the revenue for it, maybe.
AA used to have their EU Affairs Office (Gov't Relations) in BRU with about a half dozen staff I believe -- they also had an in-town office - no idea if it was closed. I wonder if the EU staff - if they are still in fact based there are part of the 33 or over and above it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by formeraa
33 employees to work a single 75L per day?!? That probably the problem right there. Too many employees for a single sub-200 seat aircraft for one daily departure.
I'd agree with that right there because the higher your fixed costs are the more revenue you need to cover your costs and obviously it didn't work out. With that being said I wouldn't be stunned if they are back in BRU in a few years.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
This really is surprising. BRU, as the seat of so much governmental and associated work, always appeared to be one of the better-yielding cities in Europe from the US.

UA added ORD-BRU last year and even up-gauged EWR-BRU to a PMUA 777 (presumably to offer first class). IAD-BRU has been permanently (for what that word is worth) up-gauged to a three-class 777 as well.

DL is still double-daily from the US on wide-bodies and SN just opened BRU-JFK on the A330.

It baffles me that AA can't make it work.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmhua777
This really is surprising. BRU, as the seat of so much governmental and associated work, always appeared to be one of the better-yielding cities in Europe from the US.

UA added ORD-BRU last year and even up-gauged EWR-BRU to a PMUA 777 (presumably to offer first class). IAD-BRU has been permanently (for what that word is worth) up-gauged to a three-class 777 as well.

DL is still double-daily from the US on wide-bodies and SN just opened BRU-JFK on the A330.

Brussels Airlines recently started BRU-JFK with an A330 and the move about two years ago of Brussels Airlines to *A probably didn't help.

Also I think AA lost InBev/AB to *A around the time AA discontinued ORD-BRU (a natural connector from STL).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
This is horrible When I lived in France, I used to fly into BRU in order avoid CDG... I cannot believe they are stopping operations in Belgium!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:17 pm

you clearly didnt read my post, #44

Originally Posted by cmhua777

Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by kahuna1993
Wafterwards we were rebooked by AA on a non stop UA flight instead of a itinarary with 1 stop on AA via JFK ...
No need for you to have accepted UA -- you could have insisted on staying on One World -- connecting in LHR or MAD. But, now that you are on UA be sure to collect both from UA for the flight you are taking and AA for the flights that you were booked on, but involuntarily aren't taking.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I avoid BA because of [...] the UK flouts EU law by not permitting opt-outs for its Nude-o-scopes.
Good grief! I didn't know this. Haven't been to London in too long, but going shortly. How am I to get out of London? Guess I will have to go surface to Ireland or the continent. No way am I going to allow people to either x-ray or microwave me. I'd have no problem going textile free through screening, but to subject one's body to those waves is pointless.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
I don't think this is the end of the world for BRU. My speculation is that part of the retraction is the more limited number of aircraft AA will have till it starts taking deliveries of some more newer planes.

If AA can junk additional high cost planes at the temporary cost of reducing some flight schedules it will only help them reduce their operating costs.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL
Darn. I currently have a reservation on hold for ATL-MIA-JFK-BRU-JFK-MIA-ATL for Oct 28 to Nov 8...am I screwed? This route is also part of my PLT challenge. The only other alternative I found is through MAD...should I request the change now or let AA take care of it? I don't want to drop below the 10K required for the challenge.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by DevilsX
Darn. I currently have a reservation on hold for ATL-MIA-JFK-BRU-JFK-MIA-ATL for Oct 28 to Nov 8...am I screwed? This route is also part of my PLT challenge. The only other alternative I found is through MAD...should I request the change now or let AA take care of it? I don't want to drop below the 10K required for the challenge.
You are ok on the outbound, but for the return you should take initiative or AA will re-route you with less segments - e.g BRU-LHR-ATL.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nrr
On many of the flights I've taken from jfk-zrh, I believe that lots of people are connecting out of zrh, so this may save zrh from the chopping block.
Connecting on what airline?

I would guess the connections would be *A on LX or UA?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I wonder if the EU staff - if they are still in fact based there are part of the 33 or over and above it.
I suppose they are as the articles mentioned 28 people working at the airport and 5 people working in 'an office'. (not more detailed)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I suppose they are as the articles mentioned 28 people working at the airport and 5 people working in 'an office'. (not more detailed)
Assumption. The 5 in the office could be the sales and marketing staff.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Connecting on what airline?

I would guess the connections would be *A on LX or UA?
At least with Finnair and Air Berlin. Easier & faster than at Frankfurt or London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.