FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA ceases flights [all activity?] in Belgium 06 Nov 2012! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1377102-aa-ceases-flights-all-activity-belgium-06-nov-2012-a.html)

kahuna1993 Aug 14, 2012 8:34 am

AA ceases flights [all activity?] in Belgium 06 Nov 2012!

Just found out that all activity by AA from Belgium wil cease on Nov. 06( updated at 5 pm local time , was noted as Nov. 01 before in first release by press agency Belga) ; I feel very bad for all AA employees ( ca. 33 ) who will lose their jobs , many after having been such good representatives for AA for many , many years !
Wondering how we will be able to continue using AA and AAdvantage miles departing from BRU ... Wondering when we will get an official mail from AA headquarters via mail to update the Belgian based AAdvantage members .
We were already sorry when they dropped BRU-ORD last year and only kept BRU-JFK , now this is also going .:td:

Wilbur Aug 14, 2012 9:06 am

This is a sad day, BRU was a nice entry point for Europe.

no1cub17 Aug 14, 2012 9:17 am

Wow - very shocking indeed. BRU is a great place to transit - and I definitely took advantage of AA codesharing on 9W flights a couple of times. Was a very convenient hassle-free way of getting to India. Too bad!!!

ethang801 Aug 14, 2012 9:21 am

is this confirmed by AA and are they now rebooking? i have a November itinerary that is JFK-BRU-DUB......

called and AA said that the flight isnt ending so they cant rebook yet.

not saying this to argue with the original statement, just letting people know that we cant yet rebook

guv1976 Aug 14, 2012 9:24 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since 9W is an AAdvantage partner, AA miles can still be redeemed on 9W's TATL nonstops in and out of BRU (but only at the SAAver level).

brp Aug 14, 2012 9:25 am

We were booked on ORD-BRU in February. Booked before they canned it (of course), but it was after the end date. They offered us JFK-BRU, but we opted for LAX-LHR-BRU since we like the LAX-LHR flight, actually like transit in LHR, and LHR-BRU on BA was short enough. Still sorry to see the BRU AA presence going away, though.

Cheers.

deputter Aug 14, 2012 9:26 am

I just checked AA for a frequent flyer ticket returning from BRU on 11/2 and they still list AA flights (no code share). Could it be that AA hasn't updated their website to reflect this yet?

Xero Aug 14, 2012 9:30 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 19117674)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since 9W is an AAdvantage partner, AA miles can still be redeemed on 9W's TATL nonstops in and out of BRU (but only at the SAAver level).

9W's JFK-BRU service is ending 9/10. However, EWR-BRU is continuing.

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Pres...NewYorkPR.aspx

bbkenney Aug 14, 2012 9:57 am

Sad indeed. BRU goes back a long ways. And I can agree from personal experience how good and helpful the AA people at BRU are.

Life_Platinum Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am

I called AA as we are scheduled into BRU in the spring, and the agent at DFW did not know anything about this change in service. I have not been able to find an official announcement, nor could the agent. If any one hears of a formal announcement, can you post it in this thread?

kahuna1993 Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am

repeat of the ORD-BRU cancellation

Originally Posted by ethang801 (Post 19117662)
is this confirmed by AA and are they now rebooking? i have a November itinerary that is JFK-BRU-DUB......

called and AA said that the flight isnt ending so they cant rebook yet.

not saying this to argue with the original statement, just letting people know that we cant yet rebook

When AA cancelled BRU-ORD we were booked on the flights after date of discontinue , when I called the premium desk in Dublin they did not believe me till I told them to call their main office which gave a press release 24 hrs earlier but did not update their own premium people ; afterwards we were rebooked by AA on a non stop UA flight instead of a itinarary with 1 stop on AA via JFK ...
Cancellation was just released a few hours ago via press in Belgium but their own AA Belgium website is still mumm on this .
Normally they can only rebook you when the cancellation is in the system and then it goes automatically and then you are supposed to start calling to get it changed if possible so better to insist now on rebooking and rescheduling before all flights you would like are booked up ...

Original press release in dutch as can be found on website of " de standaard " and google news , date of discontinuation has now been updated to Nov. 06 !!!All communication goes via AA London UK and local Belgian personel got already preliminary notice of termination according to this article ...

Vanaf 6 november zet American Airlines alle activiteiten stop in België wegens de slechte economische vooruitzichten. Door het vertrek zullen 33 jobs verloren gaan. Dat meldt BBTK-secretaris Olivier Van Camp dinsdag.
In een persmededeling luidt het dat de verbinding Brussel-New York geschrapt wordt 'in het licht van meer performantie, markvooruitzichten en trends'. De stopzetting werd mondeling meegedeeld, aldus de vakbondsman. American Airlines heeft in Brussel wel veel concurrentie voor vluchten naar de VS. Alle Noord-Amerikaanse maatschappijen die transatlantische vluchten aanbieden, vliegen immers op Brussel. Door de stopzetting verdwijnen volgens Van Camp 33 banen: 5 in het kantoor in Brussel en 28 op de luchthaven Brussels Airport.

American Airlines is al sinds eind de jaren tachtig aanwezig op de luchthaven van Zaventem. Vandaag vliegt de maatschappij dagelijks op New York JFK, vroeger ook op Chicago en Dallas. Alle communicatie over de stopzetting van de activiteiten verloopt overigens via het kantoor van de maatschappij in Londen.

De medewerkers zijn geïnformeerd en er loopt momenteel een consultatieronde bij het personeel. Indien nodig zal de maatschappij alle passagiers inlichten over alternatieve routes, of hen een volledige terugbetaling aanbieden.

Moderator insert of Google Translate translation:

Code:

Effective November 6, American Airlines puts all activities stop in
Belgium because of the poor economic outlook. The departure will be 33
jobs lost. That report BBTK Secretary Olivier Van Camp Tuesday.

In a press release states that the Brussels-New York deletion "in the light
of more performance, market outlook and trends. The suspension was
orally said the trade unionist. American Airlines in Brussels has a lot of
competition for flights to the U.S.. All North American airlines offer
transatlantic flights, since flying to Brussels. By the cessation disappear
according to Van Camp 33 jobs: 5 in the Brussels office and 28 at
Brussels Airport.

American Airlines has been around since the late eighties present at the
airport of Zaventem. Today the company flies daily to New York JFK,
formerly at Chicago and Dallas. All communication regarding the cessation
of activities also takes place through the office of the society in London.

The employees are informed and there is currently a consultation with the
staff. If necessary the company will inform all passengers on alternative
routes, or offer them a full refund.

kcaluwae Aug 14, 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kahuna1993 (Post 19117382)
Just found out that all activity by AA from Belgium wil cease on Nov. 06( updated at 5 pm local time ) ; I feel very bad for all AA employees ( ca. 33 ) who will lose their jobs , many after having been such good representatives for AA for many , many years !
Wondering how we will be able to continue using AA and AAdvantage miles departing from BRU ... Wondering when we will get an official mail from AA headquarters via mail to update the Belgian based AAdvantage members .
We were already sorry when they dropped BRU-ORD last year and only kept BRU-JFK , now this is also going .:td:

This is very sad news indeed. I loved AA, their 757 service was not that enjoyable but luckily for me I could choose good seats upfront which still made it enjoyable.

Since BA gives 100% miles I don't mind flying them so much. Service is quite good as well. Upgrades only on full-fare but I suppose I will do BRU-LHR on BA and as of LHR continue on AA. Still gives some upgrade possibility.

Off course I will miss the direct flight. Very sad to see this go! :(

sent Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

I just booked an award ticket home BRU-JFK this morning...

Now I need to call and get this fixed?

irishguy28 Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

Originally Posted by sent (Post 19118095)
I just booked an award ticket home BRU-JFK this morning...

Now I need to call and get this fixed?

What's the rush?

The news has only just broken. They won't even know when you ring up that there is any reason to change your flight.

Given that you must be travelling some time after November 06, I'd give it a while.

AAerSTL Aug 14, 2012 10:32 am

Blast from March 2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...bru-doing.html

I guess all the talk of AA being the "market leader" and highest average fare wasn't enough to keep them on the route.

Seriously, the 75L is a dumpy aircraft why fly AA when DL has 763ERs with flat bed J/nose-to-tail AVOD and SN has their new A330 service?

Can't say I'm surprised by this.